SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Arthur was only going to be a cat 1 hurricane at worst and take the exact path the NHC had last night. I mean, that's what a couple of folks said last night.

Yep.  They're not wrong yet...but it looks like it will make Cat 2 status and go a bit west of where it looked like yesterday at this time.  Originally, I thought this one would stay offshore.  It still might, but it's looking more and more like I will end up being wrong about that.

When you're done with the rain, send some our way, OK?  Thanks.  We're not at crispy-yard stage, but some would be welcome.

Momma turkey and her three surviving poults have been sticking close to the house, or rather, living in the treeline and coming out to graze in the lawn and drink out of the temporary bird-waterer.  The "regular" does have not been seen as frequently as in previous years, but their yearling offspring wander through regularly.  Deer ticks everywhere, ugh.

Yesterday I was installing a new gasket on my BGE, and Momma turkey was nervously watching from the treeline.  Smoked wild turkey, yum, but not until the season opens.  And I would prefer to hunt a male, we need the females alive to raise more poults.  Neighboring dogs that are allowed wander during the day kill off most of each year's brood.

The camouflage of a wild turkey in the woods is *impressive*.  If she hadn't moved her head to keep an eye on her kids, I'd have never found her.

Tonight we're taking advantage of Arthur's subsidence to smoke some salmon ... hurricanes and grilling meat just go together, even when you're 300 miles inland and still have power :)

Archived