Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

I read that article as well.

The National Hurricane Center said Arthur is the earliest hurricane to hit North Carolina since records began in 1851. The previous record was July 11, 1901.

Wow, I actually didn't know that. It was just a guess. Of course, the rest of the season could be quiet. You never know.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that article as well.

The National Hurricane Center said Arthur is the earliest hurricane to hit North Carolina since records began in 1851. The previous record was July 11, 1901.

Splitting hairs, but this hurricane's eyewall almost certainly hit the Outer Banks -- and it's described as a US hit on Wikipedia. I'm guessing the actual center stayed just offshore. (Edit: found a zoomed in track and it indeed did not cross the island. It was also assessed to be 65 knots at closest passage, so Outer Banks likely did not experience hurricane conditions. So it was close, but no cigar)

track.gif

Why was there so little wind damage from Arthur? Did the 85-kt winds in the eyewall stay offshore while Arthur moved over Pamlico and Abermarle Sounds? Maybe the dry air prevented the winds from mixing down to standard 10-m elevation, no?

Well there was a 101mph wind gust. Alex 2004 had a 115mph wind gust and there was little damage. I guess their structures are well built to withstand the winds. Nova Scotia had more wind damage than NC.

Archived