• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Stovepipe

Picked my first two tomatoes of the season today, big ol' Pink Brandywines. Two or three days in the windowsill and they'll be perfect. The surge is coming. I expect to be canning by early July.

Two thumbs up!!! Was a great year to plant early. I am probably three weeks out. Latitude and planting later would be the reason. Plants are healthy with lots of maters. So, like u say, the harvest should be plentiful. Said that one year though and got severe late blight. Wiped out every plant in a week!!!! Knock on wood.

All the talk about blight and rot got me paranoid about running the sprinkler so I figured I'd go for the soaker hose. Got something that looks like this from Lowes for about $24, it's 100 feet long and I plan to run four 25 foot sections:

4C5VlQE.jpg

I may add an additional 50-100 feet to cover another set of raised rows depending on how dry we get.

I have no love for hoes! I covered my garlic in wheat straw last fall and the wheat seeds germinated. It's been a pain pulling all of that out of the beds. That and all of the little tomato seedlings that come up from the home made compost. I need to go back to burying my plants in woodchips.

I've never tried pumpkins, keep us updated on how these turn out for you this year.

Just put mine in today. This heat(accompanied by dry conditions) is making it tough. Had to do something. How is your system doing?

Great thread, always follow it closely. I live north of NYC on a small suburban property so have a cooler climate and less space, but I manage a garden. Here is what I have:

8 lettuce plants, mostly oakleaf

8 cabbage, some red, some green
2 varieties arugula, mostly Apollo
1 kale
20 basil/purple basil
4 tomatoes, cherry, beefsteak, Lemon Boy and Brandywine
4 peppers, sweet and hot
2 zucchini
2 eggplant, Black Beauty and Japanese
1 winter squash, Guatemalan blue
oregano
dill
wild mint
thyme
sage

tarragon

I have harvested a lot of greens and herbs, especially arugula and oakleaf lettuce which went nuts. Basil has gotten huge. Zucchini has several fruits but not big enough to harvest.Tomatoes are flowering and so are eggplants but no fruits yet. I have a second round of arugula getting ready.

We don't have nearly the heat...most days this June have been in the 70s, a few in the 60s, and the first two days of June had highs of 58F and 54F. So it's a little different up here...I have been gardening since 2008 and learned a lot. Just started composting again, and can't wait for this year's harvest.

Here are some pics from this year..

post-475-0-55350200-1434814085_thumb.jpg

Usually grow Apollo Arugula but this variety with serrated leaves is good too, looks a bit like frisee.

post-475-0-52403500-1434814118_thumb.jpg

Red cabbage planted in early April, almost ready...also have the green variety. These guys get huge.

post-475-0-28212300-1434814154_thumb.jpg

Growing slowly with the cool weather. Love fresh eggplant though, makes pasta delicious.

post-475-0-94557900-1434814183_thumb.jpg

Tomato plants have a few flowers but also suffering from lack of heat.

post-475-0-73647900-1434814206_thumb.jpg

Lettuce has gone nuts this year, bought this early April and has yielded for almost 2 months.

post-475-0-26642900-1434814236_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to harvest my first zucchini. Has some powdery mildew though...

post-475-0-90176700-1434814266_thumb.jpg

Love making salads with fresh greens from the garden. 

Great pics and happy gardening. I'm jealous of that weather!

We've been humid and in the 90s except for today, but they return tomorrow with mid to upper 90s possible. Gonna make me dread hoeing my stuff but I know I have to. My cabbage is done, I got it in the ground too late tbh, but I still have some 2-3 pound heads. All the warm weather plants are doing pretty well, it's rained at night two nights in a row and been rainy today. I expect a burst of growth over the next couple of days.

Great thread, always follow it closely. I live north of NYC on a small suburban property so have a cooler climate and less space, but I manage a garden. Here is what I have:

8 lettuce plants, mostly oakleaf

8 cabbage, some red, some green

2 varieties arugula, mostly Apollo

1 kale

20 basil/purple basil

4 tomatoes, cherry, beefsteak, Lemon Boy and Brandywine

4 peppers, sweet and hot

2 zucchini

2 eggplant, Black Beauty and Japanese

1 winter squash, Guatemalan blue

oregano

dill

wild mint

thyme

sage

tarragon

I have harvested a lot of greens and herbs, especially arugula and oakleaf lettuce which went nuts. Basil has gotten huge. Zucchini has several fruits but not big enough to harvest.Tomatoes are flowering and so are eggplants but no fruits yet. I have a second round of arugula getting ready.

We don't have nearly the heat...most days this June have been in the 70s, a few in the 60s, and the first two days of June had highs of 58F and 54F. So it's a little different up here...I have been gardening since 2008 and learned a lot. Just started composting again, and can't wait for this year's harvest.

Nzucker, nice looking set-up. Our weather flipped hot and has never looked back. Looks like you have a really good variety. I always enjoy seeing other folks' seed and plant lists. Nice pics. I agree...fun thread. Appreciate Stove for starting it. Send some of those 70s this way!!! Keep posting your garden pics.

Just put mine in today. This heat(accompanied by dry conditions) is making it tough. Had to do something. How is your system doing?

I'm very happy with my system overall.  The hose in the second kit that I bought does have some "sprayers" that keep the bottom leaves of some plants wet and yellow.  The original kit doesn't spray at all.  Not a big deal, the system has done a great job at keeping my soil nice and wet.  It saturates a nice large area.  We'll see how the hose holds up over time.

Here are some pics from this year..

attachicon.gifgarden2arugula.jpg

Usually grow Apollo Arugula but this variety with serrated leaves is good too, looks a bit like frisee.

attachicon.gifgarden3cabbage.jpg

Red cabbage planted in early April, almost ready...also have the green variety. These guys get huge.

attachicon.gifgarden4eggplant.jpg

Growing slowly with the cool weather. Love fresh eggplant though, makes pasta delicious.

attachicon.gifgarden6tomato.jpg

Tomato plants have a few flowers but also suffering from lack of heat.

attachicon.gifgarden7redlettuce.jpg

Lettuce has gone nuts this year, bought this early April and has yielded for almost 2 months.

attachicon.gifgarden8zucchini.jpg

Can't wait to harvest my first zucchini. Has some powdery mildew though...

attachicon.gifgarden9salad.jpg

Love making salads with fresh greens from the garden. 

Thanks for sharing photos of your stuff, it all looks great!  Love that purple cabbage.

Great pics and happy gardening. I'm jealous of that weather!

We've been humid and in the 90s except for today, but they return tomorrow with mid to upper 90s possible. Gonna make me dread hoeing my stuff but I know I have to. My cabbage is done, I got it in the ground too late tbh, but I still have some 2-3 pound heads. All the warm weather plants are doing pretty well, it's rained at night two nights in a row and been rainy today. I expect a burst of growth over the next couple of days.

John, how do you deal with the white fly worms on your cabbage?  I've given up on brussels, cabbage, and broccoli due to them.  Last year I tried some organic spray but it didn't really help.

I'm very happy with my system overall.  The hose in the second kit that I bought does have some "sprayers" that keep the bottom leaves of some plants wet and yellow.  The original kit doesn't spray at all.  Not a big deal, the system has done a great job at keeping my soil nice and wet.  It saturates a nice large area.  We'll see how the hose holds up over time.

Thanks for sharing photos of your stuff, it all looks great!  Love that purple cabbage.

John, how do you deal with the white fly worms on your cabbage?  I've given up on brussels, cabbage, and broccoli due to them.  Last year I tried some organic spray but it didn't really help.

On plants that don't flower, I use Seven dust. It's the only thing I ever use any pesticide on at all in my garden. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to keep them from getting eaten. Since they don't flower, I'm not hurting honey bees.

Great pics guys!! I've been harvesting hot peppers for a few weeks now. My bell peppers are about ready to get picked. Tomatoes are all green but I anticipate more than I know what to do with in about a week or two. I plan on harvesting my first zucchini thhis weekend as well. I've had to water by hand nearly every play though, all in all I've found this to be a very rewarding and relaxing hobby. I get home from work and tend to my garden, it's "dirt therapy"

On plants that don't flower, I use Seven dust. It's the only thing I ever use any pesticide on at all in my garden. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to keep them from getting eaten. Since they don't flower, I'm not hurting honey bees.

Ah ok, I recall my mom using that in her garden many years ago.  Good for you not harming the bees.  :)

Great pics guys!! I've been harvesting hot peppers for a few weeks now. My bell peppers are about ready to get picked. Tomatoes are all green but I anticipate more than I know what to do with in about a week or two. I plan on harvesting my first zucchini thhis weekend as well. I've had to water by hand nearly every play though, all in all I've found this to be a very rewarding and relaxing hobby. I get home from work and tend to my garden, it's "dirt therapy"

Well said my friend!

Stove, not organic but natural. I use this. Not a pesticide.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fertilome-dipel-dust-p-1714.html

That said, I try to use as little as possible so I don't harm any unwanted caterpillar populations.

I just placed an order, thanks Carvers!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I went to see the Dead play their final shows in Chicago over the weekend (best concerts I've ever seen in my life hands down btw) and came home to this:

e318458c9f9fc233a8f298dc4e7b3017.jpg

A bushel basket plus another small bucket or two of maters. There were probably 30 fallen soldiers in addition that over ripened or got pecked by birds etc. Canned 14 quarts the first night back and need to do twice that.

3f0a018da42cb809c18015911621b9a6.jpg

We're blowing up over here with the pattern shift that brought more rain. This is the earliest and biggest yield of tomatoes we've seen since we started gardening. Getting more than we can eat, can, or give away. Nuts dude!

Zucker, time for an update. 

LOL, thanks for calling me out...Got some new stuff coming along in the garden.

post-475-0-97809200-1436672007_thumb.jpg

This was one of the smaller red cabbages I harvested...

post-475-0-24857300-1436672027_thumb.jpg

Inside of a large red cabbage freshly picked.

post-475-0-35887100-1436672053_thumb.jpg

Eggplant now has a fruit, was just developing in this photo.

post-475-0-79112200-1436672075_thumb.jpg

My first zucchini, although powdery mildew and cool weather has slowed plant down.

It hasn't been that hot here this year, although the last few days in the mid 80s has pushed the garden along. I should be harvesting cherry tomatoes within a week or so, regular sized tomatoes in 2 weeks, along with eggplant and zucchini. I am still harvesting cabbage, and a big green one is almost ready to be picked. Cabbage has been one of my highlights this year, excellent crop with delicious flavor. I also made a bunch of pesto with all my basil, as I have at least 20 plants.

Will update this thread more as the garden warrants...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, my tomato yield is down to about a third of what it was in June as the plants are starting to look a bit rough.  I'm sitting on 45 quarts of whole tomatoes.  There is still enough coming in every 3 or 4 days to can or give a bunch away.  I think I'm going to switch to canning juice now in half gallon jars.  It's nice to bust out a jar of that in winter and make pasta sauce in a crock pot. 

It has been a busy and fairly productive summer.  I'm going to miss having the fresh produce around but am also excited about the fall/winter plantings.  It's about to be collard season, yay!

This fall I'm going for the following:

- Garlic and Onions (for early summer harvest)

- Potatoes in ground now for fall harvest

- Lots of spinach

- Lots of collards

- Maybe some lettuce

I will probably start the collards and spinach within the next two weeks.

Man John I hate to hear that. Do you have any left worth trying to salvage? Aside from putting a couple guard dogs there to protect it, another trick my grandfather and I used to use on our melon patch was urine. Now before anyone laughs me off and thinks I'm crazy, it actually works. The human scent will repel animals. Just have to save enough containers like milk jugs and cool whip containers to scatter around the patch. Of course it requires a strong stomach to do this, but if you do this and keep it out there, you will be surprised at how it helps. You will have to replace it if it rains and or after about a week, but it was always worth it to do for our melon patches. We had several 5-10 acre sized fields that we raised watermelons and cantaloupes on when I was growing up. We always sold them to grocers and wholesale buyers. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Taught me a lot about hard work and the benefits of doing it. Something a lot of kids are missing these days. Brings back a lot of memories, but I digress though. Fwiw though that technique will work.

• 1 month later...

As of yesterday, September 13th, I have everything planted for fall/winter except for the garlic which will go in next weekend.  Here's my line up:

Collards

Lettuce (butter crunch, red, and romaine)

Spinach

Cabbage (45 day variety)

Kale

Mustard Greens

Turnip Greens

Rye (Winter Magic) and Crimson Clover for cover crops

I'm struggling to get spinach seeds to germinate.  After reading up on it, apparently they can be finicky about temps and may not sprout if it's too hot.  I planted like 3 weeks ago so I'm sure that is the problem, it's nearly a month earlier than I usually plant.  I may have to replant now that things have cooled off a bit.

This go around I'm trying something a little bit different with cover crops based on a buddy of mine's suggestion.  Rather than just plant crimson clover to fix nitrogen over the winter then pull it up in the spring, I mixed the clover with rye (not rye grass) which should grow as high as six feet.  I did this in the two main beds that I plan on having tomatoes and peppers in next summer. 

The idea is come spring I'll cut it all with hedge trimmers at about 1 foot, before post hole digging to plant the maters and peppers, and leave the cut clover and rye on there as a mulch.  This should add root structure to the soil, nutrients from the biomass, and discourage weeds.  It should also re-seed itself for the fall.  We'll see how well this actually works, although my friend has had good luck with it in the past.

For the other beds I'm adding shredded wheat straw, eventually shredded leaves (for minerals), and some finely chipped wood chips.  All of that should decompose nicely over winter and help to keep weeds out.  I lucked into getting a hand me down wood chipper from a family member and that thing has been awesome.  Rather than just throwing my old warm season plants into the compost bin I've been shredding them up and that is resulting in much faster and better compost.

I'll get some pictures posted soon.  What is everyone else doing for fall/winter this time?  Oh and Carvers, how often do you apply your Dipple Dust to your cabbage?  This will be my first season using it.  I'm already seeing white flies around and put an initial light coating of dust on the new plants.  Just not sure how often to refresh it, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got weeds growing in this heat. Makes me want to plant a few things. Looking forward to the last freeze so I can start planting. I have a new property this year where I can actually plant in the ground instead of pots. Also scored some tomato seeds from my grandfather that he planted every year when he was still here.

I've got weeds growing in this heat. Makes me want to plant a few things. Looking forward to the last freeze so I can start planting. I have a new property this year where I can actually plant in the ground instead of pots. Also scored some tomato seeds from my grandfather that he planted every year when he was still here.

That's awesome, hope your tomato plants do well.  I know harvesting those will be extra special!