• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Stovepipe

I bought a few new flowers to add to the garden out front. One to replace my burned plant, he definitely bit the dust in the freeze last night. Also purchased two new veggies this time I went with green bell peppers. I'll post some pictures of the progress of my plants once the green bells get used to their new spot. Bonnie's best with their pots that you plant sure do seem to limit the transplant shock. Whoever has a patent on those made some serious bank.

Oh on another note. My local lowes and home depot got hit HARD last night from the freeze. 80% of their veggies and herbs got wiped out from the freeze. It was a slaughter.

Yikes!  That sucks but it might be worth sifting through the mess to find some slightly damaged plants.  I've gotten free plants from them before that were in rough shape but were brought back to healthy in my garden.

Yesterday I got a few more things in the ground:

White onions

Red onions

Elephant garlic

Shallots

Leeks

I'm thiiiiiis close to taunting mother nature by putting 10 or so tomato seedlings in the ground.  My wife is going to pick up a trailer load of mushroom compost from Monterey Mushrooms tomorrow.  I can't wait to start playing with that.  I also found a free source of donkey manure that will come in handy later on.  I can almost taste the heirloom tomatoes now... it's been too long!

My flower garden!!  Survived the 26 degree hard freeze last weekend due to me covering and watering.

The Tulips are beyond words beautiful

post-2727-0-23651300-1427822406_thumb.jp

post-2727-0-51032600-1427822415_thumb.jp

My Container garden out back

Red Bell, Green Bell and Cowhorn hot peppers - they are starting to show little fruit buds already!!

post-2727-0-14039800-1427822421_thumb.jp

I hope I did the pairing correctly.....

Stove......I think you need to have a big picnic for all of us once the harvest starts rolling in!!!   Wish I could try something like this, but our property is too shaded with mature oaks.  Happy growing to all!!!

TN Valley sub-forum picnic sounds like a great idea!

I hope I did the pairing correctly.....

Your flowers and peppers look great, nice work!

Just installed about 150 sweet onion bulbs and 3 thirty foot rows of peas. Probably roll out some cabbage soon. Then it'll be time to prepare for tomatogeddon. I'm going for 2 pounders this year.

I expect to see lots of pics John!

If anyone is looking for mushroom compost in east TN, take a drive over to Monterey Mushrooms in Loudon.  They sell it for $50 a truckload or they'll fill up a utility trailer for $35.  That is a heck of a lot cheaper than what landscaping services or dirt companies sell it for.  It can be as high as $230 for a 1 ton dump truck load and those companies get it from Monterey Mushrooms anyway so might as well get it from the source yourself.

http://www.montereymushrooms.com/about-us/company-divisions/fresh-division/loudon-facility/

Call ahead to confirm what days and times it's available.  I got a trailer load yesterday and it's dank.  Can't wait to get it in my garden beds.  It really is black gold, plants love the stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I put 24 mater plants and 5 basils in the ground last weekend, with about 50 more maters to go.  I'd planned to put in another 25 this coming weekend.  At the moment I could probably cover everything up if frost comes knockin.  Any more and I'll have out kicked my coverage.  I don't know what to think at this point.  It's tricky this early but the payoff of early tomatoes is huge.  Not sure yet if I'm going to roll the dice or not.  It'll probably come down to what the models are showing Saturday morning.

• 4 weeks later...

This year's crops: Jerusalem artichokes, rhubarb, strawberries, several varieties of lettuce, onions, celery, kale, carrots, dill, oregano, fennel, several varieties of basil, several varieties of peppers, several varieties of tomatoes, two varieties of potatoes, crookneck squash, beans, cucumbers, and sweet potatoes.

^^ Lookin good guys!

I got the rest of my warm season plants in the ground last week.  Aside from a few miscellaneous things like an herb here or there and replacing a large bed of garlic with potatoes, I think I'm set til fall.  Ended up with right at 75 tomatoes which is significantly less than last year.  But, this time I spaced things out much more so hopefully I can baby them better and get better yields.

Here is what is in the ground as of May 12:

75 tomatoes (pink brandywine, cherokee purple, goldmans italian, early girl, sun sugar)

17 peppers (green bell, cajun bell, jalapeno)

7 sweet basil

8 cauliflowers

several different lettuces which are about done

spinach

kale

garlic (german red, kettle river giant, elephant, and some random grocery store variety)

onions (yellow, red, white)

leeks

shallots

oregano

cucumbers

3 half rows of sweet corn (3 more half rows in 3 weeks)

It's no fun having to run the sprinkler in this drought, but so far everything is growing nicely.  Corn came up in about 6 days.  I have a few green tomatoes.  The fall planted garlic is looking good, maybe another 3 weeks and it'll fall over and be harvested.  The kale went nuts this year.  I ended up with freaking giant plants, way more than I could eat so I've been giving it away.  The cauliflower is huge but not making heads yet.  All in all the season is off to a good start over here.

With 75 tomato plants, everyone you know should be in tomatoes all summer long.

I had 100 in the ground last year.  I lost count of how many jars I canned but we ran out around February.  The withdrawals have been rough.  Love me some maters.

So John, has the mountain top turned green yet?

I had 100 in the ground last year.  I lost count of how many jars I canned but we ran out around February.  The withdrawals have been rough.  Love me some maters.

So John, has the mountain top turned green yet?

Yes, it greened up to 3500 feet last week. I put in a more modest 25 tomato plants. I have around a dozen pepper plants. 8 rows of corn around 40 feet long each. 4 rows of cabbage. 3 rows of potatoes. A row of sweet potatoes. 15 cucumber hills. 8 watermelon hills. 5 zucchini hills. 10 cantaloupe hills. 5 big max pumpkin hills. 4 rows of sweet onions. 2 rows of peas that are already knee high and in full bloom. 3 rows of green beans. I'll plant 2 more rows of corn at least in a few weeks and more beans too.

Yes, it greened up to 3500 feet last week. I put in a more modest 25 tomato plants. I have around a dozen pepper plants. 8 rows of corn around 40 feet long each. 4 rows of cabbage. 3 rows of potatoes. A row of sweet potatoes. 15 cucumber hills. 8 watermelon hills. 5 zucchini hills. 10 cantaloupe hills. 5 big max pumpkin hills. 4 rows of sweet onions. 2 rows of peas that are already knee high and in full bloom. 3 rows of green beans. I'll plant 2 more rows of corn at least in a few weeks and more beans too.

Bro, that post needs to be moved to the "farming" thread. Lol. Seriously, nice work right there. Send in some pics as it grows.

Impressive, very nice sir!

Wow you're not playing around John, nice work!  Yes we need some pics.

^^ Lookin good guys!

I got the rest of my warm season plants in the ground last week.  Aside from a few miscellaneous things like an herb here or there and replacing a large bed of garlic with potatoes, I think I'm set til fall.  Ended up with right at 75 tomatoes which is significantly less than last year.  But, this time I spaced things out much more so hopefully I can baby them better and get better yields.

Here is what is in the ground as of May 12:

75 tomatoes (pink brandywine, cherokee purple, goldmans italian, early girl, sun sugar)

17 peppers (green bell, cajun bell, jalapeno)

7 sweet basil

8 cauliflowers

several different lettuces which are about done

spinach

kale

garlic (german red, kettle river giant, elephant, and some random grocery store variety)

onions (yellow, red, white)

leeks

shallots

oregano

cucumbers

3 half rows of sweet corn (3 more half rows in 3 weeks)

It's no fun having to run the sprinkler in this drought, but so far everything is growing nicely.  Corn came up in about 6 days.  I have a few green tomatoes.  The fall planted garlic is looking good, maybe another 3 weeks and it'll fall over and be harvested.  The kale went nuts this year.  I ended up with freaking giant plants, way more than I could eat so I've been giving it away.  The cauliflower is huge but not making heads yet.  All in all the season is off to a good start over here.

Nice selection. Jimmy Nardello peppers are my favorite. SSE has them. Really like your garlic choices. I have never grown it but prob will this fall.