joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are really rough, but I kind of like that about them. The lightning was constant--strobe, cloud to cloud, cloud to ground. Really beautiful.

Edit: And no matter how many times I rotate them till the image is right side up, it doesn't stick. Technology skill fail.

photo 2

photo 1

Is this line making it to Hatchshell in 2.5 hrs...?

LOL, doubtful but would be funny.

Wow was that wild.

Line did exactly make it to Hatchshell in 2.5 hours.

Esplanade fireworks were moved up 30 minutes (10pm instead of 10:30pm) because of it.

Minutes after the show ended, torrential rain and lightning came in like a wall. You could even here screams from crowds upstream before it arrived. Hundreds of people running for cover, not a safe scene at all. Surprised no reports of people getting injured, it was as close to a stampede as I've ever seen.

Still perplexed why they didn't move the show to Saturday like most towns. Must be a behind-the-scenes issue with the performers or money or something.

Wow was that wild.

Line did exactly make it to Hatchshell in 2.5 hours.

Esplanade fireworks were moved up 30 minutes (10pm instead of 10:30pm) because of it.

Minutes after the show ended, torrential rain and lightning came in like a wall. You could even here screams from crowds upstream before it arrived. Hundreds of people running for cover, not a safe scene at all. Surprised no reports of people getting injured, it was as close to a stampede as I've ever seen.

Still perplexed why they didn't move the show to Saturday like most towns. Must be a behind-the-scenes issue with the performers or money or something.

I don't think anyone anticipate a bow echo like that, when nothing supported it. Such is the nature of convection sometimes . The beach boys weren't available Saturday. That's why it was last night. :facepalm:

Pretty surprised at the number of wind reports in the valley for the second round last night, Northampton particularly.  A lane of I91 was blocked.  UMass also lost numerous large limbs and a couple trees and the weather station got a gust of 37mph, which is actually pretty darn high historically speaking for that spot.  So much for my whining about how linear mode sucks in the Valley, though more often than not it does.  But I was quite nearby when it went down and didn't get nearly the effects, so there may have been some localized embedded cell that tracked from Noho->Hadley-> Amherst coincident with the reports.

The Sheffield cell did produce severe hail, but no golfballs anywhere that I saw yesterday.  There was a 2" report in NH though on the TOR warned right moving cell.   All in all a pretty impressive display, capped off with as good a lightning show as I've seen in a while... natures fireworks >>> human fireworks

I don't think anyone anticipate a bow echo like that, when nothing supported it. Such is the nature of convection sometimes . The beach boys weren't available Saturday. That's why it was last night. :facepalm:

Actually, I'd argue that evidence of bow formation was already apparent even before 8pm:

It's interesting that this continued to accelerate to the coast, with best shear in western MA.

It was the southern part of the bow in that image (between Hartford and the MA border) that accelerated into the Boston metro area by 10:40pm. Several thousand lost power in Boston metro including Cambridge, Brighton, Framingham etc.

Funny... I was in Madison WI last weekend... from my vantage, this little bow echo was more impressive than the "derecho" event on Monday that impacted northern IL / southern WI.

Yeah Beach Boys... I figured it was something like that. Would have been a spectacular and more typical 4th celebration on Saturday with clear weather and an actual day off.

Actually, I'd argue that evidence of bow formation was already apparent even before 8pm:

attachicon.gifBow_echo_4th_July_Thunderstorms_07_03_2014.PNG

It's interesting that this continued to accelerate to the coast, with best shear in western MA.

It was the southern part of the bow in that image (between Hartford and the MA border) that accelerated into the Boston metro area by 10:40pm. Several thousand lost power in Boston metro including Cambridge, Brighton, Framingham etc.

Funny... I was in Madison WI last weekend... from my vantage, this little bow echo was more impressive than the "derecho" event on Monday that impacted northern IL / southern WI.

Yeah Beach Boys... I figured it was something like that. Would have been a spectacular and more typical 4th celebration on Saturday with clear weather and an actual day off.

Well I meant more when the line was by HFD. I certainly didn't expect the line to be that intense as it reached BOS. Probably 96/100 times those weaken considerably..esp at night. Looking back, there was some support for it to survive//mainly from high dews and instability. 

Late to the party but we had some minor wind damage from the storm Thursday night. Our wooden swing set was toppled and blown ten feet into the woods, a decent sized pine fell partially blocking the road in front of my house, and my neighbor had two cars damaged by an 8" diameter pine bough.

Late to the party but we had some minor wind damage from the storm Thursday night. Our wooden swing set was toppled and blown ten feet into the woods, a decent sized pine fell partially blocking the road in front of my house, and my neighbor had two cars damaged by an 8" diameter pine bough.

Wow! Pretty meh over here

The atmosphere was still highly unstable and the line of storms was riding along the nose of increasing 0-6km bulk shear which allowed the line not only to remain intact but intensify as well...the line was also likely riding along a cold pool which probably helped to enhance and intensify the bow.  I also believe there was a pocket of 6.5 C/KM lapse rates across NE MA which allowed for stronger updraft acceleration.  

Archived