• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe threat: srn Plains states + IA / MO May 7-9

Some very nice soundings coming out of central MN on the 00z NAM for tomorrow evening.

It shows a nice dry punch aloft coming in behind the morning convection through the afternoon with steep mid level lapse rates near the triple point in addition to a strong upper level jet with its left entrance region plowing right over top, really textbook for this type of setup.

21z SREF looking more impressive as well.

CvKBck2.gif

N0WWJ32.gif

5Nhz76V.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very nice soundings coming out of central MN on the 00z NAM for tomorrow evening.

It shows a nice dry punch aloft coming in behind the morning convection through the afternoon with steep mid level lapse rates near the triple point in addition to a strong upper level jet with its left entrance region plowing right over top, really textbook for this type of setup.

21z SREF looking more impressive as well.

CvKBck2.gif

N0WWJ32.gif

5Nhz76V.gif

Reminds me a bit of the 10/4/13 setup. 

Reminds me a bit of the 10/4/13 setup. 

I'm not sure it is quite as classic of a setup as that was (mainly due to the more meridional upper jet this time and questions about the overall wind fields/leftover convection), but the threat for supercells perhaps in an arching line tomorrow evening near the surface low does appear to be there.

I'm not sure it is quite as classic of a setup as that was (mainly due to the more meridional upper jet this time and questions about the overall wind fields/leftover convection), but the threat for supercells perhaps in an arching line tomorrow evening near the surface low does appear to be there.

What are your thoughts on the southern portion? Is the SREF too bullish for OK/TX? Early convection seems to be the main issue, is it not?

What are your thoughts on the southern portion? Is the SREF too bullish for OK/TX? Early convection seems to be the main issue, is it not?

The northern target certainly appears to be the one of choice, I could see a few storms of interest down the dryline, but in terms of intensity and tornado potential, the triple point has it for this one.

Early convection is definitely a concern as well for southern areas, likely more so than further north.

OUN has made it clear over the past few months that they don't plan on issuing Tornado Warnings for brief, weak spin ups in most circumstances after the events of last year. Whether or not that's the correct policy is up for debate. Only report I saw was a few power flashes in Moore. 

Almost went out on a solo chase to IA/MN this morning, but decided against it for several reasons.

Threat is fairly conditional now, and will be focused on a much smaller area. The combination of overnight/morning clouds/showers and re-development of storms late this morning and afternoon will likely limit the threat overall.

Instead of likely seeing a good threat and an arc of sups from the SLP down to the IA/MO border, which once looked possible last night...The more likely scenario now is a few cells near the SLP that hold potential for a relatively short time, with the main threat being in a small area in extreme NW. IA and far SW. MN. And I'm not even sold on that at this point...

Archived