• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Just dang.  I think the Kingston tornado must have gone RIGHT over my house last night.  I knew the winds were at least 60 mph.  Husband was standing on the porch telling me that he saw the winds briefly change direction while maintaining that speed and was freaked out by that.  I was glued to Radarscope on my iPhone (I had left my laptop at work so didn't have my GRLevel2 software).  I didn't see any rotation though. We are slightly northeast of Kingston, so from the description it sounds like it was in my backyard.  Neighbors had big tree uprooted and about a quarter mile down the road I saw some trees that looked twisted. I will have to pay more attention on the drive home.

Dang indeed!  Sounds wild.

Light showers yesterday made for a nice rainbow here:

hJm86iT.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were up with some friends at their club in downtown Knoxville last evening on the 27th floor last night and the view all the way around was spectacular with thunderheads in every direction....The glass made all my pictures look bad unfortunately.

The Eastern Valley should get a nice little soaker rain this afternoon by the looks of the radar. Showers and storms are not moving all that fast in the flow.

It was interesting to watch the storm motion evolve yesterday. In the morning and around lunch time the storms came from the south. Then in the afternoon they came from the southwest/west and then around 7-8 pm the storm motion was stationary and then from the north. I was playing in the golf league last night and it rained 2 inches in 30 minutes. Meanwhile back at the house to the southwest it didn't even sprinkle. The storm just sat on itself.

Stovepipe, I think we will have at least small chances of pop up convection next week with some better moisture return after this weekend. It may be more elevation favored though.

I just drove through a 70 dbz rainstorm on the way home. I've never seen rain that hard in my life. The median of I-75 was a rapidly flowing deep river just north of the Ooltewah exit. By the time I got home, it was barely raining. I have a feeling more will be coming later. It is still early in the afternoon. Watch for flooding with these slow moving storms! Hamilton county wasn't under a flood advisory of any sort, but the Ooltewah area was in bad shape. I thought the radar signature was going to mean hail, but it was just torrential rain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1368
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1210 PM CDT MON JUL 14 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN AR...MUCH OF KY/TN...FAR WRN VA...FAR SERN MO

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 141710Z - 141915Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TSTMS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY THIS
   AFTERNOON WITH A THREAT OF DAMAGING WIND. SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
   ISSUANCE IS BEING CONSIDERED.

DISCUSSION...AS OF 17Z...TSTM ACTIVITY IS GRADUALLY INCREASING FROM
   NERN AR INTO PARTS OF KY AND TN...IN THE VICINITY OF A REMNANT
   OUTFLOW BOUNDARY. THE STRONGEST STORMS ARE CURRENTLY NEAR AN LEX-EKQ
   LINE IN KY...WHERE AT LEAST A SHORT-TERM THREAT FOR LOCALLY DAMAGING
   WIND WILL EXIST GIVEN MODERATE INSTABILITY AND EFFECTIVE SHEAR OF
   AROUND 30-40 KTS.

THIS INITIAL ACTIVITY MAY TEND TO WEAKEN AS IT MOVES INTO
   RAIN-COOLED AIR TO THE EAST...BUT ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY IS LIKELY TO
   INTENSIFY UPSTREAM ACROSS NERN AR/WRN KY/WRN TN AS FURTHER
   DESTABILIZATION OCCURS THIS AFTERNOON. SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY AND
   SHEAR WILL SUPPORT ORGANIZED MULTI-CELL STORMS AND SMALL BOWING
   CLUSTERS CAPABLE OF PRIMARILY DAMAGING WIND AS LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES
   STEEPEN AND LARGE-SCALE ASCENT INCREASES AHEAD OF A DEEP UPPER
   TROUGH OVER THE GREAT LAKES. SOME THREAT OF LARGE HAIL WILL ALSO
   EXIST ACROSS NERN AR/SERN MO/WRN TN LATER THIS AFTERNOON...WHERE
   STRONG INSTABILITY WILL FAVOR MORE ROBUST UPDRAFTS.

..DEAN/HART.. 07/14/2014

ATTN...WFO...RLX...GSP...MRX...JKL...LMK...OHX...HUN...PAH...
   MEG...LZK...

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
   SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 419
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   125 PM CDT MON JUL 14 2014

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
     NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ARKANSAS
     MISSOURI BOOTHEEL
     NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI
     WESTERN AND MIDDLE TENNESSEE

* EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 125 PM UNTIL
     800 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
     SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE
     SCATTERED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 60
   STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 60 MILES WEST OF
   RUSSELLVILLE ARKANSAS TO 5 MILES SOUTHEAST OF CROSSVILLE
   TENNESSEE.  FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE
   ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU9).

I would add a flash flooding threat, especially after dark tonight. Upper winds are parallel to the slow moving front, a recipe for heavy rain, esp in summer. At least in a couple days gorgeous regime change will include much lower humidity and temperatures. Cheers!

Picked up a total of 1.6 in of rain yesterday evening and overnight from training thunderstorms that just kept developing and moving over the area. We sure did need it though, it had gotten really dry. I don't know, but I'd say this is probably the most 1 day rain we've had since March, and maybe even all year. Just seems like it's been a hard year to pick up substantial rainfall.

Picked up another heavy shower this afternoon. It dropped another .20 in brining my 2 day total to 1.85in. It is kinda strange how the precip seemed to move around Knox and to some degree Jefferson and Sevier counties, but basically from Union county east to Hamblen and southern Hawkins counties, rainfall was plentiful. I wonder if some sort of boundary was setup in this area causing the repeat development?

Picked up another heavy shower this afternoon. It dropped another .20 in brining my 2 day total to 1.85in. It is kinda strange how the precip seemed to move around Knox and to some degree Jefferson and Sevier counties, but basically from Union county east to Hamblen and southern Hawkins counties, rainfall was plentiful. I wonder if some sort of boundary was setup in this area causing the repeat development?

I wonder too. We were forecasted to get up to 2" and got bubkus.

However a week and a half ago a coupe of thunderstorms did explode over my house giving me 2.5" of rain over two days, so all is not lost.

It feels amazing outside. I can't remember it ever being this pleasant in the middle of July before.

July 2009....we had fropa across the weekend of July 18,19...upper 50s and low 60s in the morning with highs in upper 70s low 80s. 2004 was a little later in the summer...the weekend of Aug 12 I believe....when Charley was making landfall in Ft Myers...that was another remarkable airmass...it happens more than people think but is still not the norm.

What's up, guys? Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the nice weather. You all should get a little cooler than we will on the other side of the hills. You should also do pretty well in the rainfall dept late weekend on. Looks like a pretty good setup with general troughing sandwiched between a ridge out west and another one to the east. Regardless of precip, looks like the big heat is off the table for a bit. Anyway, just wanted to drop by and say hi. Hope you all are having a good summer!

Archived