• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

I'd say birds or bats. Austin TX bats are classic every evening on their radar. Sounds like it is birds here. I've seen it a couple times on HTX too. On a good day you can see it expanding for a couple frames in a radar loop.

BTW that was some serious action in northeast Tennessee yesterday. That rope almost looks like a satellite tornado, with a larger cone trying to form in the background (right side of some frames). Glad everyone is safe!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was indeed serious. We had a couple Tor warned cells in Hamblen Co. but as far as I know, no verified tornados. The big story here was the wind, rain, and lightning. I know lightning isn't what makes a storm severe, but it sure is amazing when it is that intense. On WBIR last night, they were showing where there was close to 17,000 strikes per hour, and it definitely seemed that way. Anyway between the 2 rounds yesterday evening, we ended up with 2.95 in of rain and we'd had a little more than a tenth of an inch of rain early Sunday. Definitely the most rain in one day in several years here.

Was chasing the cell that went through Church Hill on Carter Valley Rd.  It looked outflow dominate to me at the time but there was a good bit of rotation.  Also saw the damage on Highway 81 near exit 56.  All the signs were knocked down and a distinct path through the trees was evident.  I had a tree fall right in front of me as I was turning around in Carter Valley.  Caught another funnel just east of Morristown near White Pine from the cell that produced in Claiborne Co.  Rough terrain to chase, but I knew that going in so all in all it was a good day!

Chase Video:

http://youtu.be/ilzxaI8pBzc

On the cell that may have produced multiple touchdowns in Rock Springs, Gray and possibly Boone's Creek and Watauga communities near Johnson City, it appears from the videos captured near Rock Springs that there was an overall larger funnel at height that may or may not have touched down; however, with multiple smaller or satellite vortices that did touch down from it as it progressed SSE.

The following image shows the wall cloud and funnel as the cell moved through. It's on WCYB's page, but I haven't been able to confirm the exact location:

Weather-and-Nature-Photos-Upload-Form-To

Are there any videos out of Campbell County? I have yet to find anything.

The tornado yesterday in this area has been confirmed as an EF3 with 140 mph winds.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

451 PM EDT MON JUL 28 2014

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 07/27/14 TORNADO EVENT - UPDATE # 1...

.CLAIBORNE AND CAMPBELL COUNTY TORNADO...

RATING:                 EF-3                   

ESTIMATED PEAK WIND:    140-150 MPH

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/:  4.65 MILES    

PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/:   800 YARDS

FATALITIES:             0

INJURIES:               0

START DATE:             07 27 2014     

START TIME:             558 PM EST

START LOCATION:         3 NW SPEEDWELL / CAMPBELL COUNTY / TN

START_LAT/LON:          36.4695 / -83.9766                

END DATE:               07 27 2014    

END TIME:               602 PM EST             

END LOCATION:           1 S SPEEDWELL / CLAIBORNE COUNTY / TN

END_LAT/LON:            36.4368 / -83.9034            

SURVEY_SUMMARY: NUMEROUS TREES UPROOTED AND SNAPPED ALONG THE

ENTIRE PATH. STRUCTURAL DAMAGE VARIED FROM MINOR TO EXTENSIVE

WITH THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE NOTED IN THE SPEEDWELL AREA NEAR

THE END OF THE TRACK. THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WOULD LIKE TO

THANK CAMPBELL COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND CLAIBORNE COUNTY

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT FOR THEIR EFFORTS IN ASSISTING WITH THE

SURVEY.

Are there any videos out of Campbell County? I have yet to find anything.

None have surfaced so far. It's pretty rural where the tornado passed. That's why there were only 10-20 homes damaged and no deaths or injuries on a 4.5 mile path. It looks like it formed just at the bottom of Cumberland Mountain in Campbell Co. Went across a wooded area tearing up trees, de-roofed a house, more trees, a corn field, crossed into Claiborne doing the same. As it got to the end of it's path it was in a slightly more populated area and doing a bit more damage. 

Supposedly birds. I've seen stories about it before in other places. There was a story a week or so ago from Wisconsin/Minnesota about a large Mayfly hatch showing up on radar as well. It looked more like blobs of showers.

The same thing happened in the same place this morning. I think I've found Bruce Wayne's mountain home.

Archived