• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  

TORNADO WARNING  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN  

639 PM EDT SUN JUL 27 2014  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  

CENTRAL JOHNSON COUNTY IN EASTERN TENNESSEE...  

NORTHEASTERN CARTER COUNTY IN EASTERN TENNESSEE...  

NORTHEASTERN SULLIVAN COUNTY IN EASTERN TENNESSEE...  

SOUTHWESTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA...  

THE CITY OF BRISTOL IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA...  

* UNTIL 730 PM EDT  

* AT 639 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM  

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED  

NEAR BRISTOL VA...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 40 MPH.  

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  

BRISTOL TN...BRISTOL VA...ABINGDON...MOUNTAIN CITY...WALNUT HILL...  

DAMASCUS...SADIE...LAUREL BLOOMERY...BENHAMS...SHADY VALLEY...SOUTH  

HOLSTON DAM...HILANDER PARK...HARR AND DOEVILLE.  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST  

FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME OR  

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT  

YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.  

Carvers that is a picture I'm glad I didn't get to take. I didn't have anywhere at the house to take my new car so I went down to the local garage and parked underneath a little metal shed and rode it out. Probably pretty stupid but that was the only option I had. I was just hoping no lightning would hit it as I was a sitting duck. But no hail damage. We just had quarter size hail and barely missed the bigger golfball-baseball sized hail. Thank goodness. A lot of people have broken windshields.

I would have hate to see the storms if we would of had several hours of sunshine today.

Carvers that is a picture I'm glad I didn't get to take. I didn't have anywhere at the house to take my new car so I went down to the local garage and parked underneath a little metal shed and rode it out. Probably pretty stupid but that was the only option I had. I was just hoping no lightning would hit it as I was a sitting duck. But no hail damage. We just had quarter size hail and barely missed the bigger golfball-baseball sized hail. Thank goodness. A lot of people have broken windshields.

I would have hate to see the storms if we would of had several hours of sunshine today.

Yeah, man. It dodged south right when it got to Gate City. I think based on the lightning and hail we probably were under a funnel cloud. Same cell produced tornadoes to our northwest and southeast.

Power has been out in the Church Hill area since 5:40pm. Nothing much in the way of hail but plenty of tree limbs down. Saw rotation but no funnel cloud. When that cell was approaching from SE KY I was standing on my porch & the distant thunder was like the roar of the ocean. It was a constant distant sound with a few louder rumblings now and then. I have never heard anything like that before. Ominous.

Friend in the Colonial Heights area said it was the largest hail he'd ever seen. Sorry about your car damage Carvers!

Y'all stay safe tonight! Can hear thunder to the west...

Saw that cell go through. How are you all doing?

Shelter in Lafollette set up, reports of some people trapped in houses earlier. 

Is that near Highway 63? There's a report on SPC of 10 homes destroyed in Claiborne County along the highway.

Yes, that's the hwy 63 area on the eastern side of the county. Had large hail and strong winds here but it really went right over them. Had unconfirmed reports of eye witness sightings of the funnel itself moving along 63. The damage is commiserate with a tornado. People in the area said they could see debris thousands of feet in the air. My uncle lives right beside 63 about 1/2 mile inside the Claiborne county line. His power is out and he said there was tree damage all over but the tornado itself missed him by a bit.

Power has been out in the Church Hill area since 5:40pm. Nothing much in the way of hail but plenty of tree limbs down. Saw rotation but no funnel cloud. When that cell was approaching from SE KY I was standing on my porch & the distant thunder was like the roar of the ocean. It was a constant distant sound with a few louder rumblings now and then. I have never heard anything like that before. Ominous.

Friend in the Colonial Heights area said it was the largest hail he'd ever seen. Sorry about your car damage Carvers!

Y'all stay safe tonight! Can hear thunder to the west...

WCYB reported a tornado sighted in Carter's Valley and specifically mentioned Church Hill.

Btw, that thing in Campbell/Claiborne counties was definitely a tornado and likely a significant one. There was a large TDS on it (to 10,000+ ft) and a very tight couplet for several scans (possibly a debris ball as well).

andyhb, thanks for the update. I am not a severe WX expert but it certainly looked bad on the radar. WCYB has some footage of a smaller funnel cloud in E TN. It's not like we live in the tornado belt, so a tornado of any size in the foothills is unusual.

WCYB reported a tornado sighted in Carter's Valley and specifically mentioned Church Hill.

Not surprised. We had a tornado warning at the time and I definitively saw rotation. Still better off than those folks like you who had the huge hailstorm! Power being off is an inconvenience only. I can hear the chainsaws so I know they're doing their best to get it back on. Those guys don't get enough credit!

Not surprised. We had a tornado warning at the time and I definitively saw rotation. Still better off than those folks like you who had the huge hailstorm! Power being off is an inconvenience only. I can hear the chainsaws so I know they're doing their best to get it back on. Those guys don't get enough credit!

Feel almost certain we were hit by the same cell. I live right at the foot of Bays Mtn. Think it disrupted the funnel just enough....I saw the cell coming. Sent everyone to the basement and watched for any funnel. Problem was the hail was so big and the lightning intense, I could not get a good look upward.

Feel almost certain we were hit by the same cell. I live right at the foot of Bays Mtn. Think it disrupted the funnel just enough....I saw the cell coming. Sent everyone to the basement and watched for any funnel. Problem was the hail was so big and the lightning intense, I could not get a good look upward.

Agreed. Radar on my phone showed it to be the same cell. Once I saw the rotation in the cell we went into bunker mode as well. We were just lucky in escaping the hail!

Crazy. We never get tornadoes here. And you and I managed to get hit by the same cell.

Definitely not our standard late July weather, is it?  ;)  Power came back on about 15 minutes ago. At one time there were 1558 customers in the area suffering power outages. Can't say enough good about the Holston Electric crews. Will wait and see how bad the local damage is in the morning. I'm sure my work tomorrow will take me through the Rock Springs area outside of Kingsport. Have heard there's at least one roof missing and much other damage. I feel sorry for those folks and for all of y'all that suffered damage tonight.  Also heard that the Starbuck's in Kingsport has some damage, though I don't know how reliable that report is. My office is just across the hill from it though, so I'll get a look at it tomorrow. 

Thundering again, so I believe I'll shut this thing down and see if we can make it through the night without any more difficulty. Stay safe, everyone!

Something strange appeared on HTX radar this morning over Winchester near Arnold AFB. I suspect they must have tested some sort of radar foiling. It looked like a small donut shaped reflectivity explosion that expanded outwards from Winchester. Not sure what it was.

Something strange appeared on HTX radar this morning over Winchester near Arnold AFB. I suspect they must have tested some sort of radar foiling. It looked like a small donut shaped reflectivity explosion that expanded outwards from Winchester. Not sure what it was.

Supposedly birds. I've seen stories about it before in other places. There was a story a week or so ago from Wisconsin/Minnesota about a large Mayfly hatch showing up on radar as well.  It looked more like blobs of showers.

Archived