Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tornado Outbreak Aftermath: April 26th-30th, 2014

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

000NOUS44 KLZK 290123PNSLZKARZ003>007-012>016-021>025-030>034-037>047-052>057-062>069-291800-PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LITTLE ROCK AR823 PM CDT MON APR 28 2014...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 04/27/2014 TORNADO EVENT......PRELIMINARY INFORMATION....TORNADO #1...PARON/MAYFLOWER/VILONIA TORNADO...DAMAGE SURVEYS ARE STILL IN PROGRESS. HOWEVER...THE TORNADOHAS BEEN RATED AT LEAST AN EF-3.THE TORNADO STARTED JUST INSIDE THE PULASKI COUNTY LINE...4 MILES NORTH OF LAKE NORRELL. THERE IS AN APPARENT CONTINUOUSDAMAGE PATH FOR AT LEAST 29.2 MILES...NEARLY TO VILONIA...WHERETHE SURVEY WILL RESUME ON TUESDAY APRIL 29TH.ADDITIONAL DETAILS WILL BE RELEASED ONCE SURVEYS HAVE BEENCOMPLETED.EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFES TORNADOES INTOTHE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES.EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPHEF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPHEF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPHEF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPHEF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200MPHEF5...VIOLENT...>200MPHNOTE:THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TOCHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN NWSSTORM DATA.$$57

NOUS44 KSHV 290120

PNSSHV

ARZ050-051-059>061-070>073-LAZ001>006-010>014-017>022-OKZ077-

TXZ096-097-108>112-124>126-136>138-149>153-165>167-291330-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SHREVEPORT LA

820 PM CDT MON APR 28 2014

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY COMPLETED FOR CADDO AND BOSSIER PARISH IN

NORTHWEST LOUISIANA FOR TORNADO DURING MORNING OF APRIL 28TH...

RATING: EF-2

ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 115 MPH

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 5 MILES

PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 550 YARDS

FATALITIES: 0

INJURIES: 0

START DATE: APR 28 2014

START TIME: 3:09 AM CDT

START LOCATION: HOSSTON LA

START LAT/LON: 32.8866 / -93.8750

END DATE: APR 28 2014

END TIME: 3:15 AM CDT

END LOCATION: 5 MILES WEST OF PLAIN DEALING LA

END_LAT/LON: 32.9121 / -93.7933

EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES

TORNADOES INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES.

EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPH

EF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPH

EF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPH

EF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPH

EF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200 MPH

EF5...VIOLENT...>200 MPH

NOTE:

THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

$

WCM

Flyover of the AR tornado path in case you haven't seen it. Severity of the damage in and around Vilonia is just incredible. Strongly reminds me of some of the 4/27 flyovers in AL/MS.

http://thecabin.net/latest-news/2014-04-28/video-aerial-footage-mayflower-violnia-tornado#.U19TY_ldU_Z

The ground scouring and shredding/debarking of low vegetation is almost Smithville-esque. Around 1:20, note the evidence of a strong suction vortice, and at 1:31 you can also see intense wind rowing. 1:44 and 2:42 show clear high-end EF4 or EF5 damage if the slabbed homes were anchored well. The homes appear to have been brick, so they may well have been anchored well. If the tornado is indeed EF5, it will be the only one on record in AR since 1950, and only the second since the Sneed F5 of April 1929. Interestingly, at 2:23, in the lower right-hand corner, some pavement *may* have been scoured from a parking lot (dark splotches).

The ground scouring and shredding/debarking of low vegetation is almost Smithville-esque. Around 1:20, note the evidence of a strong suction vortice, and at 1:31 you can also see intense wind rowing. 1:44 and 2:42 show clear high-end EF4 or EF5 damage if the slabbed homes were anchored well. The homes appear to have been brick, so they may well have been anchored well. If the tornado is indeed EF5, it will be the only one on record in AR since 1950, and only the second since the Sneed F5 of April 1929. Interestingly, at 2:23, in the lower right-hand corner, some pavement *may* have been scoured from a parking lot (dark splotches).

You know, I didn't want to say it but Smithville is the first thing that popped into my head when I watched that video. LZKs survey teams did not reach the areas pictured in the video yesterday, so I am very curious to see what they find.

I found something potentially impressive in one of the pictures from Vilonia. Note the large empty slab near the upper-right hand corner. I thought that maybe there was some large shed or storage structure there, but upon checking google maps, it shows that there was a large, two story brick structure there instead. Also, i'm pretty sure we are looking at modern brick veneer homes. The brick is purely cosmetic, as the homes are still built with a wooden frame. True brick frame homes are hardly ever built anymore.

flx5.png

syQ5J57.png

You know, I didn't want to say it but Smithville is the first thing that popped into my head when I watched that video. LZKs survey teams did not reach the areas pictured in the video yesterday, so I am very curious to see what they find.

I found something potentially impressive in one of the pictures from Vilonia. Note the large empty slab near the upper-right hand corner. I thought that maybe there was some large shed or storage structure there, but upon checking google maps, it shows that there was a large, two story brick structure there instead. Also, i'm pretty sure we are looking at modern brick veneer homes. The brick is purely cosmetic, as the homes are still built with a wooden frame. True brick frame homes are hardly ever built anymore.

flx5.png

syQ5J57.png

Good point about the brick veneer homes. I never really thought about that with homes appearing brick but it only being cosmetic. 

Richland, MS, tornado is also now at least an EF3. Mayflower-Vilonia is a certain EF4, perhaps EF5. And what about the Rodentown, AL, and Smithland, TN, tornadoes? We could have three EF4/EF5 tornadoes on our hands.

I'm unaware of any major damage in Rodentown, but that cell produced major damage in Aroney. No pics from that area yet.

Just to reiterate, this 00z 4/28/14 sounding from LZK will likely be passed along as one of the more noteworthy violent tornado soundings along with such examples as the 00z 4/28/11 BMX sounding and the Purcell, OK sounding from 5/3/99. Note how the upper level winds were actually fairly weak, but everything below that is pretty phenomenal.

LZK.gif

Just to reiterate, this 00z 4/28/14 sounding from LZK will likely be past along as one of the more noteworthy violent tornado soundings along with such examples as the 00z 4/28/11 BMX sounding and the Purcell, OK sounding from 5/3/99. Note how the upper level winds were actually fairly weak, but everything below that is pretty phenomenal.

LZK.gif

Just insanely backed winds along that boundary. We all knew that was gonna be trouble, but damn.

This didn't get a whole lot of play at the time (understandably) but 46 mile long tornado track in Iowa is pretty impressive.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL  413 PM CDT TUE APR 29 2014     ..NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 04/27/14 TORNADO EVENT - UPDATE #1       OVERVIEW  UPDATED TRACK INFORMATION FOR NEAR CONTINUOUS LONG   TRACK TORNADO IN WAPELLO...KEOKUK...IOWA AND JOHNSON COUNTIES.      WAPELLO...KEOKUK...IOWA...AND JOHNSON COUNTY TORNADO    RATING:                 EF-1  ESTIMATED PEAK WIND:    110 MPH  PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/:  46 MILES  PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/:   1600 YARDS  FATALITIES:             2  INJURIES:               0    START DATE:             APRIL 27...2014   START TIME:             3:20 PM CDT  START LOCATION:         3.45 MILES EAST OF HIGHLAND CENTER  START LAT/LON:          41.1203 / -92.3064    END DATE:               APRIL 27...2014  END TIME:               4:06 PM CDT  END LOCATION:           4.2 MILES SOUTH OF OXFORD  END LAT/LON:            41.6601 / -91.7825    SURVEY SUMMARY: NWS STORM SURVEY TEAMS FROM BOTH DAVENPORT AND  DES MOINES DETERMINED THAT A TORNADO DEVELOPED IN FAR NORTHERN  WAPELLO COUNTY...CROSSED KEOKUK COUNTY AND SOUTHEASTERN IOWA   COUNTY...AND ENDED IN RURAL JOHNSON COUNTY. THIS LONG TRACK TORNADO  STARTED EAST OF HIGHLAND CENTER AND TRAVELED AT ABOUT 60 MPH TO THE   NORTHEAST. THE CIRCULATION WAS INITIALLY VERY BROAD AND BEGAN TO  TIGHTEN AS IT PROGRESSED TO THE NORTHEAST. ALONG THE PATH...A NEAR  CONTINUOUS DAMAGE PATH WAS FOUND WITH DAMAGE PRIMARILY TO   OUTBUILDINGS...TREES...AND POWER POLES. IN MARTINSBURG...A MOBILE   HOME WAS PUSHED OFF ITS BASE.  TWO FATALITIES OCCURRED...ONE WEST  OF MARTINSBURG AND ONE NORTH OF KINROSS. BOTH FATALITIES WERE  ASSOCIATED WITH OUTBUILDINGS THAT WERE DESTROYED.  

Slabbed homes are normally misleading on intensity. While it certainly CAN be indicative of a violent tornado EF2s have slabbed homes before. The one pic above that does grab my attention is the one showing what appears to be ground scouring, I could be wrong, but from every event I have seen, that usually is high end EF4 phenomena. 

Archived