Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 26th-30th, 2014 Major Tornado Outbreak

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CIPS analog guidance is still going nuts for Sunday.  What does that tell me?  When you get rid of the convective feedback problems, Sunday could still be a big deal.

Assuming Sunday does end up with a better setup, I'm still thinking it's going to be a multicell or line setup rather than a discrete supercell type event.

The CIPS analog guidance is still going nuts for Sunday.  What does that tell me?  When you get rid of the convective feedback problems, Sunday could still be a big deal.

If the latest Euro is correct in significantly slowing down the system (a big if), the location of biggest impacts Sunday would align with many of those analog dates as well. 

It could be something as simple as the convective parameterization of the GFS spawning spuriously strong convection on Saturday that begins a chain of feedback errors through Sunday and onward.

Well if the system does indeed slow down as the Euro is showing, I have a hard time believing there's going to be "that" kind of convection on Saturday night due to strong capping. Just my 2 cents. 

Well Saturday is back to looking really intense this run, for one.

Oh yeah. Still a bit early for these details, but from the runs I've seen (having looked periodically), the 3 km EHIs are about as high as I've seen for Saturday, with pockets of >10 northeast of Woodward by 00Z Sunday. 

The run-to-run stabilities of both the GFS and Euro are pretty bad right now. Saturday going bonkers again on 18Z GFS lol.

Considering how much that lead system which develops into the NE ULL modulates the pattern, that doesn't surprise me.

Is the lack of convective feedback in this run a sign that this solution might be better or do we just need to wait for more run to run consistency?

I think it's hard to say, though certainly convective feedback has the potential to wreak havoc on downstream forecasts, so the lack of any in this run is encouraging. I think Tony's point about the CIPS analogs maintaining severity despite the convective feedback is a very good one. 

I think it's hard to say, though certainly convective feedback has the potential to wreak havoc on downstream forecasts, so the lack of any in this run is encouraging. I think Tony's point about the CIPS analogs maintaining severity despite the convective feedback is a very good one. 

Yeah, I would agree with Tony's point. Notice too, with the lack of convective feedback all 3 days look more impressive. Monday especially across MS looks very ugly.

I don't know... am I the only one who thinks Sunday doesn't look that much different? The low is still pretty closed off, lots of convection in the warm sector and dryline still blasts east.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Saturday, Monday and even potentially Tuesday this run have a ton of potential.

I don't really see any differences in the 500 mb vertical velocity field (a flag for erroneous convective feedback) between the 12z and 18z GFS runs, at least prior to 18z Saturday.

18z:

post-869-0-04333300-1398293316_thumb.png

12z:

post-869-0-47160600-1398293326_thumb.png

The surface temperatures and dew points are higher in the 12z run, triggering a large convective complex and an associated 500 mb vertical velocity max. You could make the case that this feature has a non-physical impact on the subsequent forecast. However, a real convective feature that does develop in this environment would also force an atmospheric response diabiatically. Whether the magnitude of that response would be comparable to what the convective parametrization produces is of course difficult to estimate.

Archived