Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 26th-30th, 2014 Major Tornado Outbreak

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just weird decisions all around by the SPC. I can maybe understand scaling back the moderate risk area for some parts of MO, but parts of central Arkansas at LEAST need to be under a high risk. This of course isn't to mention the lack of moderate risk from D3. It's like they are scared of busting.

There is still a substantial amount of cloud cover over central AR, with some elevated convection still ongoing. CAPE in the northern portion of AR is much lower than forecasted model soundings from yesterday. If anything, I think the threat for the best action has shifted further south across E TX, southern AR and northern LA. 

Arkansas.vis.gif

sbcp.gif?1398627216284

There is still a substantial amount of cloud cover over central AR, with some elevated convection still ongoing. CAPE in the northern portion of AR is much lower than forecasted model soundings from yesterday

Arkansas.vis.gif

sbcp.gif?1398627216284

What we have now makes more more nervous than what was modeled.  That differential heating boundary is going to keep low-level shear extremely high.

What we have now makes more more nervous than what was modeled.  That differential heating boundary is going to keep low-level shear extremely high.

I certainly agree the threat for a significant outbreak remains over S AR, E TX, E OK, and N LA along, south and west of the density gradient. However, further into AR the atmosphere is shot and the warm front is not moving as quickly northward as forecasted. 

There is still a substantial amount of cloud cover over central AR, with some elevated convection still ongoing. CAPE in the northern portion of AR is much lower than forecasted model soundings from yesterday. If anything, I think the threat for the best action has shifted further south across E TX, southern AR and northern LA. 

Sure right now that's the case, but as we move later into this evening, this should not be a significant factor.  As mentioned, that differential heating boundary that's set up is a great cause for concern going into this evening among the many other favorable parameters.  While northern Arkansas and Missouri are certainly out, central, eastern, and southern/southwestern Arkansas are very much in the line of fire.

We know.

And for the second part...no...just no. Why do you think high risks are issued in the High Plains then?

well seeing as to how thats nearly verbatim what Greg Carbin said on TWC about 30min ago i'd say yes. And also a few people complaining earlier about no high risk were just talking about the volatile environment with very little mention of the collection of the blatant uncertainties associated with parts of the threat area.

EDIT: well at the very least it has to be high-impact... More or less meaning over a populated area.

well seeing as to how thats nearly verbatin what Greg Carbin said on TWC about 30min ago i'd say yes. And also a few people complaining earlier about no high risk were just talking about the volatile environment with very little mention of the collection of the blatant uncertainties associated with parts of the threat area.

Dude, just stop. This has already been covered by other people.

well seeing as to how thats nearly verbatin what Greg Carbin said on TWC about 30min ago i'd say yes. And also a few people complaining earlier about no high risk were just talking about the volatile environment with very little mention of the collection of the blatant uncertainties associated with parts of the threat area.

Again, we don't need to be lectured by you, thanks. If you have something to add, do so, if not, don't post. And btw, I heard exactly what Carbin said, he brought up this isn't an outbreak day in his opinion because of cloud cover. That normal outbreak days are clear and sunny. That's all he said. I guess every outbreak in the past had full sun all day? And there's people questioning it on NWS Chat also. So people here are not the only ones.

Like others have mentioned that stalled differential heating boundary across AR is something to really watch for the rest of the evening, there will be a significant backing of the winds along it and the low level shear is going to skyrocket along it as well. The real danger with it currently is that is parked very close to Little Rock right now.

Sure right now that's the case, but as we move later into this evening, this should not be a significant factor.  As mentioned, that differential heating boundary that's set up is a great cause for concern going into this evening among the many other favorable parameters.  While northern Arkansas and Missouri are certainly out, central, eastern, and southern/southwestern Arkansas are very much in the line of fire.

Yes, which is why I think the moderate risk will be shifted further south on the 20z update... 

Like others have mentioned that stalled differential heating boundary across AR is something to really watch for the rest of the evening, there will be a significant backing of the winds along it and the low level shear is going to skyrocket along it as well. The real danger with it currently is that is parked very close to Little Rock right now.

This is what scares me the most about this evening, but there is a decent chance it can move towards the S/SW before things really get going.

Archived