Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 26th-30th, 2014 Major Tornado Outbreak

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh. Interesting. I wonder how it is calculated. Anvil-level winds with some other parameters?

I would think "experimental" is the key word here... :lol:

I'd assume it'd take in anvil level, storm motion, updraft helicity, pwats...etc 

It's actually been fairly decent so far this year. Just thought it would be interesting to post

*cough* Okpowdah *cough* 

Last post from me on the latest model data and such (don't want to clog thread), but the 12z NAM-based CIPS really target central OK tomorrow night. That lines up with the GFS thinking and also the 4km NAM reflectivity product, which completely blows up convection bigtime between about 00z and 03z Sunday.

Here are the top severe tornado probs for ***Saturday night:

PPF24tornprobtopnam212F036.png

The window for Sunday/Sunday night still looks very impressive, but the analog placement of reports appears too far west. (Assuming we don't initiate in the morning hours)

I don't know if it has been discussed with the mods but considering this is a multi day and multi regional event. I think it might be a good idea to take this thread and put it in the main forum, we can use this thread as a collection for the entire event so we don't have to go to multiple subforums especially for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

It was brought up.  We may go main forum but we're still 2-3 days away from the higher end/multi subforum threat.

This appears to be just the 10th day 3 moderate risk issued, using the current 45% threshold.

Previous day 3 moderates by issued for dates:

4/24/2007

6/6/2007, 6/7/2007

4/10/2008

5/13/2009

4/10/2011

4/27/2011

4/14/2012

4/17/2013

Based off of info from http://www.pmarshwx.com/blog/2012/04/12/spc-day-3-moderates-in-context-what-do-they-become/

Also the one for 10/18/2007

New D2 is out..

SCENARIO WILL SUPPORT
RELATIVELY HIGH-BASED SUPERCELLS WITH LARGE HAIL /SOME VERY LARGE/
AS THE PRIMARY SCENARIO. AS THESE STORMS SHIFT EASTWARD...LOCALLY
DAMAGING WINDS AND/OR SOME INCREASE IN TORNADO RISK MAY OCCUR
TOWARD/JUST AFTER SUNSET PENDING A PERSISTENT SUPERCELL MODE AS
MOISTURE/LOW-LEVEL SRH EACH NOCTURNALLY INCREASE.
ALTHOUGH...WARM
SECTOR INHIBITION SHOULD NONETHELESS TEND TO INCREASE BY LATE
EVENING IN MOST AREAS WITH UNCERTAINTIES RELATED TO SURFACE-BASED
STORM/TORNADO LIKELIHOOD DEEPER INTO THE EVENING/OVERNIGHT HOURS

It was brought up.  We may go main forum but we're still 2-3 days away from the higher end/multi subforum threat.

It makes more sense to move it now and have it be a collect all from start to finish, no point in moving it mid event. We did the same for the 4/27/11 event I believe and it worked fine.

It makes more sense to move it now and have it be a collect all from start to finish, no point in moving it mid event. We did the same for the 4/27/11 event I believe and it worked fine.

It's never a "collect all"...Many times there still ends up being dedicated threads within the sub-forums.

Last post from me on the latest model data and such (don't want to clog thread), but the 12z NAM-based CIPS really target central OK tomorrow night. That lines up with the GFS thinking and also the 4km NAM reflectivity product, which completely blows up convection bigtime between about 00z and 03z Sunday.

Here are the top severe tornado probs for ***Saturday night:

The window for Sunday/Sunday night still looks very impressive, but the analog placement of reports appears too far west. (Assuming we don't initiate in the morning hours)

I noticed that too.  Why is the analog showing reports that far west for Sunday?  Are there signals that the DL may slow down?

This might sound crazy to y'all but I'm hoping the DL stalls just west of the DFW Metroplex, that way storms dump rain over us but hopefully don't mature until they get over less populated areas. We really need the rain and a wise person on another weather forum thinks the Northwest flow will return, which, would keep is dry for the next 8-14 days.

I noticed that too. Why is the analog showing reports that far west for Sunday? Are there signals that the DL may slow down?

I have noticed that as well and going through some similar scenarios dipicting where the low will be and trough position the dryline never made it past I-35 in most cases still from north Texas up through about OKC. I still think it won't make it past I-35, but certainly no weather expert and I know very little about drylines being from up north. I have read studies saying models have difficulty with dryline positions, so there is a sliver of hope to me they are incorrect.

I would think that if we get some storms or shower activity in the morning, that the more moisture present would make it harder to push the dryline through as quick as being shown or if models underestimate dewpoints.

Is this sunday time frame looking very tornadic for swmo area especially for myself and JoMo ????what are the thoughts here ..

I've been looking into that. I hope it's just a wind/hail threat. I think the best tornado probs will be across SE OK and W AR because the winds will be becoming more SW oriented with time up this way. Still probably can't rule out tornadoes up this way though.

Archived