Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor forecast thread

famartin

JB post this AM on why the GFS will correct back south by tomorrow AM

"When I laid this storm out earlier in the week, when models were well south, the call was for a low to get to southern Ohio, then reform on the coast and head out s of New England. GIven that the corridor of heaviest snow is now closer to I-80 than I-70, there has been a north adjustment, not so much in the position of the low over Se Ohio, but further east. But should that continue. I dont think so, it may continue on the models till tomorrow then come back south again. Why?

"The negative NAO right now the track will be influenced. The GFS, perhaps correctly, simply bully the storm through the mountains . This looks wrong. First of all cold dry air is drilling south off the east coast. This air will be pulled back in as the storm comes in, and though it would have warmed on its journey south, it cools coming back if moistened. 2cnd. Where ever the precip breaks out, the cold air will fight, even if the fresh cold to the north has not arrived. This is a cold air mass, its still cold advecting, Hard to believe within 48 hours and after so much precip, its routed. 3rd. The front from the north. This is going to keep pressing east of the mountains and as it does it will be drawn in. The fact is that a storm pulls air from every where, including in front of it, toward it. If you think about how that works, the wind blowing from higher pressure to lower pressure in the low levels, when the rate of Warm advection is greater than rate of warming in the low levels, is what leads to upward motion. Have a reason for the low levels to fight, there is greater overrunning which in turn changes the pressure field. Moral: Watch where it starts as snow.. chances are any place more than 100 miles north of that stays snow ( with some sleet at the height of the storm)

The ECMWF ensemble shows what I am talking about, as it has the "damming" look for the low, with the warm front being the boundary the low goes too"

"When I laid this storm out earlier in the week, when models were well south, the call was for a low to get to southern Ohio, then reform on the coast and head out s of New England. GIven that the corridor of heaviest snow is now closer to I-80 than I-70, there has been a north adjustment, not so much in the position of the low over Se Ohio, but further east. But should that continue. I dont think so, it may continue on the models till tomorrow then come back south again. Why?

"The negative NAO right now the track will be influenced. The GFS, perhaps correctly, simply bully the storm through the mountains . This looks wrong. First of all cold dry air is drilling south off the east coast. This air will be pulled back in as the storm comes in, and though it would have warmed on its journey south, it cools coming back if moistened. 2cnd. Where ever the precip breaks out, the cold air will fight, even if the fresh cold to the north has not arrived. This is a cold air mass, its still cold advecting, Hard to believe within 48 hours and after so much precip, its routed. 3rd. The front from the north. This is going to keep pressing east of the mountains and as it does it will be drawn in. The fact is that a storm pulls air from every where, including in front of it, toward it. If you think about how that works, the wind blowing from higher pressure to lower pressure in the low levels, when the rate of Warm advection is greater than rate of warming in the low levels, is what leads to upward motion. Have a reason for the low levels to fight, there is greater overrunning which in turn changes the pressure field. Moral: Watch where it starts as snow.. chances are any place more than 100 miles north of that stays snow ( with some sleet at the height of the storm)

The ECMWF ensemble shows what I am talking about, as it has the "damming" look for the low, with the warm front being the boundary the low goes too"

Not that It can't be right, I knew he would say that before I logged on.   We haven;t seem many reversals once it goes north, especially in this short a time frame.

More from JB on why the EURO is right

"Forgot this: A positively tilted trough has the deepening for the surface low rely more on warm advection( run to where the warmth is) The old rule is negative tilt, deepen from top down until the surface can get going and feed back. Neutral tilt about 50/50, positive the deepening is more from warn advection and as the system deepens the upper feature gets pulled tighter toward it. Dr John Cahir, used to call these positvely tilted front runners with most of the precip in front of them. In any case the new nam does not have the look of a storm that bowls through the mountains, but extends east It is highly unlikely the reform will be this far north. The reason: The isobars in front of the storm at 42 hours, seen here are pointed AWAY from the low center, rather than toward it. So the warm air is having an easy time heading northeast, but not north. The all is for this to redevelop near the mouth of the Delaware, not off Toms River. Once again though its a 50 mile edge forecast for the biggest market in the nation. Given the parallels I see to the position of the storm and the 500 mb forecast, which is very similar to 1967 once to NYC, ( that was a positively tilted trough that went ti neutral, and again I realize the storms evolved different, but the marriage of the analog is like a guy and a girl that came from different towns but wound up together.. arent I romantic?) I will hold with the 6-10 locally 15 ( forecast within 25 miles of CP) I can see the 2 or 3 and rain, certainly, but I can see the 15 too. In any case I did not mention this earlier. That waa term is just as important as upper divergence and once that southwest wind is howling out over the water east of the MA coast it will try to draw the redevelopment toward it, and it will very hard with the low having to reform with all the other factors going on, for it to bowl through the mountains and have the needed south to southeast wind in the warm sector to push that front north"

Steve D updated at 145pm with some slight revisions to what he now calls his Final forecast - although he knows there is some room for error if he is wrong with a track thru SJ

Zone from Glasgow E - PHL - West Deptford NJ to Mt Holly (1" to 3" of snow to rain and back to snow with .10 to .25 of ice)

Zone from Southern Lancaster County to Coatesville to Willow Grove to Trenton (3" to 6" of snow to ZR and back to snow with 0.10 to 0.30 of ice)

Zone from LNS to East Nantmeal Twp to Doylestown (6" to 12" of snow and snow mixed with sleet back to all snow before ending ice a trace to .05")

Zone from Harrisburg to Reading to ABE (6" to 12"+ with potential for more with banding)

Nice write up from JB this evening....

January 31 06:35 PM

"I dont now where Paul Stokols is now. He was (is) a giant to me, the first person to teach me about the negative EPO back in the 1970s. He was part of the gifts from the good lord that arrived at PSU, a whole slew of Meteo grad students, that took me under their wing and showed me alot of what I use today. I name rules after who taught them to me. I have no idea if these rules are named after anyone else. I was taught to always credit the person that taught me and I do.

A word about Paul. He became part of the mid range forecast center back in the 1980s, that included Joe Shipps and Dave Weinstein. He then went to the Fire Center and became the Chief. But the rule in DC was a 55 heights THK 540 and heights falling when snow started, it stayed snow.

The reason is fairly intuitive. If the heights are still rising it is a sign that the ridge is still building and the war advection that is causing the snow in the first place is going to win. If they fall, then the rate of cooling aloft is enough to sustain the snow. Its like the BGM rule and Central Park On a northwest wind the temp in the park is 13 higher than BGM is 5 hours later. As with all rules there are exception.

Now Paul like me was a snow geek. So I am sure the rules developed for DC dont have to apply else where. But chances are if it starts snowing and the height fall, it will stay snow

So lets "play: with my back yard State college. It starts snowing around noon tomorrow, and the heights hold steady then fall. Should stay almost all snow. If it sleets or freezing rains for a while, it will be because we had a heck of alot of precip

The there is my dads rule, though he may have heard it from Norm Macdonald on WBZ I remember as a kid lamenting the hours when it was cold in ACY and it was not snowing but it was snowing west of us. It would come in as a few flakes but have warmed up so it rained. " It snows where it wants to snow" I heard that first in 1966 when the week before the blizzard of 66, we had a snowstorm forecasted and it rained. My great friend Bernie Rayno tweeted today that he heard that from the great Norm MacDonald of WBZ weather fame when he worked at the place I used to work at. If so, then perhaps that rule from Dad was something he saw on WBZ, I know I used to say it around work all the time, but if Norm said it first ten its his rule. How does it apply here? Watch the snow tomorrow. Where that streak goes, is going to have a heck of a storm and chances are the changeover line wont move north more than 100 miles

So why am I so different. Well think about this. What does the model have the best chance of hitting? What is right in front of it, right? Well it is headed toward a warm air festival, the downsloping west of the Appalachians. So it should pull up into SE Ohio and to SW pa. But its ONLY after it actually sees what is or isnt waiting for it in an east of the mountains, that it is likely to figure out where to go after. This is still 24 hours away, IMO in really having a handle on it. Am I right, well we will have to see. I have my oltdimers rule, and they dont involve slitting my throat over a NAM or GFS run. That being said I fully understand I may be wrong.

What I am not wrong about though is the pattern producing this. Enjoy it It is highly unlikely after this winter, in your lifetime you will see a SNOW DEPTH forecast like this, close to 40" ne of Pit and Se Mass. So I am not going to get all bent out of shape and grieve over backyard debacles including my own back yard. If I miss by 50 miles but explained the why before the what a week before, I just cant get upset about it anymore. Yell at the local forecasters that 5 days before had a chance of snow showers in the forecast. But here is what I can say. This target period, the 10 day Feb 1-5, the other 10 day call for the storm we went through in the east, the period Jan 26-Feb 10 which was made around Jan 15 to counter the wave of despair, just like we saw in mid Jan 2010, that winter was over ( Again the SOI crashed and look what the cattle prod did) were all part of a bigger message. WINTER HAS JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT"

"I dont now where Paul Stokols is now. He was (is) a giant to me, the first person to teach me about the negative EPO back in the 1970s. He was part of the gifts from the good lord that arrived at PSU, a whole slew of Meteo grad students, that took me under their wing and showed me alot of what I use today. I name rules after who taught them to me. I have no idea if these rules are named after anyone else. I was taught to always credit the person that taught me and I do.

A word about Paul. He became part of the mid range forecast center back in the 1980s, that included Joe Shipps and Dave Weinstein. He then went to the Fire Center and became the Chief. But the rule in DC was a 55 heights THK 540 and heights falling when snow started, it stayed snow.

The reason is fairly intuitive. If the heights are still rising it is a sign that the ridge is still building and the war advection that is causing the snow in the first place is going to win. If they fall, then the rate of cooling aloft is enough to sustain the snow. Its like the BGM rule and Central Park On a northwest wind the temp in the park is 13 higher than BGM is 5 hours later. As with all rules there are exception.

Now Paul like me was a snow geek. So I am sure the rules developed for DC dont have to apply else where. But chances are if it starts snowing and the height fall, it will stay snow

So lets "play: with my back yard State college. It starts snowing around noon tomorrow, and the heights hold steady then fall. Should stay almost all snow. If it sleets or freezing rains for a while, it will be because we had a heck of alot of precip

The there is my dads rule, though he may have heard it from Norm Macdonald on WBZ I remember as a kid lamenting the hours when it was cold in ACY and it was not snowing but it was snowing west of us. It would come in as a few flakes but have warmed up so it rained. " It snows where it wants to snow" I heard that first in 1966 when the week before the blizzard of 66, we had a snowstorm forecasted and it rained. My great friend Bernie Rayno tweeted today that he heard that from the great Norm MacDonald of WBZ weather fame when he worked at the place I used to work at. If so, then perhaps that rule from Dad was something he saw on WBZ, I know I used to say it around work all the time, but if Norm said it first ten its his rule. How does it apply here? Watch the snow tomorrow. Where that streak goes, is going to have a heck of a storm and chances are the changeover line wont move north more than 100 miles

So why am I so different. Well think about this. What does the model have the best chance of hitting? What is right in front of it, right? Well it is headed toward a warm air festival, the downsloping west of the Appalachians. So it should pull up into SE Ohio and to SW pa. But its ONLY after it actually sees what is or isnt waiting for it in an east of the mountains, that it is likely to figure out where to go after. This is still 24 hours away, IMO in really having a handle on it. Am I right, well we will have to see. I have my oltdimers rule, and they dont involve slitting my throat over a NAM or GFS run. That being said I fully understand I may be wrong.

What I am not wrong about though is the pattern producing this. Enjoy it It is highly unlikely after this winter, in your lifetime you will see a SNOW DEPTH forecast like this, close to 40" ne of Pit and Se Mass. So I am not going to get all bent out of shape and grieve over backyard debacles including my own back yard. If I miss by 50 miles but explained the why before the what a week before, I just cant get upset about it anymore. Yell at the local forecasters that 5 days before had a chance of snow showers in the forecast. But here is what I can say. This target period, the 10 day Feb 1-5, the other 10 day call for the storm we went through in the east, the period Jan 26-Feb 10 which was made around Jan 15 to counter the wave of despair, just like we saw in mid Jan 2010, that winter was over ( Again the SOI crashed and look what the cattle prod did) were all part of a bigger message. WINTER HAS JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT"

see this kind of post annoys me, because it almost can't be wrong, if things happen a certain way, one thing will happen, and if they don't then it wont---so basically he can't be wrong.    I mean he is 1/3 of the way to admitting he is going to bust here, just admit it, you were too far south with the axis of snow

Latest from Larry Cosgrove this evening

"Despite the various computer models either ignoring or downplaying its existence, a huge storm and frontal structure over the High Plains is set to make a mark on sensible weather across the eastern two-thirds of the nation. The equations appear to still be mishandling this broad feature, and may in fact be too far north with the track of the surface low and its upper components. I say this because there is a wide area of Arctic air across the Great Lakes into the Northeast, and the natural tendency for disturbances is to find the path of least resistance. So if you are asking me to agree with the idea that the low pressure at surface will move headlong into a cAk dome covering Quebec and New England, my answer would be no.

What I think is going to happen is that the storm will track from SE MO to S OH, then start to re-organize in a center jump fashion into N VA on early Monday morning. I liked the 12z NAM version of events, which would take the low pressure system off of Cape May NJ, deepen the center to about 988MB crossing the 40N, 70 W "Benchmark", and then speed a powerful cyclone into Halifax NS by Monday night. The 850MB freeze line will likely bulge northward above the Pennsylvania Turnpike early on Groundhog Day, but surface temperatures may be slower to respond. For this reason, sleet and freezing rain may be a problem for parts of E OH....S PA....WV....N MD....N DE....and NJ. I can even see a situation where the NYC/LI metro and immediate coastline of CT get into a frozen/liquid precipitation tussle for a few hours on Monday. Afterwards, strong north winds will usher the snow southward before ending. The heavy snow threat should run from IA....N, C IL....N IN....S Lower MI....N OH....N, C PA....N NJ....NY....CT....RI....MA....S VT....C, S NH....C, E ME....NB. Most accumulations in that zone will run between 6 - 10 inches. But some communities in PA, NY and New England could have as much as 15 inches of wind blown snowfall before the low exits the scene on Tuesday.

"

Latest from Larry Cosgrove this evening

"Despite the various computer models either ignoring or downplaying its existence, a huge storm and frontal structure over the High Plains is set to make a mark on sensible weather across the eastern two-thirds of the nation. The equations appear to still be mishandling this broad feature, and may in fact be too far north with the track of the surface low and its upper components. I say this because there is a wide area of Arctic air across the Great Lakes into the Northeast, and the natural tendency for disturbances is to find the path of least resistance. So if you are asking me to agree with the idea that the low pressure at surface will move headlong into a cAk dome covering Quebec and New England, my answer would be no.

What I think is going to happen is that the storm will track from SE MO to S OH, then start to re-organize in a center jump fashion into N VA on early Monday morning. I liked the 12z NAM version of events, which would take the low pressure system off of Cape May NJ, deepen the center to about 988MB crossing the 40N, 70 W "Benchmark", and then speed a powerful cyclone into Halifax NS by Monday night. The 850MB freeze line will likely bulge northward above the Pennsylvania Turnpike early on Groundhog Day, but surface temperatures may be slower to respond. For this reason, sleet and freezing rain may be a problem for parts of E OH....S PA....WV....N MD....N DE....and NJ. I can even see a situation where the NYC/LI metro and immediate coastline of CT get into a frozen/liquid precipitation tussle for a few hours on Monday. Afterwards, strong north winds will usher the snow southward before ending. The heavy snow threat should run from IA....N, C IL....N IN....S Lower MI....N OH....N, C PA....N NJ....NY....CT....RI....MA....S VT....C, S NH....C, E ME....NB. Most accumulations in that zone will run between 6 - 10 inches. But some communities in PA, NY and New England could have as much as 15 inches of wind blown snowfall before the low exits the scene on Tuesday.

"

Great read....

Thank you for posting Larry's thoughts here...

Please continue!

Steve D is insufferable and predictable. He is always on the cold/snow side of things, and when models trend against him, he "takes a break" or "takes a nap" for a cycle so he can see if things came back into his favor. Now today he needs a reason to go missing for a but because he is still forecasting a more wintry scenario, so he tweets that he is "receiving violent threats" and needs to protect his family. So dramatic.

Steve D is insufferable and predictable. He is always on the cold/snow side of things, and when models trend against him, he "takes a break" or "takes a nap" for a cycle so he can see if things came back into his favor. Now today he needs a reason to go missing for a but because he is still forecasting a more wintry scenario, so he tweets that he is "receiving violent threats" and needs to protect his family. So dramatic.

He lowered his snow totals an hour ago...

Steve D at NYNJPA weather updated as follows

For South and East of I95 a trace-2" of snow quickly to rain

For the I95 corridor including Philadelphia 1-3" snow and 0.1 to 0.3" of ice

For Lancaster to East Nantmeal Townhip to Doylestown to TTN to NYC he has 3" to 6" of snow and 0.1" to 0.3" of ice with Snow to Ice and back to snow

For Harrisburg to RDG to Qtown to Just near ABE to NYC he has 5" to 10" of snow with 0.1 to 0.25 of ice

All Snow to the NW of that with 6" to 12" +

He lowered his snow totals an hour ago...

I wasn't speaking to his forecast at this moment, more his predictable tendencies. He's like JB, easy to guess what they're going to say. Now as for his current forecast...significant snow event for the NYC metro? Significant ice event for the Philly metro? SouthernNJ changes to plain rain by NINE AM? we should never judge a forecast until its fallen, but he is still presenting the wintriest forecast you can find out there.

Bingo. Not a big Steve D fan at all...I don't even pay attention.

JB not surprisingly has not been buying the further north solutions and put out a snow map yesterday that had accumulating snow down to Philly....not sure what he was thinking but....he is not backing down and of course he likes the trends. He also commented Philly and DC will get their snow in Feb/March - he says the snow season is just beginning there.

"I think this storm now is more than likely to trend further south on each run rather than north.. it is what I am counting on. The NAM has suddenly shifted south, though admittedly neither run is not to where I think they have to get ( 50-100 miles south of the current forecasts) But we should wind up with a storm on the Va Capes Sunday night and the upper max far enough south so what usually happens in February when that happens, happens. As it is it appears for the NE the relentless pounding is just going to get worst, with severe cold now coming in stronger waves and the threats of snow"

"As confident as I was with the target period Jan 26-Feb 10 back on the 15th. While some of you have not shared in the total woe ( is as if it wont spread around the wealth as far as snow) there will be a new regime on the helm here that will make sure the proper redistribution of miserable weather occurs, even while taxing the wealthiest of the winter cold and snow even more"

From JB today

" I still think the ECWMF will outdo the GFS with this storm, though the GFS is now seeing accumulating snow to the Mason Dixon line ( actually an isolated area. But amounts have increased around NYC for instance and given its performance in the two events, the one the 23rd and 24th and most recently, last Monday, the area east of what is now I-99 and as far south as ACY to DC is still the same to me with snow. As for most of New England, its like shooting fish in a barrel with snow now, though the barrel is frozen and you cant find it anyway cause its covered with snow"