• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Vendor forecast thread

famartin

Glenn is a stand up guy. I remember a few years ago he forecasted a big storm that failed to come togther. The next night he went on air, looked straight into the camera and said he blew it -- no excuses, like "I got the upper air pattern right but the weather wrong."

Cecily @ 6ABC going with 30-36" in Philly metro, 36-42" LV and 18-24" at the shore.    Expects mixed precip

in noreasters and 1-2 degree below normal for winter.

http://6abc.com/weather/cecilys-winter-weather-outlook/394035/

seems like a fairly reasonable forecast to me  Not too extreme, but the numbers acknowledge that most signs are pointing to a colder than normal winter.

JB on the upcoming warm up - but more cold to follow

"alot of people thought it was going to be a heck of a lot warmer than they do now. Weatherbell has told their clients there was a warm up coming, yes against the severe cold, but against averages quite another thing. And our continued pounding away and letting people know that analogs mean something and to be very careful when the merchants of mild take the field because there are ambushes lurking. If you want to call us the Kings of Cold, since mid winter 12-13, I dont think anyone on our team would have a problem with that"

In addition to the WB team beating the drum all week regarding the Thanksgiving snow threat  JB is seeing the relatively brief warm up coming before the locking in to what is their current winter forecast....we shall see

"I do think a relaxation is coming for the first 10 days or so of December. Its something almost all the coldest el nino winters have. Some have outright warm Decembers ( 1957,1965) There is alot of bouncing around going on out there, but when the smoke clears, I feel very good about what we said before the season. Of the 5 months where the nation is most concerned about energy and snow, the first one is certainly out of the box with gusto. And guess what may happen? Suppose you get this and the cold that is touted.. You get to December 1st and while its getting warmer, all of sudden you see what may be the turn to colder mid and late December

Certainly beating the drumstick for a cold turkey day with snow around would be a feather in our cap if this tail turned out this way."

Latest from NJ PA Weather (Steve D)

For PHL and nearby burbs - Cold rain for most of the storm, ending as light snow on Thanskgiving with minor accumulations on cold surfaces - for far N and W burbs -  Rain, mixing with snow at times.  Ending as snow with accumulations up to 4" possible

Latest from JB at WB

"So the call continues to be the more westward idea on the precip and the more robust snowstorm that the ECMWF has.

That is not to say the GFS can not be right, it certainly can. But it is to say what you are seeing in them plays into the known error bias on storms. As it is, both the GFS and the ECWMF for Thanksgiving Time have a heck of a storm, though the ECMWF is the bigger of the two as far as extent of snow and the spread a bit further west.

I think these larger scale ideas are what to really focus on, at least for me, for they do change where a model thinks a track will be. Given the time of the year, and all the warmth around 2 days before the event, its tough to believe some of the further east ideas for me"

Per JB at WB

"Prettier people than I can take over the storm now and the battles rage on the blogs over the amounts in the big cities. This is a fight DC to NYC in the cities, Though once to Boston, its much more snow. I don't have much change. I like 3-6 park, about 3 PHL and 1-3 DC, but once 20 miles northwest, up about 200 feet heckuva storm"

"Put it this way, its a heck of a lot more than what was being said ( or written off) last week. So I am not going to play in the backyard brawls over someones picnic deck. Not that I am above it, I have just learned that if I can give you some ideas before hand on some things, then I will leave it to the others to clean up any mess, or lack of it.

Now look, you guys fight nice, and remember once you change a forecast, you forfeit what you said before.. right?

I do like overall a blend of the NAM and ECMWF"

Now to the problem at my hand. First of all a heck of a way to run a warm up next week with a high cresting at 30.80 over the northeast

similar (on a smaller scale) to two weeks ago when everyone thought the rain would switch over around midnight and it actually kicked in by 6pm...

I actually enjoy watching these type of (rain to snow) storms unfold as there is often that element of surprise...

seem to recall a huge bust back on Dec 31, 1975 (the year they moved the liberty bell)...

just rain was forcasted and woke up to a foot of snow!!

similar (on a smaller scale) to two weeks ago when everyone thought the rain would switch over around midnight and it actually kicked in by 6pm...

I actually enjoy watching these type of (rain to snow) storms unfold as there is often that element of surprise...

seem to recall a huge bust back on Dec 31, 1975 (the year they moved the liberty bell)...

just rain was forcasted and woke up to a foot of snow!!

That seemed to be a better surge of cold advection than this one.  This system is stronger and holds it up.  NW of I-95 it will probably make it... along I-95 itself... :yikes:

From LC at WeatherAmerica's Saturday Newsletter

"You just have that feeling that the upcoming DJF period will be "something special". After all, the coverage of ice and snow across the Northern Hemisphere is well above normal. Repeated connection of tropical forcing from the western and central Pacific Ocean to the polar westerlies has produced one of the coldest Novembers in history. And a weak El Nino is working in concert with warm water pooling along the entire rim of the shoreline of western North America. So even with the recent relaxation of the 500MB longwave pattern there is still that general sense that more atmospheric theatrics are coming. It is just a question of when, and what feature could "trip the trigger", so to speak, before bedlam ensues and populated areas experience more harsh cold and snowfall.

Over the past few months I have been calling attention to "typhoon injection syndrome", where a particularly large tropical cyclone in the western Pacific Ocean joins with a linkage between convective groups associated with the Madden-Julian Oscillation and the polar westerlies, culminating in the enhancement of an mAk vortex below the Aleutian Islands. Such a huge, cold gyre would then pump up ridging in the -EPO, +PNA, and -AO positions. The furthest chain-reaction result, of course, would be a plunge of bitter cold temperatures into the lower 48 states to the right of the Continental Divide.

As a first order of business, please note that the analog-derived formula for monthly and seasonal forecasting has performed extremely well. Yes, we did see a cold, though volatile November with some states (such as Texas) having their coldest eleventh month on record. And it has become apparent that the milder alignment should control at least the next ten days. But then the typhoon scenario rears its ugly head. There is excellent agreement among the numerical models concerning the formation of a powerful tropical cyclone from the disturbed area now working westward above Papua/New Guinea. This feature is predicted to intensify greatly, then smash into the central and northern Philippines in the 6 - 10 day time frame. Recurving around a growing heat ridge over the western Pacific Ocean, this typhoon would rocket northeastward and become enmeshed within a sub-Aleutian vortex. As was the case with Super Typhoon Nuri, the resultant "superstorm" would build atmospheric height profiles throughout Alaska, western Canada and the Arctic Circle. So at some point during the 11 - 15 day period, we are going to see a ferocious blast of cold slip down off of that snowpack into the Great Plains and points eastward.

It is entirely possible that this could be a transient cAk intrusion. You will notice how warm the West and much of the Grain Belt is in the December analog profile. But around mid-month, the southern branch jet stream will activate, shooting a potent storm along the Gulf Coast and Eastern Seaboard. So I am confident that at some point between December 15 and 22, interaction between high-latitude ridging and a deep Dixie/East Coast storm will send the brutal reality of winter cold as far south as Mexico and Cuba.

And as an extra bonus, maybe chances for plentiful ice and snow for the Hanukkah/Christmas/New Year's period.

See what a cheery mood I am with the arrival of the holiday season?"

JB picking on one of his favorite targets.....the ole GFS

" In the meantime, once again, major development several days out near the east coast, looks like it was not seen by the flagship of the US model fleet. Kind of hard to believe how many times this happens. But at the very least, you can watch for things like this and see if you can pick up the ones the model hits, and the ones it does not. As in most cases, it rarely scores the coup"

ANOTHER  JB    BUST 

JB in a tweet today - not saying I believe him just sharing.....

" If ECMWF, UKMET, JMA and Canadian are correct (GFS stands alone as non-event) we will see how warm next week is in the Northeast...while many shovel snow"