SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range thread

famartin

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I willl be down in Philly area as of Tuesday night.

Last Thanksgiving storm I recall with snow around the late 80's.

Not sure on the year, but we got around 4 inches down around rt 926  & rt 100 area  the chadds ford, west chester area where I lived as a youngster. Hoping the magic works this time.

Best

Hope so too since I'm not too far from there.

The year was 1989, and it was a dry powdery snow.

That winter was good until Christmas, then not so much after that. Seeing this year differently, especially since the long advertised warmup should come the following week. Then hopefully a reset to follow.

Have a safe trip!

Hope so too since I'm not too far from there.

The year was 1989, and it was a dry powdery snow.

That winter was good until Christmas, then not so much after that. Seeing this year differently, especially since the long advertised warmup should come the following week. Then hopefully a reset to follow.

Have a safe trip!

I remember it well. Had to drive down route 70 to Medford from the shore area. Had to shovel the boat off too, stripe bass were still running.

Seems like the probability of a strong El Nino this year is receding.  Forecasters have lowered the probability of El Nino developing to 58%, from 65%, this winter. If El Niño emerges this year, it is likely to be weak. Other long range factors are at odds as the NAO and AO are predicted to go positive - in contrast the PNA is predicted to go positive. MJO while approaching phase 7and 8 mid December have amplitude predictions all over the place. In summary, really no strong signal for the next 14 days.

Seems like the probability of a strong El Nino this year is receding.  Forecasters have lowered the probability of El Nino developing to 58%, from 65%, this winter. If El Niño emerges this year, it is likely to be weak. Other long range factors are at odds as the NAO and AO are predicted to go positive - in contrast the PNA is predicted to go positive. MJO while approaching phase 7and 8 mid December have amplitude predictions all over the place. In summary, really no strong signal for the next 14 days.

The probability of a strong el nino is non-existent.  The probability of any el nino has receded, but still has fairly good odds.

The probability of a strong el nino is non-existent.  The probability of any el nino has receded, but still has fairly good odds.

Some pretty good analog winters with weak El Ninos. Locally, having a hard time remembering three frozen events before Dec.5. Still need a good -NAO in these type situations usually. However, only minor dips in the NAO last year seemed to cause repeated snow events. Hope the parents in Ewing have a good holiday and you too. We'll see if your return trip curse holds up this year ( one of the least known teleconnections).

Looking at the long range models it looks downright warm with very little chance of a winter event for the region through mid month. Would an expert out there be able to explain what's happening and when (if) the pattern might shift to one more conducive for a significant winter event?

Looking at the long range models it looks downright warm with very little chance of a winter event for the region through mid month. Would an expert out there be able to explain what's happening and when (if) the pattern might shift to one more conducive for a significant winter event?

SURE...just read Larry Cosgroves analysis in the vendor thread..

GREAT read!!!!!

Well, considering past winter forecasts from TWC, I'd expect a nationwide icebox.

This was last year's infamously terrible forecast from TWC.

2a7ec091-82ab-476b-86a2-4dbf9a916e59_320

True but this is somewhat consistent w/many others been thinking in the short term. Seasonal forecast are much more difficult and anyone can bust in a heartbeat.  

May be not choco tacos but definitely a window to pop a porterhouse or your favorite on the grill.

I may not be like many but I'll cook on the grill when it's 10F, wind and snow squalls. Throw in a football game and it's almost a gimmie. Either way we're not going to super torch which is acceptable....

Archived