• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Members please read (regarding potential subforum split)

Hoosier

Subforums  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Are you open to the idea of a subforum split?

2. 2. If a subforum split occurs, which arrangement would you favor?

• Lakes (roughly I-80 north) , Ohio Valley (roughly I-80 south)
    • Eastern Midwest (OH, ne KY, e IN, most of MI), Western Midwest (everything else)
    • Chicagoland (ne IL, nw IN), Lakes/Ohio Valley (everything else)
    • Other (explain in post)
    • I voted No in question 1

Please vote above.  This is just a feeling out process and no specific action will be taken solely based on the outcome of this vote.  If you live outside GLOV but are a regular poster in the subforum, you may vote but be advised that it will not receive the same weight as a person who lives here.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditch Ohio and Ontario (GTA) and keep everything else the same.

Ouch. ;)

I like things the way they are. We all seem to be affected by the same systems. For example winter storm track usually affects most of us at the same time, whether it be snow for some or rain for others. I guess that could be said about a lot of systems and different subforums but I feel we all have similar climo in the long run and are influenced by many of the same environmental/geographic factors.

Just my 0.02

Ditch Ohio and Ontario (GTA) and keep everything else the same.

This is the only rational option, everything else wouldn't make sense to split the subforum in half. If this is based upon winter weather then it would even be more of a reason to split it as such. Storms that are good for OH and GTA tend to not be good for Detroit/Indy/Chicago. Honestly too splitting it any other way would really ruin the discuss for both areas.

To be honest at the end of the day there isn't enough activity in this sub forum to necessitate a split, and any sort of inter regional conflicts could be resolved if we actually cracked down on people who troll and add nothing to this discussion at hand. More often than not it is this sort of posting that causes rifts within this region.

Ouch. ;)

I like things the way they are. We all seem to be affected by the same systems. For example winter storm track usually affects most of us at the same time, whether it be snow for some or rain for others. I guess that could be said about a lot of systems and different subforums but I feel we all have similar climo in the long run and are influenced by many of the same environmental/geographic factors.

Just my 0.02

nothing against any posters from the area.  it did help when Ontario posters created their own seasonal threads.

Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin to SEMI makes more sense splitting up then SW Ontario 

Would tend to agree considering the common Chicago, Detroit, Toronto storm track that shaped up this season.

Addtionally on a summer note a lot of severe systems that affect MI will affect ON in the same day or two.

This is the only rational option, everything else wouldn't make sense to split the subforum in half. If this is based upon winter weather then it would even be more of a reason to split it as such. Storms that are good for OH and GTA tend to not be good for Detroit/Indy/Chicago. Honestly too splitting it any other way would really ruin the discuss for both areas.

Splitting up from Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota makes more sense then Ohio and SW Ontario for us here in SEMI

To be honest at the end of the day there isn't enough activity in this sub forum to necessitate a split, and any sort of inter regional conflicts could be resolved if we actually cracked down on people who troll and add nothing to this discussion at hand. More often than not it is this sort of posting that causes rifts within this region.

we could just create an elite group of CHI posters and call it done.

every other post could be "lol, punt, zzzz, and non-event"

Splitting up from Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota makes more sense then Ohio and SW Ontario for us here in SEMI

How many posters are from IA/WI/MN that actually post here? Maybe 5 tops and most of them are in the far eastern parts of those states. If you want to be cute about splitting it, then give MN and most of IA outside of the QCs to the Central/Western region. Several post in both forums as it is.

I think the subforum doesn't need to be split up. For the big synoptic scale storms, usually one will impact the majority if not all of the region in some way. Summer patterns can be variable from area to area within the subforum, but I think between the forums busiest time period from October to about now, a general weather pattern is pretty uniform across the region. The Ohio Valley/south of I-70 can be different, but there really isn't that members members in that area to warrant a separate region to split off.

Ditch Ohio and Ontario (GTA), and keep everything else the same.

I would disagree with this as our climo is much more similar here in the GTA with chicago and detroit as opposed to ohio. Even if we were to think of a clever way to divide up the subforum, poster volume just isnt great enough IMO to warrant a split.

How many posters are from IA/WI/MN that actually post here? Maybe 5 tops and most of them are in the far eastern parts of those states. If you want to be cute about splitting it, then give MN and most of IA outside of the QCs to the Central/Western region. Several post in both forums as it is.

Missouri and Iowa are the only two areas that have almost a complete different weather interest from the bulk of the forum. 

I would disagree with this as our climo is much more similar here in the GTA with chicago and detroit as opposed to ohio. Even if we were to think of a clever way to divide up the subforum, poster volume just isnt great enough IMO to warrant a split.

^This

I'm perfectly happy with the way the forum is now.  Regarding the western edge of the subforum, southeast MN and eastern IA absolutely belong to the western lakes region.  Western Iowa is firmly a plains weather region, eastern Iowa is not.

I also enjoy following the storm threads affecting WI/IL/MI/IN, and even over to the GTA.

I echo the comments regarding member volume.

However, If we are talking strictly winter related weather (which makes up the overwhelming majority of this forum's posts) then any split becomes arbitrary to whatever is deemed the predominant storm track. 

Here in Northeast Ohio, where winter is heavily dependent on lake effect, it makes sense for this corner of the state to be lumped in with other eastern lake effect areas (Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, etc) in the western PA and upstate NY forum. Or perhaps Erie, Buffalo and western NY would be better served moving into this forum. I think we have several Buffalo area posters that post here anyway.

But in terms of Summer weather, a forum split probably isn't necessary.

The best solution (like Ontario and Ohio posters do now) would be for posters from states within the forum to create threads to specifically discuss their weather, to prevent the petty **** like what took place in the April 13th-14th storm thread.

A better resolution would be correcting the petty nonsense from the get go as it absolutely doesn't help the discussion.

I dont see any reason to make a split. Our Candian friends and our Ohio friends maintain their own threads to talk about things in their specific area, since they get limtied love sometimes in the general threads. Admittedly, based on forum population alone, most discussions end up Chicago-centric, but I do enjoy the input from those west and north.

I'm with Stebo. I don't know that there is enough activity to prompt a split. I voted for No

I agree with several above, I don't think there's enough posters to split this sub-forum right now.

I personally like the Ohio/Toronto threads to discuss IMBY type weather, while the main threads are used for more general discussion (or Chicago centric weather too :P )...I do enjoy reading the thoughts of a lot of posters in the western part of the subforum, even though their weather isn't the same as mine.

Archived