joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Bolton, do you remember if they were recording snowfall in November?

It seems like they often record November snowfall, but I’m not sure if they did this year or not.  I checked the Wayback Machine, and the most useful archive date I could find was December 29th:

http://web.archive.org/web/20131229121307/http://www.boltonvalley.com/

At that point they were reporting 58” on the season; hopefully with your Stowe data you might hazard a good guess as to whether or not that number included November snowfall.

I see there’s snow in the Mansfield point forecast in the coming days:

08APR14A.jpg

I was just up at Stowe Mountain Lodge for a function and when I came out at 8pm the base area at 1,500ft was over to wet snow (not accumulating) and the car said it was 35F, so still some work to do at that elevation to get to a accumulation supporting temp.

Wet flakes were back over to all rain by like 1,200-1300ft with a car temp of 36F. Here at home it's -RN and 38F at 750ft.

Looks like actual temps right now are 29F at the summit, 34F at 2,100ft (Bolton's station) and 36F at 1,500ft...still a pretty thick above freezing layer in the mid elevations, so not surprising the snowflakes aren't getting any more than a couple hundred feet below 1,500ft.

I was just up at Stowe Mountain Lodge for a function and when I came out at 8pm the base area at 1,500ft was over to wet snow (not accumulating) and the car said it was 35F, so still some work to do at that elevation to get to a accumulation supporting temp.

Wet flakes were back over to all rain by like 1,200-1300ft with a car temp of 36F. Here at home it's -RN and 38F at 750ft.

It was pouring when I was outside a little while ago, so I checked on the radar and you can see the precipitation hitting the spine of the Greens.  The changeover to snow is shown along the mountains on the colorized radar:

08APR14A.gif

That looks pretty accurate...getting wet flakes now mixing in down in town. Although under reporting what's going on here as it's coming down hard as a sloppy mix. Pretty good burst of precip, I could see the 2,500ft+ elevations picking up a few inches with this as they've been freezing or lower for a few hours.

That looks pretty accurate...getting wet flakes now mixing in down in town. Although under reporting what's going on here as it's coming down hard as a sloppy mix. Pretty good burst of precip, I could see the 2,500ft+ elevations picking up a few inches with this as they've been freezing or lower for a few hours.

Tim Kelly posting pics of heavy snow at 1900 ft

Yeah, pretty grim around here too guys:  mud, ugly old snow, low cloud deck, etc.

Warmest day of the spring yesterday for me but 50* still yet to be reached--49.2* will do the trick.

Still have 15" at the stake but the old snow is peeling away from the foundation of the house and the septic tank area is bare.

J can update their totals to 310" as of this morning. Walked the dog to 3600', snizzle to snow with occasional wind driven pellets just to keep you honest.

man allenson, you got yourself some retention issues:), our SW facing yard is back to grass, in the shade still with 12" woods depth still around 18" but it has gone punchy and is worthless at this point.  Lots of deer making the pilgrimage now out of the winter grounds, counted 30 on the way to the mountain. and 30 last night around the hill here.

Tim Kelly posting pics of heavy snow at 1900 ft

Ran into Tim and his wife last night at a bar in town...that guy loves to have a good time, such a fun dude.

I'm not working today and am not at the mountain...my co-worker is reporting no new snow this morning (it's that time of year, haha), but I've gotten pictures from people of what looks to be a couple inches up there.

Stating to look like spring in the valley here in Stowe...widely variable snow cover from now a decent amount of bare ground, especially in fields and open areas, but then there are wooded areas and some yards that still have a foot or even more.

I see the Stowe CoCoRAHS depth went to 3" in town, and that sounds fine for where ever that's taken...this time of year is so variable. Like my yard for whatever reason seems to hold snow well and still has 7-8" of solid, even cover.

Over the past week I have gone from 100% snowcover to almost bare conditions in my fields.  Still couple of feet in the woods.  Even though my high temp through the period was in the mid 50's even glaciated snow can go very quickly in April sun.  My herd of 25 deer are now scattered in the pastures and within the week will disappear  into the hills to have their fawns.   They have been my constant companions for many months but happy to see they made it.  No more feeding next year, they will be on there own.  Here are 5 pictures, taken every 2 days or since April 1 to show the retreat of the snowline further north into NNE.

post-268-0-84397300-1397072648_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-40996700-1397072650_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-06700100-1397072652_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-15786400-1397072653_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-30504100-1397072654_thumb.jpg

Ice must have moved on the lower reach of the Sandy River yesterday, and jammed briefly below the gauge near its mouth in Mercer. Late afternoon the level jumped nearly 4 ft in less than an hour, to within a foot of flood stage, then just as quickly fell back. Have not seen any chunks in the river where Rt 2 corosses at home, so the upper portion must be awaiting next week's warmth/rain.

CNE Special Today....flow it little too southerly to get SNE warmer. Still pretty nice though for April Standards.

Closer to 50 in AUG. Would be nicer w/o the wind, but that plus low RH may suck some of the water out of the snowpack up home. The middle third of Maine, including nearly all the Kennebec watershed, has SWE in the top 10% of measurement years. 60s/70s then rain could make life interesting next week.

CNE Special Today....flow it little too southerly to get SNE warmer. Still pretty nice though for April Standards.

Yeah...Monday may be a warmer CNE repeat. 60F with a dew in the upper 10s is already doing a number on me...dry skin city.

Maxed at 60.7F here. LEB-CON-PSM peaked around 63-64F. We're still getting a relatively warm southerly flow so it's a really nice evening.

Low of 21F last night, followed by a high of 58F so far...nice diurnal spread and pretty classic April day.

I'm mildly interested in the potential for one last snowfall next week in the Tues night time frame.  The 12z ECM brought 6"+ to a lot of us from central NH back across all of VT and eastern NY down to the ALB area.  Heavy rain changing over to heavy wet snow and the ECM had 0.5-1.0" QPF at SFC temps of 32F or lower.  Can't see all levels so I'm not sure if that's sleet, or mix, but judging by the set-up it would go isothermal wet snow probably as soon as the mid-levels cooled.

The default Wunderground forecast which must just be model data spit out in the form of a "forecast"...but I noticed it has 5-8" snowfall accums on Tuesday night, and 1-3" on Wednesday lol.

Low of 21F last night, followed by a high of 58F so far...nice diurnal spread and pretty classic April day.

I'm mildly interested in the potential for one last snowfall next week in the Tues night time frame.  The 12z ECM brought 6"+ to a lot of us from central NH back across all of VT and eastern NY down to the ALB area.  Heavy rain changing over to heavy wet snow and the ECM had 0.5-1.0" QPF at SFC temps of 32F or lower.  Can't see all levels so I'm not sure if that's sleet, or mix, but judging by the set-up it would go isothermal wet snow probably as soon as the mid-levels cooled.

The default Wunderground forecast which must just be model data spit out in the form of a "forecast"...but I noticed it has 5-8" snowfall accums on Tuesday night, and 1-3" on Wednesday lol.

attachicon.gifNextweek.jpg

Hmmmm. And my kids have vacation next week.

the snow loss in the past 24 hours is crazy.  I was thinking at the rate things were going, it would be another 1-2 weeks to see bare ground down the hill in the deeper/protected areas.  Not freezing up last night here did a fair bit of work on the snow- seeing the snowbanks on their last legs is a happy sight here as cars seem to get stuck pretty regularly the last several days.

50 for a high yesterday.  First one of the spring!

the snow loss in the past 24 hours is crazy.  I was thinking at the rate things were going, it would be another 1-2 weeks to see bare ground down the hill in the deeper/protected areas.  Not freezing up last night here did a fair bit of work on the snow- seeing the snowbanks on their last legs is a happy sight here as cars seem to get stuck pretty regularly the last several days.

Yeah, it's going real quickly now.  Only a matter of days now with some of the temps I'm seeing in the foreast.

Archived