• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring

mreaves

Some dire reports on area courses around here. Sounds like not everybody managed to make it through the winter without significant turf loss on the greens.

A course down the road from us lost just about all of their greens. They're going to open with temporary greens in a week or two. I also heard that Country Club of Vermont, a private, high end course in Waterbury, near Stowe, had some damage. Haven't heard about anyone else. We use green covers but some of these places don't. We haven't had any problems since we went to them 10 years ago.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mansfield picked up a little over 2" of sandy snow yesterday at my stake that I have now pulled out of the woods for the season.

Looks like the co-op came in with 2.6" which fits with them being able to sample wetter/dense snowfalls with little wind quite accurately.

SXUS51 KBTV 192151

HYDBTV

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

551 PM EDT SAT APR 19 2014

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.45 35 17 26 2.6 63

ST JOHNSBURY T 50 34 46 CLOUDY 0.0 0

$$

A course down the road from us lost just about all of their greens. They're going to open with temporary greens in a week or two. I also heard that Country Club of Vermont, a private, high end course in Waterbury, near Stowe, had some damage. Haven't heard about anyone else. We use green covers but some of these places don't. We haven't had any problems since we went to them 10 years ago.

Country Club of VT cleared off their greens toward the beginning of the April (live right up the hill).  Was wondering how they do that without damaging the turf.   What exactly kills the turf (this seems like a silly question to ask...)?

Country Club of VT cleared off their greens toward the beginning of the April (live right up the hill).  Was wondering how they do that without damaging the turf.   What exactly kills the turf (this seems like a silly question to ask...)?

Combination of ice and snow mold.  That period when we had little snow but ice and brutal cold was very hard on them.  I would have though the CC of VT would have greens covers too.  Some courses bury the greens in sand and there are still some greens keepers who don't believe in any covering at all. Ours are covered at the end of the season and they are taken off when the snow melts. After seeing our greens consistently come through winter in good shape while much higher end courses, like CC of VT and Quechee suffer some severe damage over the last few years, I would vote to have them covered every time.  The covers are like those blue tarps but are made of a breathable material.  They cost anywhere between $500 and $1000 each, at least the ones that we use do, but we probably get the cheap ones. :P

Combination of ice and snow mold.  That period when we had little snow but ice and brutal cold was very hard on them.  I would have though the CC of VT would have greens covers too.  Some courses bury the greens in sand and there are still some greens keepers who don't believe in any covering at all. Ours are covered at the end of the season and they are taken off when the snow melts. After seeing our greens consistently come through winter in good shape while much higher end courses, like CC of VT and Quechee suffer some severe damage over the last few years, I would vote to have them covered every time.  The covers are like those blue tarps but are made of a breathable material.  They cost anywhere between $500 and $1000 each, at least the ones that we use do, but we probably get the cheap ones. :P

I don't recall seeing any covers on the greens at CC of VT, but I wasn't really looking.  Maybe they do cover?  Otherwise, it seems like a perilous task to get the snow off without damaging them.

Its always sad when the snowstake finally reads a goose egg, but 1,500ft snow stake today was finally snow free.  Its been patchy for the last 5 days, and its still patchy cover at that elevation, but the bare ground is easily out-doing the snow covered ground now at that elevation.  North facing aspects at that elevation though (such as inbetween the Mansfield ski trails) is still largely covered down at that elevation...but on flat ground and south facing slopes its pretty much gone.

So even as of 8 days ago there was as much as 6-7" of liquid equivalent tied up in 15" of snow, and so during the strong melt in the middle of last week, where most of that water was released (the river in town reached a level not seen since Irene), even these small little creeks were raging torrents.  My bridge over the creek was gone, and walking down a little bit I found it at a bend in the creek.  Amazing that this little stream was raging enough to carry this heavy thing downstream a ways.

Where the bridge should be...

Where it ended up...

As you can see by the wet spot, the snow around the stake finally disappeared within the last 24 hours or so (it was still there as of Saturday), but we are finally at 0".

Still patchy cover though as this whole area is pretty swampy and seems to hold the cold quite well being a notch in the Spine at 1,500ft.

Nice little upslope signal on Wednesday...this is valid 18z Wednesday from the GFS.  The spine could get a little whitening though it doesn't look like low levels will cool enough to bring anything more than maybe some graupel to the mountain towns. 

There is some long range support for some upslope late in the weekend into early next week with a cut-off low near the Maritimes area.  I'll be out of town if that were to happen, but sort of interesting to watch.

Anyway, the NOAA forecast calling for some light accums on Wednesday for the higher elevations.

Tuesday Night Rain showers before 11pm, then rain and snow showers likely between 11pm and 2am, then snow showers likely after 2am. Low around 32. West wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Snow showers likely before 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 4pm and 5pm, then a chance of snow showers after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Windy, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 29 to 34 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Wednesday Night A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Blustery, with a northwest wind 21 to 23 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Down to the final inch of snow tonight, and tomorrow it's gone - might not make it to the 7 AM cocorahs report. Had 142 continuous days of snowcover, Dec 1 thru today, which is 2 days longer than in 2007-08. Most total days with 1"+ was 2002-03 with 146, but that year's longest consecutive run was 137.

Absolutely pouring out...surprised no thunder as it is like that large droplet summertime type downpour.  Very warm-season like.

On an off-note....anyone find it hard or annoying to save the Wunderground nexrad loops?  If I try to save it, it defaults to the wide-zoomed out view and sometimes won't even stay on the same radar scan.

Absolutely pouring out...surprised no thunder as it is like that large droplet summertime type downpour.  Very warm-season like.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

On an off-note....anyone find it hard or annoying to save the Wunderground nexrad loops?  If I try to save it, it defaults to the wide-zoomed out view and sometimes won't even stay on the same radar scan.

I've never had an issue saving them, but i haven't tried since their site change.

I've never had an issue saving them, but i haven't tried since their site change.

Yeah I never had an issue with the old sight, whatever radar type and zoom level you were looking at could be easily saved as a loop. Now when I try to save the loops, it seems to default back to an un-zoomed view of the base radar....which up here with the mountains blocking the low level scans, the base radar is useless.

Spitting snow here too. 40F

Yeah I'm surprised that its snowing (at times fully over to fat flakes) and its still 39.5F on my home thermometer...so 40F and snow, haha.

Radar is very upslope in nature...

April%2023.gif

But the low level scan shows it looks like more on the Spine and east that's seeing the precip fall from the sky.

April_23.jpg

Driving home on Mountain Road from a friend's house, very surprised to see even down at 750-800ft to have full on big flakes coming in on gusty NW winds.  Possibly the last flakes of the season?  You never know this time of year, haha.  Enjoying even an hour or snow showers this evening.

April_23drive2.JPG

The ice went out on my 'home' lake (Morey in Farilee, VT) earlier this week. 

Average date is 4/15, this year it was 4/20-21.

Still have a couple patches of snow down in the shady back yard and cool woods below....

Here's the link for the Lake Morey webcam and timelapse:

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Click on 4/20 ( :pimp: ).  About the middle of the day a big hole opens up and then at right around 1:30pm and southerly puff of wind comes up and pushes the ice all around.  There was still a bit left at the north end of the lake (out of sight of the webcam) the next morning but by that afternoon, buh-bye.

The ice went out on my 'home' lake (Morey in Farilee, VT) earlier this week. 

Average date is 4/15, this year it was 4/20-21.

Still have a couple patches of snow down in the shady back yard and cool woods below....

Here's the link for the Lake Morey webcam and timelapse:

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Click on 4/20 ( :pimp: ).  About the middle of the day a big hole opens up and then at right around 1:30pm and southerly puff of wind comes up and pushes the ice all around.  There was still a bit left at the north end of the lake (out of sight of the webcam) the next morning but by that afternoon, buh-bye.

Is that a really small tree in your avatar or are you the size of Paul Bunyan? 

Just skied a run and damn is it chilly and windy. Summit temp of 27F gusting 40-50mph with wind chills near 10F. Needless to say, the snow surface was glacial hard above 3,000ft and turned to nice corn down lower, especially 2,500ft and lower where temps were above freezing. Hat, gloves, and winter jacket required though. Only a wind-blown dusting of snow noted from last nights snow showers.

Is that a really small tree in your avatar or are you the size of Paul Bunyan?

Looks like he's pruning a semi-dwarf fruit tree - far more athletically than I would. I get what I can from snowshoes, and use a ladder for the rest.

Long Pond (Belgrade Lakes_ was about 1/4 clear this morning and the remaining ice was quite dark. I suspect that today's wind has cleared things past the 50% mark, but 4/24 is the latest ice-out I've seen there since I began commuting Route 27 in 1998.

Dug the overwintered carrots last Saturday, as the snow was almost gone and I like to get them before the 2nd year growth begins. Not a good winter for carrot quality, as over half had significant frost destruction and some were totally wrecked. I piled 18" of leaves on them early last November, but when we headed to Illinois (birth of granddaughter) early on 11/23, the wind was just warming up to two days of screech - snapped the 30" diameter pine at the mouth of our road and tipped over numerous other trees, and evidently blew away most of my leaf mulch. By the time we returned on Dec. 4 there was an inch or two of snow on the ground and temps had dipped to -1 while we were gone. We also had -15 shortly before the 10" storm of 12/15 provided safe insulation. C'est la vie!

Archived