Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last of the snow from the other night melting in the north exposed areas around the house.  Still patches of snow in the woods and down at the bog at the bottom of my hill still about 30% coverage in the woods.

Why do point and click forecasts have to be so bad? Mine is below...  Someone who knows nothing about weather would read that as a 20% of freezing rain from 4am to 5am.  That's not going to happen.  Why forecast to the hour?  It should read, Mostly cloudy tonight with a slight chance of a few showers.  What would be the dynamics for freezing rain?   Don't get it and it just scares people who would have to drive very early.  Anything frozen would not coat the roads or even be a concern.  I think forecasting to the degree and hour is just silly.  Accu weather drives me crazy with their extended long range forecasts that forecast to to a degree a week out or more.  Okay enough ranting!!!!

A slight chance of rain showers before 4am, then a slight chance of rain or freezing rain between 4am and 5am, then a slight chance of rain showers after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Massive flakes and heavy squall moving through at the mountain...snow level was at 1,800ft and then this moved in and its just pounding 1/4sm +SN at the ski area base at 1,500ft.  Not going to stick aside from slushy coating, but nice to see one more heavy squall with inch-diameter flakes.

Cloud is lifting enough now to see out the backdoor and it looks like the accumulating snow line starts around 1,800ft, only 200-300ft higher than here.

More moisture coming in on NW flow from the northern Champlain Valley, so we'll see if we can grab a couple picnic table inches.

What a dreary day...low clouds, thick low visibility stuff spitting snowflakes, snow grains, graupel, rain, etc...you name it its come out of the clouds today.  Even freezing mist and drizzle up higher where temps are in the upper 20s and the low level orographic lift is not enough to really punch into the snow growth zone anymore. 

Looks like a beautiful day elsewhere in New England though outside of north-central VT and the general NW flow upslope zone in N.NH and N/W ME.

Lots of clouds, temps in the upper 40s stiff NW wind.  I have been outside doing yardwork but a cold blustery day. Come in time to time to warm up by the wood burning stove which is still on.   Looks really nice down in the flatlands to my SE.

Yeah...it's been 90% cloudy here too for the last 3-4 hours, but it appears we'll finish the day mostly FEW-SCT. I replaced the fan in my Davis ISS and got the night vision working again on my wx cam.

52.5F

Yeah...it's been 90% cloudy here too for the last 3-4 hours, but it appears we'll finish the day mostly FEW-SCT. I replaced the fan in my Davis ISS and got the night vision working again on my wx cam.

52.5F

There is definitely a latitude gradient with this airmass even in SNE. Makes sense with the quick decrease and thicknesses as you head north.

I had a high of 45.4F on the home thermometer and looks like MVL hit 46F so pretty darn similar... 1,500ft high temp was 41F, the mountain held onto the clouds the longest.

Saw it all today, though the bulk of the day was dreary, it started doing the mountain wave clearing with small persistent breaks in the clouds, while other areas like the Ridgeline remained socked in.

Morning snowfall...

Accumulating snow line...flakes were making it down to 1,500ft, but the visible snow accumulation level this afternoon was up at 2,500ft.  I love when you see evergreens with snow on them, and then like 100 feet lower there's no snow on the trees.

IMG_2713_edited-2.jpg

Mountain Wave pattern causing persistent sun in the base area this afternoon, while the mountain remained socked in. 

IMG_2715_edited-1.jpg

This morning was nasty. Temps in the low 40's, windy and spitting rain. I spent part of the morning at the golf course driving around in a cart looking for winter damage on the greens and opening up the clubhouse. Our greens made it through with very little damage but there is still some snow to melt in the fairways before we can open. We are trying to target next Sunday. This picture is looking from the 6th green back down the fairway towards the tee.

post-363-0-04521300-1397951375_thumb.jpg

Interesting day. Was planning on going skiing in the morning but the water stopped in the house and had to wait for the well guy to tell me it can't be looked at till Monday. So I didn't get to the hill till noon and it was damp, dark and cold. Mtn was socked in with fog. Did a couple of runs and went in for lunch. Figured I'd do a few more and call it a day. On the lift up, noticed the fog was lifting and breaks of sun were increasing. On the lift to the summit it, I realized the snow level was about 2700'. Otg there was about an inch of dense but fine snow. Bonded to the surface. Smoothed out the granular on the trails, and was almost like a carpet in the woods. Tiurned out to be a Great day. Don't recall ever skiing on that kind of snow.

This morning was nasty. Temps in the low 40's, windy and spitting rain. I spent part of the morning at the golf course driving around in a cart looking for winter damage on the greens and opening up the clubhouse. Our greens made it through with very little damage but there is still some snow to melt in the fairways before we can open. We are trying to target next Sunday. This picture is looking from the 6th green back down the fairway towards the tee.

attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

Some dire reports on area courses around here. Sounds like not everybody managed to make it through the winter without significant turf loss on the greens.

Archived