Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

64.1F  if it isn't a torch it sure feels great.  Highest temp in 6 months, since mid October.  It is amazing how warm it feels after months of cold.  

Clouds coming in now so don't think I will go higher.  Looks like we will get into the northern part of the rain in NYS to help start greening up the lawns a bit.

Newfound lake is still very white with thick ice but don't think we will make the record of May 12th with the warmth over the next several days.  Ice should be out of my pond in the next few days and awaiting the peepers to start.

Love this!

couldn't have asked for a better week for run off, steady run all week, no flooding other than a few barns that I know of. First tulip shoots have made their appearance, pretty happy about spring being here.

just some remnants that the VAST was busy for the back half of the season as the sunrise works across the valley

DSCN0068.jpg

our SW facing valley gets blasted with wind and cooked with the April sun, makes for a quick melt and is a daily reminder it won't be long until the big girl in the background looks the same way. Lazy days of skiing here, should be enough to go into May with decent length runs, still quite a few feet of snow to convert back to stream worthy.

DSCN0069.jpg

have good one NNE

Down to 17" now at the 1,500ft stake at the base of the mountain...at least its firm enough to walk on (mostly), with only a few post-holes down to the knees.  For those familiar with the area, and are curious about where the stake is, you can see the old Barnes Camp building that's under-going construction right now through the trees in this first picture.

One can see the occasional foot print that broke through the snow...really a pain in the butt walking around back there, just hoping not to drop down to your knees each step.

And the filthy late-season snowpack at the RT 108 Notch Road closure...

60.7F for the high so far.  Since not much doing in the weather department  I'll attach this picture I just took.  I always have deer on the property but not usually moose.  This guy stopped by yesterday and has been in the bog below my field for 24 hours.  

Ice out in my pond expected tomorrow then the peepers start going crazy!

Gene

post-268-0-99161100-1397331811_thumb.jpg

Well, the snowpack is deep and the weather is warm and sunny, so it was definitely a day to get out for turns.  We headed to Stowe for much of the day, and it was just what you’d expect based on the forecast and good rounds of freeze thaw cycles leading up to it to facilitate the formation of good corn snow.  Actually it was even better than some similar days, because the skiing off piste was excellent in many areas.  Sometimes in the spring, the off piste snow can overly sticky, but there was a lot of good corn snow out there.  Areas that had already received a few turns were definitely the best, but even places without were often decent – we had lots of great runs in the Bypass Chutes.  As PF discussed in another post, you really need to get up into the 1,000’ to 1,500’ elevation range to have that solid snowpack, but it the snow depth quickly explodes upward with elevation.  I’ve added a few shots from today below:

12APR14A.jpg

12APR14C.jpg

12APR14D.jpg

12APR14B.jpg

The BTV NWS is starting to talk about the potential for midweek snow in their forecast discussion.  It’s actually been a rather slow April for snow thus far here at the house, but even in the mountains from what I’ve seen, so it would be nice to get something out of the upcoming system:

GIVEN TIGHTENING THERMAL GRADIENT AND LLVL CAA QUICKLY DEVELOPING BEHIND THE FRNT...SOME OF THIS QPF WL FALL IN THE FORM OF SNOW. THINKING PRECIP WL CHANGE TO SNOW BY 21Z ACRS THE DACKS ABOVE 1500 FT ON TUESDAY AND BY 00Z WEDS ACRS THE CENTRAL/NORTHERN GREENS WITH SOME ACCUMULATION LIKELY ON TUESDAY NIGHT. A WINTER WX ADVISORY MAYBE NEEDED FOR THE MTN ZNS ON TUES NIGHT IF CRNT TRENDS CONTINUE.

Nice pics everyone.

56 for a max out here at the homestead yesterday.  Our yard is still largely snow covered keeping us a little cooler but the fields nearby are almost all bare and it won't be long now.

Quite breezy yesterday too.  Spent the day pruning in Waits River, VT and my long locks were a tangled mess by the time I was done.  ;)

Cool & raw this morning though--cloudy, sprinkly and 34*  Wood stove still running...

Archived