Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring

mreaves

Nice for SR and Sugarloaf...

Snow has started falling over here and we've got about an inch up top already it sounds like though I haven't verified.  Sticking the cars in the parking lots now and the trees are starting to turn white from the pasty snow.

We'll see if the upslope tonight can catch us up to the Maine guys on this event...like that event a couple weeks ago that was similar when we had mix here, they got front end snow, then the following night we ended up surpassing them with 8-13" overnight on WNW flow behind the system, lol.  This won't be that prolific though.

Pics from a half hour ago.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys-I'm usually a lurker but just thought I would chime in and ask a question. At the base of Mt. Snow, it just turned to snow after a rain/snow mix with a temp of 34. Had rain and some ice last night. Any chance the upslope makes it down here? Thanks.

I walked into the hardware store a little while ago and it was spitting rain, but when I came back out, it was snowing.  We’ve got snow falling here at the house as well, so the level has certainly dropped down to the lowest mountain valleys in this area.

I walked into the hardware store a little while ago and it was spitting rain, but when I came back out, it was snowing. We’ve got snow falling here at the house as well, so the level has certainly dropped down to the lowest mountain valleys in this area.

Snowing or snow mixed with graupel down in the village elevation here too.

Took a core of the dooryard snowpack (29-30" deep) for the 1st time in 3 week. It's gone from 9.28" on 3/15 to 11.25" today. Before checking my records, I thought the nearly 2" increase might be bogus. However, since the 3/15 core I've had 3.31" precip (plus the few hundredths that came after 7 this morning) and 1.85" of that was frozen. Temps for the 21 days averaged 35/11/23, with only 2 days having a mean temp above 32, so keeping 60% of the water that fell during that time doesn't seem all that surprising. Mean density of the pack is up to around 38%, approaching ripeness, though the pre-Christmas sleet sandwich is about as thick and hard as it was on March 1 when I did the season's first core.

12z gfs still has the 3" rainstorm out at day 10 - go away!

Took a core of the dooryard snowpack (29-30" deep) for the 1st time in 3 week. It's gone from 9.28" on 3/15 to 11.25" today. Before checking my records, I thought the nearly 2" increase might be bogus. However, since the 3/15 core I've had 3.31" precip (plus the few hundredths that came after 7 this morning) and 1.85" of that was frozen. Temps for the 21 days averaged 35/11/23, with only 2 days having a mean temp above 32, so keeping 60% of the water that fell during that time doesn't seem all that surprising. Mean density of the pack is up to around 38%, approaching ripeness, though the pre-Christmas sleet sandwich is about as thick and hard as it was on March 1 when I did the season's first core.

12z gfs still has the 3" rainstorm out at day 10 - go away!

impressive numbers for 4/5

The Octagon Lodge will be closed today & tomorrow due to a mechanical issue. - See more at: http://www.stowe.com/ski-ride/conditions/#sthash.zybibD5D.dpuf

Oh yeah, I saw "bad day for Stowe" and thought you saw something more serious on the news or something that I wasn't aware of, haha.  Just some utility issue (water or sewer) that won't be resolved until Monday...when you put modern facilities at 3,600ft on a mountain, small issues that would be relatively easy fixes in the lower elevations quickly become more complicated.  The other 3,600ft elevation facility (Cliff House) is still open as usual. 

All things considered, fun day once it got skied-in and softened a bit this afternoon.  The trees remained quite glazed though.

1010220_10151944082837382_1925306796_n.j

Granulated sugar and creamy corn below 2500'. Above that it was frozen. Lower elevation trees were sweet.

Hoping for one more upslope blessing tonight. Praise be ullr.

Unfortunately it looks like we may be out of luck... the upslope machine is turned on, its just too far north.  Jay's getting hit pretty good.

This is why for any sort of westerly or northwesterly upslope, the further north the better.  The synoptic set-up to produce upslope and wrap-around moisture will always increase upslope snow as one heads north along the Spine.  Sometimes Killington is able to get in on the action if the moisture extends far enough south, other-times the big snows end around Mansfield, and then sometimes like right now, its mostly a Jay Peak event...and Jay will almost never miss out on an upslope event, which is why their snowfall is higher on average (and a large part of why annual averages decrease as you head south along the spine). 

I've been seeing persistent flurries flying by the house for the past hour or so, but the more developed band of snow is north of here.

April_5.gif

Unfortunately it looks like we may be out of luck... the upslope machine is turned on, its just too far north.  Jay's getting hit pretty good.

This is why for any sort of westerly or northwesterly upslope, the further north the better.  The synoptic set-up to produce upslope and wrap-around moisture will always increase upslope snow as one heads north along the Spine.  Sometimes Killington is able to get in on the action if the moisture extends far enough south, other-times the big snows end around Mansfield, and then sometimes like right now, its mostly a Jay Peak event...and Jay will almost never miss out on an upslope event, which is why their snowfall is higher on average (and a large part of why annual averages decrease as you head south along the spine). 

I've been seeing persistent flurries flying by the house for the past hour or so, but the more developed band of snow is north of here.

April_5.gif

You're more in the game than I am.

As long as the sun comes out early, I'm good.

It's colder than it was supposed to be too...currently 16F with a wind chill of -4F up top. I'm getting sick of wearing face-masks.

Ahem.

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.TONIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN BECOMING

CLOUDY. SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY...MAINLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID

TEENS. WEST WINDS 35 TO 50 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AND DECREASING

TO 25 TO 40 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE

DIGITS BELOW ZERO.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 30. NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 35

MPH...BECOMING WEST 15 TO 25 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL

VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO IN THE MORNING.

Haha just messin with ya.

Those clouds are having a tough time leaving this morning. Did finally clear here though in the last hour.

Hahaha...my bad! That forecast was spot on. Our internal forecast which is essentially an algorithm for some model data every 3 hours through the day, was off by about 5-8F this morning up top.

Hard to believe it's the same day now...wind decreasing, sun out, snow softening...from mid-winter to mid-spring in like 4 hours.

Snowpack at home here at the condo is sitting at 12" on average at 750ft...varies though quite a bit from shady areas to sunny areas.  Some shaded spots still have 18" and sunny areas or areas under trees are down to 0" or just a few inches.  Still solid cover though for the most part, and the snow has almost completely melted off the roof-tops.

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

I was up on Edson Hill at a friend's house this afternoon, and they've still got like 18-24" just like 400ft higher at 1,100ft... last week though the snow was up to the table tops, so it is melting.

IMG_2381_edited-2.jpg

Amazing that BTV is mostly snow-free except for plow piles...but its that time of year when the differences become stark, just like from my spot to a few hundred feet higher and up near the base of the ski area.  The snow depth doubles in only a few hundred feet it seems.

Snowpack at home here at the condo is sitting at 12" on average at 750ft...varies though quite a bit from shady areas to sunny areas.  Some shaded spots still have 18" and sunny areas or areas under trees are down to 0" or just a few inches.  Still solid cover though for the most part, and the snow has almost completely melted off the roof-tops.

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

I was up on Edson Hill at a friend's house this afternoon, and they've still got like 18-24" just like 400ft higher at 1,100ft... last week though the snow was up to the table tops, so it is melting.

IMG_2381_edited-2.jpg

Amazing that BTV is mostly snow-free except for plow piles...but its that time of year when the differences become stark, just like from my spot to a few hundred feet higher and up near the base of the ski area.  The snow depth doubles in only a few hundred feet it seems.

Totally different world from here. Even very different from the Western Slopes too where very little snow remains:

2ppiqnc.png

Fantastic spring day. Top ten.

Snow on the hill was fantastic. Got little color on my pasty face.

Btw-pf-I don't know what your core is reading but it seemed to my untrained eye that from 3000' down, the snow is getting "ripe".

Never thought I'd be so happy to see a road grader. They did ours about 7pm last night.

Totally different world from here. Even very different from the Western Slopes too where very little snow remains:

Yeah I was looking at the daily climate map and CoCoRAHS observations for snow depth...seems we are right on the line between deeper pack and less snow here on the east slope/side of the Spine.  Snowpack definitely increases as one heads east or northeast from the Spine.  Although by this time of year it seems more elevation dependent... I saw the Stowe 0.2SW CoCoRAHS had 12.0" for this morning's reading, and that seems in the ballpark.  He'll probably come in with a 10" or so tomorrow.  Still fascinating at some of those 30"+ readings but makes sense based on what's at elevation on Mansfield and around here.  LIke I said, even at 1,100ft or so it seemed like there was a solid 18", and up at 1,500ft there's still two feet or a touch more on the level. 

Its always interesting to me this time of year how fast the snowpack increases with elevation...I mean all the way up into the 60-80" range in the upper elevations.  In December you can have not much difference from valley to summit, and then this time of year you melt out in the valley while the summits are still at their deepest depths.

I think the next 48-72 hours will really do a number on the snowpack, especially down here in town.

Archived