• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

It'll cost a lot less than removing the fallen tree and stump grinding!

Coincidentally, I took down a maple yesterday.  It had started to crack through the center of the trunk at the main trunk/branches junction.  I noticed it two years ago as a line in the trunk that was expanding rapidly in both length and width, being able to see clear through it with the widest portion with about 4" of separation.  I'm not sure what started the split.  I did have lightning explode a cherry tree about 100' from it a couple years ago, but since there was no sign of that one getting hit, I can't imagine that had done it. 

When it fell, the trunk completely split.  As a reference point--the saw has a 20" bar on it and I've already cut off 6' of the trunk.  More firewood for me.

Intergrown bark FTL. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

putting merit down today, john deere guys say its fine to put it down now and i do not want to miss an oppotunitty to get it to soak in really well. they say that is the single most important factor to success against preventing grubs. GFS calling for an inch or rain here. is the euro the same?

Moles or munks? That's weird it's in patches like that. I wouldn't think rabbit dropping would do that.

Patches look like those on our lawn where the dog (a large Lab) likes to pee.  We're giving her doggie treats whose manufacturer claims will make dogpee less damaging.  Seeing would be believing.

Cucumber beetles out in full force this morning. Anybody with cucurbits like pumpkins, zukes, cukes, etc., get out and spray if you haven't done so preemptively.

Already sprayed, Had a real issue last year with my butternut squash with squash bugs and eventually the cuke beetles.......

post-1154-0-04846600-1401899899_thumb.jp

post-1154-0-70574800-1401900193_thumb.jp

yuck. I got cucumber beetles now too, never seen them before. What spray do you use? Does a hot pepper and garlic spray work on them? They took out my eggplants before I planted them and now they are working on my pepper plants...

It should, I use a product called captain jack's dead bug, It contains spinosad, I use the concentrate and mix it i with water in a sprayer, Its very effective...............0621417.JPG

I also use a very effective product to kill ants when they become a problem as well but don't want to get into an entomology lesson............... :)

It should, I use a product called captain jack's dead bug, It contains spinosad, I use the concentrate and mix it i with water in a sprayer, Its very effective...............0621417.JPG

I also use a very effective product to kill ants when they become a problem as well but don't want to get into an entomology lesson............... :)

hmmmm, might try that if the pepper spray doesn't work. Does it harm bees though?

You shouldn't use it on flowering plants as it's toxic to bees...

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4LENP_enUS504US587&q=spinosad+kilss+bees

Read on a little further, Its more harmful when they are in a larvae state not when they are adults, I use it once a week and its at night time, Have had no issues, It was also highly recommended product by the Paris farmers Union here in Maine, I would have to look at the label to see what pct the spinosad is, But i am diluting it as well, I think you will find most products to be harmful but it would depend on the application of it.

I've been using spinosad for many years. According to the directions it is toxic to bees for 3 hours after use. My neighbor has bee hives so I try to be extra careful.  The directions also state you shouldn't apply to flowering plants. You might want to send this link to the  Paris farmers Union, as it appears it's illegal to use the dead bug brew in commercial operations....

(sorry, link won't paste)http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Deadbugbrewlabel.pdf

It was posted earlier in the thread...maybe a page back. There was a link to it. They have fungicides. I also would probably try to cut the grass a little

Shorter this week to help dry it out.

thanks i just read up on it a bit. looks like it just needs to dry out.

Archived