SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big critter has made its way into the basement.  Big enough to make it up the steps and scratch/bang on the door.  The cats love sitting there wondering what's on the other side.  Me, not so much.

Just put a havahart down there to see what it might be.  Saw its footprints--not a raccoon.  No skunk smell and it's been active in the day so probably not a skunk.  Probably not a opossum by the same reasoning.

A big critter has made its way into the basement. Big enough to make it up the steps and scratch/bang on the door. The cats love sitting there wondering what's on the other side. Me, not so much.

Just put a havahart down there to see what it might be. Saw its footprints--not a raccoon. No skunk smell and it's been active in the day so probably not a skunk. Probably not a opossum by the same reasoning.

Just let the cats figure it out...nothing like a couple cats to scare something off.

My Holly bushes took a beating from the harsh winter. They've had their leaves turn brown and most of them have now fallen off. They are still alive, cuz when you snap a branch it's green so they will come back.

Rhody's don't look good either. Lot's of brown leaves and brown splotchy ones. 

Anyone else notice this on these 2 species?

My Holly bushes took a beating from the harsh winter. They've had their leaves turn brown and most of them have now fallen off. They are still alive, cuz when you snap a branch it's green so they will come back.

same here and also the boxwoods took a beating too.   I think you're right, the leaves will fall off and new growth will come

I spray my non-deciduous plants like Rhody's and Japanese Andromeda with a product called Wilt Pruf the weekend before Thanksgiving. It coats the leaves with a waxy substance that essentially locks the moisture so that it doesn't escape over winter months. It has worked for me, especially for north-facing plants that don't get much blocking from the wind.  

I spray my non-deciduous plants like Rhody's and Japanese Andromeda with a product called Wilt Pruf the weekend before Thanksgiving. It coats the leaves with a waxy substance that essentially locks the moisture so that it doesn't escape over winter months. It has worked for me, especially for north-facing plants that don't get much blocking from the wind.

Hmm. I've never heard of that interestingly enough. Wish I had known before this winter. Shrubs really took a beating with all those frigid temps we had

My street was repaved last summer and the contractors put grass seed down along the edges after they replaced the curb. It came up beautifully last fall and was thick and green, but now it is all dead and brown. It can be easily pulled up by the roots and looks like it will need to be reseeded. What happened? The rest of the lawn is coming up normally and is beginning to turn green. It's not just our lawn but everyone's lawn along the streets who had their curbs replaced.

e8y3y6ar.jpg

udytaguj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My street was repaved last summer and the contractors put grass seed down along the edges after they replaced the curb. It came up beautifully last fall and was thick and green, but now it is all dead and brown. It can be easily pulled up by the roots and looks like it will need to be reseeded. What happened? The rest of the lawn is coming up normally and is beginning to turn green. It's not just our lawn but everyone's lawn along the streets who had their curbs replaced.

e8y3y6ar.jpg

udytaguj.jpg

Sent from my iPad

Salt from the roads/snow banks.sitting on top of it all winter and then just seeping into the soil underneath. You'll have to rake it all out and reseed.

Salt from the roads/snow banks.sitting on top of it all winter and then just seeping into the soil underneath. You'll have to rake it all out and reseed.

The thing is that I don't remember this issue so much in past winters, so I think it at least has something to do with the type of grass they planted.

they could have spread annual rye too, comes up quick and looks good but then dies

Judging by the photos I found on Google Images, this is probably what they planted. Cheap crap and it will need to be raked and reseeded.

Yep, looks too uniform to be salt kill. 

Not only that but it would be further back into the lawn as well unless the plows go by at 5mph there, maybe they do.  Even if it is from the salt it would come back, just take some time for the salt to flush out of the ground, otherwise you wouldn't see road crews mowing along the sides of the roads in the summer. 

Archived