• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

It's not that much work really. Kevin is probably the extreme, but I'm also not going to let my yard look like something you'd see in the Ozarks either.

I just like a pristine looking property. That's just me.

I got all the all the branches, limbs and twigs from the winter picked up.

Gonna go and grab some fert today and get that down Friday morning before the rains Fri nite into Sat.

Then either next weekend or the week leading up to Easter will get 7 cu yds. of mulch delivered and mulch the beds. i skipped it last year and it badly needs it after leaf blowing, erosion etc.

Then late April will have to stain the entire deck . Skipped that last year too.

Also the house needs painting. Will have to have someone do that. it never ends

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna go and grab some fert today and get that down Friday morning before the rains Fri nite into Sat.

Then either next weekend or the week leading up to Easter will get 7 cu yds. of mulch delivered and mulch the beds. i skipped it last year and it badly needs it after leaf blowing, erosion etc.

Then late April will have to stain the entire deck . Skipped that last year too.

Ugh..same here..all of that..lol. Won't all happen this year though. 

yep,constantly doing something,waiting on cleanup until mud dries

Man these plant species from the Asian subcontinent take over so fast...Eurasian water milfoil, Japanese knotweed, oriental bittersweet, Asian long horned beetle...

So do you just cut the knotweed down so often that it don't have time to take over your lawn? I have some of that low ground creeping raspberry type bush taking over my lawn, stuff is terrible.

4 hours? sounds like you need a lawn tractor!

That's pretty much the approach. 

That is with a lawn tractor--46".  Need more power!!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/02/honda-sets-lawn-mower-top-speed-record/

Cut 'er down.

That's my mantra.

Going, going, going..........

Talking in depth with the guy at John Deere yesterday..he said the Dimension should actually go down the 2nd week of May.With everything about 30 days late this year..he said you want the Dimension to last and work when you need it which really is late July-most of August. The idea about the application going down when forsythia in bloom really is not true. He said that was an old idea that Scotts used to use..but you do want to give the lawn a shot of straight fert over the next week or so

The buds are really starting to swell in parts of the NYC boros.  Some areas have green grass showing up.  Seems like 47-55 degree days do not stop the process.  It must be nights above freezing that help too.  I think we'll see some leaves here by 5/15, and not have to wait till Flag Day like some of you in the interior New England areas. All snow piles are gone in NYC and LI, I bet New England keeps the piles to 5/5.  I bet in the Interior parts of NH, ME and VT, the few rotting snow piles will be reflecting the 7/4 fireworks.

I just lost snow cover here in Lowell over the past week. My neighbor's south facing lawn is just starting to green up, but it will be a couple weeks before mine does.

Up at the cabin it's still winter. Over a foot of snow in the woods, and it will probably linger a few weeks. I don't think leaf out will be until May up there.

You won't notice a difference in appearance from Lime. Try and get areas seeded soon and apply some starter fert to those areas and a general fert for the whole lawn

Oh I know lime won't show a noticeable difference....I just simply meant it was a good rain to wash it in. I actually used that product Bob recommended. Either way, it will help. I filled 7 lawn bags full of sh*t just from raking dead grass and some moss. I tour that crap right out.

I'm trying to figure out why lawns look so dead this spring. Even with the mildness of the last week or so..there's just no green or life to any of them..even in sunny south facing areas. usually you start to see some quick green up..esp after a rain like last night. It's kind of odd.

I dropped some fert yesterday morning..so hopefully that helps over the next few weels

I'm trying to figure out why lawns look so dead this spring. Even with the mildness of the last week or so..there's just no green or life to any of them..even in sunny south facing areas. usually you start to see some quick green up..esp after a rain like last night. It's kind of odd.

I dropped some fert yesterday morning..so hopefully that helps over the next few weels

I said the same thing. I noticed a hint of green-up last week...but this is the most dead and brown yards have ever looked since I can recall. I think ground temps need to warm a tad first.

I said the same thing. I noticed a hint of green-up last week...but this is the most dead and brown yards have ever looked since I can recall. I think ground temps need to warm a tad first.

Maybe due to the frigid temps/days we had in Dec/Jan when there was no snow cover.There were some below zero mornings and frigid air masses ion bare ground

Archived