Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ I just don't bother. Whatever grows is good and the less time and effort I have to put into maintenance is time well spent. I'm also near the top of a hill in a watershed with a creek 100 feet below me so I'm supposed to have whatever fert. I would use cleared with the "authorities" and my preference is to keep them away.

I want to seed some spots so I'll avoid the crab grass preventer in those areas. That's ok.

Straight fert for early green up and then Dimension/ crabgrass preventer. But don't seed if you are putting that down

i overheard the john deere guys talking to a contractor - lesco makes a dimension product that you can seed with. its a lot more expensive $100/bag and he recommended two appliations

Do I need to wait to put down fertilizer after I lime, or can I do it the same day?

i was told you can do both at the same time - the only issue is that if the ph is low you will not get the full effect of the fertilzer for example if your ph is around 3-4 the fert is only 50% effective , don't quote me on the %'s but you get the idea. this is what the deere landscape guys are saying

Massachusetts has a law limiting the amount of phosphorus in fertilizer.  It's not a ban.

Not really. I use 10-10-10 in the garden. The second number in a fertilizer rating is the percent of phosphorous....

All fertilizer labels have three bold numbers. The first number is the amount of nitrogen (N), the second number is the amount of phosphate (P2O5) and the third number is the amount of potash (K2O). These three numbers represent the primary nutrients (nitrogen(N) - phosphorus(P) - potassium(K)).

This label, known as the fertilizer grade, is a national standard.

A bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer contains 10 percent nitrogen, 10 percent phosphate and 10 percent potash.

Not really. I use 10-10-10 in the garden. The second number in a fertilizer rating is the percent of phosphorous....

All fertilizer labels have three bold numbers. The first number is the amount of nitrogen (N), the second number is the amount of phosphate (P2O5) and the third number is the amount of potash (K2O). These three numbers represent the primary nutrients (nitrogen(N) - phosphorus(P) - potassium(K)).

A bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer contains 10 percent nitrogen, 10 percent phosphate and 10 percent potash.

Yeah you are right....I totally forgot about that stuff. It's a good product for the garden etc.

Well more raking today. Hopefully at least get lime or calcium down before the rain Friday night.

Follow the trail.  Signed into law over 18 months ago.

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H3270/History

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H4306/History

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2012/Chapter262

SECTION 6. Said section 64 of said chapter 128, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the definition of “Phosphoric acid” the following definition:-

“Phosphorus containing fertilizer”, fertilizer labeled for use on lawn or non-agricultural turf in which the available phosphate content is greater than 0.67 per cent by weight, excluding organic compost and natural organic fertilizer.

SECTION 7. Said chapter 128 is hereby further amended by inserting after section 65 the following section:-

Section 65A. (a) No person shall purchase and apply or authorize any person, by way of service contract or other arrangement, to apply in the commonwealth any phosphorus containing fertilizer on lawn or non-agricultural turf, except when:

(1) a soil test indicates that additional phosphorus is needed for growth of that lawn or non-agricultural turf; or

(2) the phosphorus fertilizer is confirmed to be used for establishing a new lawn or new non-agricultural turf area.

( B) The department shall promulgate regulations to implement subsection (a) and may, consistent with subsection (a) and in consultation with the department of environmental protection, develop additional regulations designed to limit non-point source pollution from plant nutrients including, but not limited to, phosphorous and nitrogen. Such regulations may require retailers of phosphorus containing fertilizer to display such fertilizers separately and post signs specifying when and where phosphorus containing fertilizer may be applied.

© Regulations promulgated under this section shall be designed to maximize credits provided to municipalities by the United States Environmental Protection Agency relative to stormwater discharge and similar permits, which the Environmental Protection Agency may require of municipalities.

(d) Violations of any regulations promulgated under this section shall be subject to the penalties set forth in subsection (k) of section 2.

^^ I just don't bother. Whatever grows is good and the less time and effort I have to put into maintenance is time well spent. I'm also near the top of a hill in a watershed with a creek 100 feet below me so I'm supposed to have whatever fert. I would use cleared with the "authorities" and my preference is to keep them away.

This, To much work

Archived