• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

This is a message board, not a town or a physical community. People are free to pick up and click onto another website if they don't like the moderation here. Admins are free to be "bullies" if they want. If AmericanWX becomes an echo chamber of just the admins/mods and their clique, that will be their problem.

Trust me, I've seen some of the posts from some of those crying foul now over the last few months and can't blame mods for throwing out warnings at all. Some of the threads this winter were just unreadable, and the feuding and carrying on that happens here is beyond tiring to wade through.

You're beginning to see a whole group of other weather boards popping up. Some of them quite popular. I doubt that this site will take in the same amount of monetary support next year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a message board, not a town or a physical community. People are free to pick up and click onto another website if they don't like the moderation here. Admins are free to be "bullies" if they want. If AmericanWX becomes an echo chamber of just the admins/mods and their clique, that will be their problem.

Trust me, I've seen some of the posts from some of those crying foul now over the last few months and can't blame mods for throwing out warnings at all. Some of the threads this winter were just unreadable, and the feuding and carrying on that happens here is beyond tiring to wade through.

I think that's part of the problem just because this isn't a physical community doesn't mean how you treat people should be any different. That's kind of a straw man argument that I've seen brought up by way to many people.

Everyone posting here is a person. Just because this is an internet forum doesn't mean we have to take the wild wild west mantra. That's aiding to the hostility in here. When folks are belittled by others and provoked and nothing is done, its eventually going to spill over. That's going to happen when someone is continually agitated

I think that's part of the problem just because this isn't a physical community doesn't mean how you treat people should be any different. That's kind of a straw man argument that I've seen brought up by way to many people.

Everyone posting here is a person. Just because this is an internet forum doesn't mean we have to take the wild wild west mantra. That's aiding to the hostility in here. When folks are belittled by others and provoked and nothing is done, its eventually going to spill over. That's going to happen when someone is continually agitated

So you're asking for more moderation? :lol:

It really works both ways. The heavy moderation some have here is a direct result of their behavior in the past. YanksFan constantly bickered with other members such as Allsnow and Forky and made whiny posts that had to be constantly deleted, Snow88 often went on weenie-sprees, and others such as Ace/Noreaster27 were banned for constant negativity and picking fights. It might be "bias", but moderators have a tendency to place higher scrutiny on posters who have had issues before.

I think people also have to read for context and know based on posting history what people really mean behind what they are posting. I know for example that Pazzo would never want someone to kill himself.

It really works both ways. The heavy moderation some have here is a direct result of their behavior in the past. YanksFan constantly bickered with other members such as Allsnow and Forky and made whiny posts that had to be constantly deleted, Snow88 often went on weenie-sprees, and others such as Ace/Noreaster27 were banned for constant negativity and picking fights. It might be "bias", but moderators have a tendency to place higher scrutiny on posters who have had issues before.

I think people also have to read for context and know based on posting history what people really mean behind what they are posting. I know for example that Pazzo would never want someone to kill himself.

Not more moderation, just focusing more on where the problem stems from. I agree with the second part.

That might be the biggest load of crap I've ever read.  We all know that some posters such as Forky...cough...cough can get away with murder on here and other posters forget to cross their T's and receive a warning.

I've donated my last dollar to this site.

This.

Gotta love some people that have been here just a few months trying to tell a community that's been together for the better part of 15 years how it should moderate itself...

I often pine for the Wright-Weather days (minus the constant board crashes).

Agree to an extent... I know Pazzo's post wasn't serious, but at the same time, I could see where someone not knowing the context in that instance would see that post as a stand-alone, and have a valid gripe.  So, probably not the best wx-side post, obviously, despite the context.

This.

I often pine for the Wright-Weather days (minus the constant board crashes).

Agree to an extent... I know Pazzo's post wasn't serious, but at the same time, I could see where someone not knowing the context in that instance would see that post as a stand-alone, and have a valid gripe.  So, probably not the best wx-side post, obviously, despite the context.

Yea, sorry, it was a bit strong, but good ole' William played it perfectly.  Had a good chuckle with his response.

Herein lies the problem. What makes you think you can do whatever you please without the consideration of others? That is just being a bully. Calling someone an idiot is your personal opinion, not a fact. Just because you feel someone post something that you don't agree with,or you do not share the same beliefs with does not mean they are an idiot or the content is inappropriate.

Herein lies the problem.  You take common sense and try to spin it as bullying.  Who should be the additional moderators that we need for balance?  The people causing the most trouble?  The people with the highest post counts regardless of quality?  The people who don't like the people that you don't like?

The day that is how we define balance will be the beginning of the end for this board.

Herein lies the problem. You take common sense and try to spin it as bullying. Who should be the additional moderators that we need for balance? The people causing the most trouble? The people with the highest post counts regardless of quality? The people who don't like the people that you don't like?

The day that is how we define balance will be the beginning of the end for this board.

Someone's opinion of someone else isn't common sense. If your stirring the pot with someone and belittling them and the thoughts they have, how is that common sense? Its not.

I think that's the real problem. This idea that this kind of behavior is justified. People like all kinds of weather. Just because this board leans heavy with winter weather lovers, shouldn't be a reason to troll everyone. Someone's opinions on weather isn't a reason to troll them or provoke them, which is what happens here.

I really don't think that's it. I just think that people who post a bit of banter in discussion threads, or people who's play by play is a little off isnt the real problem here.

I like this forum a lot, and have lurked for several years before joining last year, and have learned a lot. I don't understand why issues can't be discussed, when there are clearly issues that bother a lot of people here

I agree with that.

It would just be nice if folks could respect others. One view isn't necessarily right and wrong from another. Everyone has something to contribute

I'm assuming you mean act like this?

Where is everyone who said it wasn't going to snow?????? Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Archived