Newest Member
    joxey
March 26th Snowstorm - continued discussion and observations

wxsniss

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowcast radars are going to be torture.

Yeah, I think the best banding stays offshore maybe tickling Chatham and ACK.   It'll look like it's coming straight north later, then begin to pivot and miraculously pivot right around the Cape or over the eastern 1/3 to 1/2. 

Dusting to an inch or so from about SE Taunton to Braintree southeast to about Plymouth and SE from there to western warehamish.  1-3" from there to about Sandwich, 2-4 sandwich to Barnstable exit 5, 3-6 east of there with spot higher amounts towards the outer elbow and ACK.

I am banking more on being able to get an inch or so here because of the OE influence which should be able to overcome the massive subsidence at least for a time.

I'm deliberately lighter than models from about mid cape east on the expectation of later slight shifts east.

In a complete turnaround, E Mass folks now should be hoping that the convection that fires off the coast actually pulls the east low further east, allowing the coastal low to gain some separation. That's the only way it will make it anywhere up the coast.

In a complete turnaround, E Mass folks now should be hoping that the convection that fires off the coast actually pulls the east low further east, allowing the coastal low to gain some separation. That's the only way it will make it anywhere up the coast.

It looks like more than anything else everything is just a touch weaker aloft.  As a result we're not seeing quite as strong a development and wrap up until later.  I think everything played out pretty well, just notably weaker with the vorticity on the VA coast later and just offshore, so there's less ability to get moisture further north earlier in the period.  

That has been the trend most of the winter as dryslot mentioned....no blocking everything always seems to be smidge delayed right to the end.  Maybe this one bucks the trend but my guess at this point in throwing in the towel is we see that slight slight delay continue and as a result Charlie Brown does a Scott Norwood.

It looks like more than anything else everything is just a touch weaker aloft.  As a result we're not seeing quite as strong a development and wrap up until later.  I think everything played out pretty well, just notably weaker with the vorticity on the VA coast later and just offshore, so there's less ability to get moisture further north earlier in the period.  

That has been the trend most of the winter as dryslot mentioned....no blocking everything always seems to be smidge delayed right to the end.  Maybe this one bucks the trend but my guess at this point in throwing in the towel is we see that slight slight delay continue and as a result Charlie Brown does a Scott Norwood.

You are probably right. BOX looking like they will need a new map.

You are probably right. BOX looking like they will need a new map.

They will and should wait until post Euro.

Usually RGEM/Euro compromise at this range has worked the best.  RGEM was arguably the wettest it's been this last run.  RGEM face value is warning criteria for extreme SE PYM county, all of the Cape.   Blizzard conditions with moderate to sometimes heavy snow, low visibility, blowing and drifting. 

I may be 100% wrong in thinking this bobbles east, annoying storm and that aspect of it may be clouding my judgment.  

lol and change it again when the Euro comes out?

This winter has been emotionally draining.  Good and snowy but nothing came easy.  There's been almost no cut and dry events, nothing we could just sit back and watch evolve wondering whether we'd get 10 or 15" inches.  Always seems to be 2" or 10".

This pattern may have gotten to me :)

No, they will need a new map AFTER the Euro comes out.

The RAP really wants to split these lows much more than the GFS did. I don't know if that's a resolution thing or not.

BOX has been good with this event.  Not sure they change much even if the Euro is a tick lighter only because it still could meet the criteria.

RAP may be pretty useless with such an offshore system but I thought it looked decent.

ACKwaves is about the only one guaranteed to have a blast, Phil is right there too with a high probability.

I remember it. An absolute crusher for large areas of the megapolis. I was in 7th grade in New Jersey and it was very special.

8th grade for me.  It was cold and raw when we got to school that day, 6-8" of powder and SN+ as we boarded the buses when classes were called at noon.  About 18" total in NNJ, most falling with temps in the upper teens, mighty cold for March snow there.

Expecting clouds, wind, and maybe a dusting at my inland location.  We've done mighty well this month, however, so whining not permitted.

Light snow here in Augusta Maine 25F  Has anyone seen the CMC yet?? more west ..more precip ..wonder how this will play out on Wednesday...being as progressive as is..still think the snow totals are two low for Maine when it gets into the Gulf of Maine...just saying.  new Euro could be a game changer for us in much of Maine.   http://NeWeathertrack.com

Archived