Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally different climate then during the Maunder Min.

NA in the 35-45N range was probably 4-5C colder overall in March and April then. I can't imagine the kind of incredibly moisture laden storms riding along late season arctic blasts that would be way colder than now.

Maunder Min was back in the 1600s...way earlier than the 1800s.

And you are probably way over-estimating the difference in average temps. 5C colder and we'd literally be ice/snow covered in central/northern New England through May, lol.

For a few years after Tambora though, there were some brutal years, but that was in 1815 after the alleged 1807 April Fools Storm.

Yeah, After a rough go early on for you guys up their, You recovered nicely, Its going to be a while here to go snow free and ice free, 1st time ever in history, The State Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is allowing ice fishing to continue into april as typically, 3/31 ends the ice fishing season and 4/1 starts the open water season, The lakes and ponds still have 3-4' of ice on them here locally with the shoreline not even opening up as of yet, There may be some records set for the latest ice out this year

Two anglers below the spillway in Belgrade Village this afternoon, with barely enough room to cast without the lure landing on the ice.  The extended season is only slightly tempting - 30" ice beneath several inches of slush, with my hand auger...no thanks. 

I'd nominate 3/1888 as a 200-yr event for the upper Hudson Valley and adjacent western New England, as there were a number of reports of 45-55" snowfall, though the drifting was monstrous.  The 56" at Berlin, NH in Nov 1943 also comes to mind, the ultimate paste bomb, and there were lots of 30"+ reports in that part of NH and adjacent Maine points.  The Octobomb probably also qualifies, but only for its timing. 

Maunder Min was back in the 1600s...way earlier than the 1800s.

And you are probably way over-estimating the difference in average temps. 5C colder and we'd literally be ice/snow covered in central/northern New England through May, lol.

For a few years after Tambora though, there were some brutal years, but that was in 1815 after the alleged 1807 April Fools Storm.

My bad I was thinking of the Dalton min.

NCDC shows Conn and Mass about 1.65C warmer now in April versus the 1890s.

Yeah 4-5C is probably way to warm on average but during the Dalton min which that storm was during probably 2.5C colder than now is possible.

That would make major April Noresters expecially over the interior far more likely to be big time snows.

Expecially with snow cover and sea ice being larger in April too.

It's a shame that our records before the 1800s are random at best,

I'm ready. Was a good finish after a frustrating mid-winter period, snowfall wise. Temp wise, it's been a long winter since early November...and we should have seen it coming. MVL here had it's first sub-zero November readings since 1989 and then capped off the winter with 16 sub-zero readings in March and a record cold month.

I wonder how long till we are completely snow-free, snowbank piles and all. Haven't truly seen the grass since November 23rd...though came close in January when there was 1-2" of solid ice in the yard with standing water on top.

Well, I promised my mother it will be all gone by her birthday...April 21st.  Hope that's realistic!

What are some of the coldest April's on record? 

ORH's coldest Aprils on record are:

1. 40.3...1972

2. 40.6...1956

3. 40.7...1926

4. 40.8...1975

4. 40.8...1943

We haven't had a really cold April since 2003.

1. 40.3...1972

2. 40.6...1956

3. 40.7...1926

4. 40.8...1975

4. 40.8...1943

1972 and 1975 were pretty active in terms of severe weather...well at least in terms of tornadoes...especially 1972.  (Across New England).  I forget about 1956

My bad I was thinking of the Dalton min.

NCDC shows Conn and Mass about 1.65C warmer now in April versus the 1890s.

Yeah 4-5C is probably way to warm on average but during the Dalton min which that storm was during probably 2.5C colder than now is possible.

That would make major April Noresters expecially over the interior far more likely to be big time snows.

Expecially with snow cover and sea ice being larger in April too.

It's a shame that our records before the 1800s are random at best,

Yeah 4-5C colder is a wee bit too cold..lol. I understand what you mean, it likely was colder, but we'll never know how much " snowier" it was. Considering April snowstorms tend to be flukier....you could easily have a period even in this day and age that rivals Aprils of the 1800s.

1. 40.3...1972

2. 40.6...1956

3. 40.7...1926

4. 40.8...1975

4. 40.8...1943

Up here April 2007 was a tiny bit cooler than 2003, though the most recent top 10 is 1995.  Helped that '07 blew away April snowfall records in W.Maine.

Jackman, Me has 45" on the level. Better hope for a slow warm up.

Yup.  Still 32" at my place this morning, and it's probably about a 3:1 ratio - lots of water in Kennebec and Androscoggin watersheds.

Well yeah..but if the sun is out it'll be 60ish give or take. Prob chilly nighttime lows, but mild, sunny afternoons. Just boring, spring wx at it's finest..And we'll get an occasional onshore, cold rainy day like Friday and next Tuesday

I punted last week but thats a below normal look. Boring until next Nov unless you like tracking dews isolated severe and sunrise times.

Sun is fine this time of year...even if it's below normal. It's the onshore flow and low clouds that are misery.

If somehow Saturday can break out in the aftn..it could be very mild.

The period near mid April starting around the 12-13th could be real ugly with a shot of polar air trying to move south. It has all the making of something late season...esp NNE.

Wow how the deportment of the overall modeling changed over night! It's like a seasonal switch instantly turned on the light of milder climate... Notice how the cold side of that trough next week lost some 5c of minus value through lower troposphere every where. All the models did this too. Fascinating. We may not see any snow until next autumn if that's for real

Wow how the deportment of the overall modeling changed over night! It's like a seasonal switch instantly turned on the light of milder climate... Notice how the cold side of that trough next week lost some 5c of minus value through lower troposphere every where. All the models did this too. Fascinating. We may not see any snow until next autumn if that's for real

It's a very changeable pattern. Every run has come in warmer in some areas..colder than others and vise-versa.

I hope we keep it quite cold just to our north through May as we start to get ridging building in.  That would mean a pretty tight baroclinic zone...stronger cold fronts and faster jet stream and perhaps more available jet energy...also maybe some pretty cold temps aloft.  

Yeah, lets get those highs to the north. That's always a plus.

Archived