SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesnt feel or taste quite the same or as good as it would if it was Dec or Jan. By Morch you know winters days are numbered. At least you guys got it, but I don't think there's anyone would choose to have it happen in Morch instead of a deep winter month when you still have 2-3 to go

If you want to poo-poo it a little that's fine, but I'd argue this felt better after being semi-shafted all season. I'm not as big of a season-in-season person or whatever and to be honest really like this time of year with the longer daylight. I would love to do winter with summer daylight, as I'm not a fan of it being dark when I go to work and dark when I come home.

But look at the temps for MVL this month, that's a full winter month. It didn't rain for like 6 weeks straight, it was cold and snowy. We have a hard time getting that done even in mid-winter...going that long without a liquid precip event.

I mean if you want to be "choosing" weather, I'd choose snowy with no rain from October to May...but that's irrelevant because we don't get to pick our weather. It was a great month and one that skiers will remember out of winter 2013-2014.

If you want to poo-poo it a little that's fine, but I'd argue this felt better after being semi-shafted all season. I'm not as big of a season-in-season person or whatever and to be honest really like this time of year with the longer daylight. I would love to do winter with summer daylight, as I'm not a fan of it being dark when I go to work and dark when I come home.

But look at the temps for MVL this month, that's a full winter month. It didn't rain for like 6 weeks straight, it was cold and snowy. We have a hard time getting that done even in mid-winter...going that long without a liquid precip event.

I mean if you want to be "choosing" weather, I'd choose snowy with no rain from October to May...but that's irrelevant because we don't get to pick our weather. It was a great month and one that skiers will remember out of winter 2013-2014.

He's a clown...look who disrobed over 1.5" of slush.

Doesnt feel or taste quite the same or as good as it would if it was Dec or Jan. By Morch you know winters days are numbered. At least you guys got it, but I don't think there's anyone would choose to have it happen in Morch instead of a deep winter month when you still have 2-3 to go

I sort of agree with this...we have had a bad string of Marches (2014, 2011, and 2010 basically snowless) here near NYC, although last year was decent with 7-8" in Brooklyn and 13-14" in Westchester. But it doesn't feel the same in March anyway...the daylight is stronger, the snowpack doesn't last, everything is warming up and melting. 

Am I the only person who likes March snow? Who cares if it melts...March snows are sometimes some of the most intense and high impact snows.

No one said they don't like Morch snow. But they have a different feel than Dec -Feb cuz you know spring is upon you. It sucks when it snows and melts. No one likes that. It's great in the ski areas but they too would prefer snow earlier I would think as it drives more people to slopes in true winter than Morch or spring.

Am I the only person who likes March snow? Who cares if it melts...March snows are sometimes some of the most intense and high impact snows.

March snow is awesome when its deep deep winter...I was up at Sunday River and I agree 100% with powderfreak. It looked nothing like March or spring and the snowpack was epic.

Even got a nice 2-3 inch refresher while up there. Northing like 27F and bursts of hevy snow on a southeast wind on March 22nd, lol.

I'll take the March they had over the December/January we had any day of the week. We got several cutters mixed in...they didn't.

No one said they don't like Morch snow. But they have a different feel than Dec -Feb cuz you know spring is upon you. It sucks when it snows and melts. No one likes that. It's great in the ski areas but they too would prefer snow earlier I would think as it drives more people to slopes in true winter than Morch or spring.

March is one of the most dynamic months. You start warming up the waters in the source region down across the SE and Gulf of Mexico and you get some real tempests. Jan and Feb are great...but March bombs are awesome. So what if it doesn't feel the same...the storms themselves beat Jan and Feb storms.

Also like Will said...if you have a deep winter feel...you won't even know you are in March. I'm sure the folks in DC who had 20" this month don't feel different about the snow that fell.

March is one of the most dynamic months. You start warming up the waters in the source region down across the SE and Gulf of Mexico and you get some real tempests. Jan and Feb are great...but March bombs are awesome. So what if it doesn't feel the same...the storms themselves beat Jan and Feb storms.

Also like Will said...if you have a deep winter feel...you won't even know you are in March. I'm sure the folks in DC who had 20" this month don't feel different about the snow that fell.

Well the ski resorts are one thing where it will last. But snow doesn't last in DC in any month

I love March, April, and May snows. I could care less if it melts later. Just the idea of it snowing when the sun angle, warmer temps, and other factors make it harder to snow and accumulate is very interesting and fun. I would love to see an epic June snowfall in New England.

Well the ski resorts are one thing where it will last. But snow doesn't last in DC in any month

See, this is when you need to separate your emotions. If you had the storms NNE or even DC had this month...I am 100% confident your post would not exist. Hell you pranced around like a school girl for 1.5" of slush that will be gone by 5pm.

I love March, April, and May snows. I could care less if it melts later. Just the idea of it snowing when the sun angle, warmer temps, and other factors make it harder to snow and accumulate is very interesting and fun. I would love to see an epic June snowfall in New England.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/car/Newsletter/htm_format_articles/climate_corner/yearwithoutsummer_lf.htm

According to this, NNE had 6-12" on June 7, 1816. Unsure about signifcant June snowfalls under "normal" climate conditions.

Spring is never more than a few months away in the winter. Shoot... we'll all die someday and then the snow will really not matter. Delaying the inevitable is fine but snow is snow. We just endured six weeks of dwindling snowpack, and it was fun, but I would have taken a couple fresh snows that melted quickly over watching the winter melt and sublimate away, inch by inch.

Archived