joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 storm potential

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for it to snow and stick during the day in late March or April it has to be very cold like 1970 and 1982 storms...2003 was a daylight event and temps were just below freezing and it stuck anyway...That was a cold winter and maybe the ground wasn't fully thawed out like this year so far...

Can also do with the depth of the cloud deck.

for it to snow and stick during the day in late March or April it has to be very cold like 1970 and 1982 storms...2003 was a daylight event and temps were just below freezing and it stuck anyway...That was a cold winter and maybe the ground wasn't fully thawed out like this year so far...

as though any of you understand convective parameterization

As if you understand the diffusivity equation. D'Arcy's law and mass balances and can understand three phase fluid flow through porous, heterogeneous and anisotropic media.  Not that I do.  Why oil companies pay for reservoir modeling software..  But my profs sort of did.

No forums of interested amateurs for engineering, obviously.

But in a serious vein, regarding 'convective feedback' on the modeling and my layman's understanding how superior resolution tends to reduce convective feedback issues, even some Euro solutions have shown it, and the more intense low is closer to the Gulf Stream.

Phil made a comment in the SNE subforum, I asked the question, I don't think he ever saw it.  Any red tagger or Don Sutherland grade super-amateur- why couldn't this develop a warm core low from convective feedback.  And, if HM thinks that would promote a more Westward track, why is that?

And does anybody think we can get the type of Winter storm that on visible looks like it has an eye like feature?  Love those.  (IR, not so good, all the color North of the center).

A) A 955 mb winter storm never hits this area and won't be hitting this area.

B ) Where was the beach? Maine?

C) It doesn't matter, this is going to miss east and I congratulate any meteorologist (irrespective of what HM might say) that is willing to make a stand and use objective reasoning to make a claim and call this a miss for the NYC metro (LI is still up for debate).

And if in the low probability this is a MECS for NYC proper, I would HATE to be THAT meteorologist who spoke with such difinity, 5 days out.

This is a case where we can get away with a crappy looking western ridge. The GGEM went negative tilt 6 hours later than what we would have needed. Look how much more the 700mb low is tucked into the coast though? This is either a largely tilted system or the track of the 500mb features will eventually end up closer to the coast than currently projected.

f114.gif

A) A 955 mb winter storm never hits this area and won't be hitting this area.

B ) Where was the beach? Maine?

C) It doesn't matter, this is going to miss east and I congratulate any meteorologist (irrespective of what HM might say) that is willing to make a stand and use objective reasoning to make a claim and call this a miss for the NYC metro (LI is still up for debate).

A.) all 3 global models show a sub 960mb low passing east of the benchmark, so never say never, it only takes a 50-100 mile shift west

B. where were you for the October 2012 snowstorm ?? 5" at bdr on the water during the day

C) any meteorologist that makes a stand and says it will be a miss would look like a genius if they are right but pretty dumb making a call this early if they are wrong

I'd think at some point extreme snowfall rates, esecially *not* on dark surfaces like pavement, would trump the amount of through cloud insolation.

I've though the same thing about mid-Winter storms with surface temps 2 or 4ºF above freezing, a tenth or two in six hours probably melts before it can accumulate, an inch in six hours probably sticks pretty well (even if pasty and low ratio) at 36 or 37ºF.  I would think even whether p-type is cold rain or snow would be affected by precip  intensity at marginal surface temps.

Just using common sense.  No book learning involved.

If this winter has taught us anything its that consensus 4 days out does not exist

It equates to less spread amongst the individual ensemble members which is reflected by a stronger low pressure system. 12z Also has more members leaning west than 06z which is a good sign. We probably lost more members this run that were way out to sea.

The 12z GEFS ensemble mean is a bit further west this run and stronger with the low, some sort of consensus forming as it would appear to be losing some of the more extreme solutions in both directions.

This takes a BM track its going to be an absolute beast. One thing that hasnt been touched upon besides snowfall is the winds this would produce, possiblt 60mph+ on the coast

This takes a BM track its going to be an absolute beast. One thing that hasnt been touched upon besides snowfall is the winds this would produce, possiblt 60mph+ on the coast

It would be an awesome storm to be down here for if it hits at full potential. Boxing Day and even the 2/25/10 storms were great here for high wind.

If this winter has taught us anything its that consensus 4 days out does not exist

We'll see. I don't think any model has dropped a storm idea and brought it back with this possible event yet. I could be wrong tho. This might have some consensus for a storm of some type not getting into location and strength topics. 

We'll see. I don't think any model has dropped a storm idea and brought it back with this possible event yet. I could be wrong tho. This might have some consensus for a storm of some type not getting into location and strength topics.

I meant an exact or approximate solution. Even if every model showed the exact same thing I wouldn't latch on until inside 72 hours at the earliest.

It would be an awesome storm to be down here for if it hits at full potential. Boxing Day and even the 2/25/10 storms were great here for high wind.

Boxing day had some of the highest winds during a snowstorm ive experienced. This really bombs and hits the BM my bet is the winds would rival it on the coast handely, not very often a Miller A of this magnitude threatens out area

PNA due to spike towards neutral beginning tomorrow. I think the models will start to feel that out no later than tomorrow. Should see a corresponding, gradual increase in the amplitude of the ridge out west. If we dont see this trending slightly west by tomorrow, well then I think everyone except the coast should start getting concerned about a near-miss. Still too early...

This is all I needed to see in order to increase my confidence that the track will come NW

nav_precip_mslp_east_19.png

Im not concerned whatsoever with the GFS at this stage. We all know in here what model(s) to use to track Miller A's. IMO the navgem like you posted should put to bed some of the OTS preachers

I think this would need to be slightly closer than the BM to produce 60+ mph winds on the coast. Eastern LI and possibly the Cape maybe but I don't think winds that high make it that far west.

This is a case where we can get away with a crappy looking western ridge. The GGEM went negative tilt 6 hours later than what we would have needed. Look how much more the 700mb low is tucked into the coast though? This is either a largely tilted system or the track of the 500mb features will eventually end up closer to the coast than currently projected.

All mid-latitude cyclones are tilted vertically... toggling between height levels this one seems about standard as progged, at least from what I've studied in the past.

Archived