joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading the winter of 2013/14

thunderbolt

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40" isn't terribly uncommon and certainly not worthy of an A+.  A grade that good would require record-breaking cold, record-breaking or near record-breaking snow, and at least one HECS.

Also I could be wrong but I have to believe that most of the 50" winters NYC has had have seen at least one widespread 12+ inch storm throughout the area which this winter lacked...

40" isn't terribly uncommon and certainly not worthy of an A+.  A grade that good would require record-breaking cold, record-breaking or near record-breaking snow, and at least one HECS.

Also I could be wrong but I have to believe that most of the 50" winters NYC has had have seen at least one widespread 12+ inch storm throughout the area which this winter lacked...

between 1949-50 and 1992-93 KNYC got 40" five times...I was born in 1949 so 40" was a lot of snow during my first 44 years...Since 1993-94 we got nine 40"+ winters and one 35 incher...from 1967-68 to 1992-93 there was only one winter over 35"...1977-78...It's all relative to what you have experienced in your lifetime...

it used to be if KNYC got 40" for the season it was an A+...The last 21 years have five winters with over 50" of snow...three of the last five had over 50"...We are being spoiled...before 1993-94 there were five 50" winters in over 60 years...only 17 times since 1869 KNYC had over 50" of seasonal snowfall...This year was also cold with more days below freezing than most of the 50" winters...

I suspect many of these folks are pretty young? Anyone giving this winter less than an A- can't fathom the pain of the 1980's (NYC) and the 1990's. (Other than 93 94 96, that decade was down right snowless and painful).

As others have said it was the combo of snow and cold which gave it an A in my book. I think we had 3 storms with temps between 10-15 degrees... others have mentioned the lack of a really big storm but I would much rather have the smaller storms followed by arctic cold than a 20 incher followed by high temps above freezing. Btw I'll up my grade to an A+ if we could just get some snow this month.

As others have said it was the combo of snow and cold which gave it an A in my book. I think we had 3 storms with temps between 10-15 degrees... others have mentioned the lack of a really big storm but I would much rather have the smaller storms followed by arctic cold than a 20 incher followed by high temps above freezing. Btw I'll up my grade to an A+ if we could just get some snow this month.

Exactly! Never gonna get another winter where 8-15" of snow falls below 15 degrees, twice.

A.

Some highlights:

1. 1st subfreezing high temperature in November since 1996

2. 61° low temperature on 12/22/2013 -- highest ever during the winter season

3. 4° low temperature on 1/7/2014 was the lowest reading in NYC since 1/16/2004

4. 7 low temperatures below 10°, the most since winter 2003-04

5. 3 high temperatures below 20°, the most since winter 2003-04

6. 9° low temperature on 2/28/2014 was the coldest so late in the season since 1967

7. 18° low temperature on 3/13/2014 was the latest reading in the teens since 1993

8. Biggest snowfall of 12.5"

9. Two 10" or greater snowstorms

10. Seasonal snowfall to date of 57.4" (7th highest on record)

A.

Some highlights:

1. 1st subfreezing high temperature in November since 1996

2. 61° low temperature on 12/22/2013 -- highest ever during the winter season

3. 4° low temperature on 1/7/2014 was the lowest reading in NYC since 1/16/2004

4. 7 low temperatures below 10°, the most since winter 2003-04

5. 3 high temperatures below 20°, the most since winter 2003-04

6. 9° low temperature on 2/28/2014 was the coldest so late in the season since 1967

7. 18° low temperature on 3/13/2014 was the latest reading in the teens since 1993

8. Biggest snowfall of 12.5"

9. Two 10" or greater snowstorms

10. Seasonal snowfall to date of 57.4" (7th highest on record)

Hello Don,

My thoughts on an "A" grade for cold would include record cold temps for at least 20% of the days in winter.

Grade of an "A: should be hard to achieve.

C - Average

B - Above Average

A - Nothing short of constant historical cold, smashing all time record lows

F, for the extreme cold, the consistent cold, and the excessive snowfall, which was enough to sustain a snowpack for about a month. If we see anymore ice, snow, etc. this winter will instantly become an F- in my eyes.

The 70's we had in late December is the highlight of this winter for me, and the Christmas Eve "snow haboob" on Long Island with 5-ish inch per hour snow rates.

B plus for the south shore. We had allot more mix and rain then the rest of the area. We also lost our snow pack allot earlier/quicker outside some mall piles there is nothing left.

If the last two storms had hit it would be an A

Didn`t you guys get to 50 for the year   ?   Twice you`re average  That`s a B ?  Harsh man . 

B plus for the south shore. We had allot more mix and rain then the rest of the area. We also lost our snow pack allot earlier/quicker outside some mall piles there is nothing left.

If the last two storms had hit it would be an A

Probably right. Up until the Feb 13th shafting we were on track for an A. The lack of a storm over 10" also lowered the grade.

Didn`t you guys get to 50 for the year   ?   Twice you`re average  That`s a B ?  Harsh man . 

There literally was a finger of warm air on 2/13 that intruded over extreme southern Queens, Nassau, and Brooklyn. When in a coastal hugger the south shore of Long Island goes over to rain/sleet hours before much of even Monmouth County does, it's a shafting for sure.

There literally was a finger of warm air on 2/13 that intruded over extreme southern Queens, Nassau, and Brooklyn. When in a coastal hugger the south shore of Long Island goes over to rain/sleet hours before much of even Monmouth County does, it's a shafting for sure.

That`s what didn`t get you to 60 , but 200 perc of normal ( 50 inches ) and Minus 4 for 3 months is an anomaly on the coast  

( prob 1 in 10 over 100 year period  ) But I respect that beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

Just wish some saw the 80`s , Would have drooled over this . 

2000`s made em spoiled . 

That`s what didn`t get you to 60 , but 200 perc of normal ( 50 inches ) and Minus 4 for 3 months is an anomaly on the coast

( prob 1 in 10 over 100 year period ) But I respect that beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

2000`s made em spoiled .

Sure we had plenty of snow the January storms alone helped get to B. like jm said the feb south shore torch was very hard to watch. Every few miles north you went it was another inch. Those types of events suck. We went from 3" hours parachutes to sleet and rain around 9am when the rest if the area had hours of snow left.

Granted it happens around here but for me an A would include less mix and have snow events continue after mid feb.

It's not over yet. One more 3" plus event its a B plus and one last big one 8 plus and its an A

Sure we had plenty of snow the January storms alone helped get to B. like jm said the feb south shore torch was very hard to watch. Every few miles north you went it was another inch. Those types of events suck. We went from 3" hours parachutes to sleet and rain around 9am when the rest if the area had hours of snow left.

Granted it happens around here but for me an A would include less mix and have snow events continue after mid feb.

It's not per yet. One more 3" plus event its a B plus and one last big one 8 plus and its an A

Fair enough. Up in Laurel Hollow , was an A plus up there w N of 60  . NS vs SS . I know the differences bite sometimes  . 

I suppose if you did an average of Dec-Mar you could end up with a lower grade.

Jan+Feb are obvious A's, even A+'s. December is a solid A-/B+, decent amount of snow but only average temps.

March while cold has been snowless for most of us so I'd only give it a B-/C+ at this point. If it was warm it would be a D or worse but the cold has been impressive.

I suppose if you did an average of Dec-Mar you could end up with a lower grade.

Jan+Feb are obvious A's, even A+'s. December is a solid A-/B+, decent amount of snow but only average temps.

March while cold has been snowless for most of us so I'd only give it a B-/C+ at this point. If it was warm it would be a D or worse but the cold has been impressive.

Winter as  whole ? or March ? 

( prob 1 in 10 over 100 year period  ) But I respect that beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

2000`s made em spoiled . 

The vast majority of our snow fell from Jan 2nd through Feb 4th. I only had 7" from the 2/13 storm. It's hard to give an A to a season with snow over only one month. I'd rate winter 2010-11 similarly.

Archived