• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/18-3/19 Icy Event

JoshM

My aunt and cousin are stranded at PTI airport. My cousins flight came in at 9:05 (2 hours late) and now his luggage is lost. They are advising her not to leave. She's from Florida, in a rental car and has NO experience driving in this kind of weather (not that anyone can really have "experience" driving on ice). :(

The actual roads aren't terrible but overpasses are just pure ice.  There's a Marriott adjacent to the airport, she should just go there probably.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left early from the bar where I was having a drink an hour ago. Got on 311 and when I got to the bridge the truck in front of me slammed into the concrete guard side rail. I had a car beside me and was able to narrowly miss the truck sideways in my lane 50 feet ahead because the car slowed down and gave me some room to work with. Somehow I didn't lose control.If not for that my truck would no doubt be totalled. Driving is an awful awful idea right now.

-Jamestown, NC

Just got home come thru Greensboro I 40 and Winston-Salem 52 Bridges are a mess wrecks on every bridge seemed like. see 30 cars or more bang up tractor trailers  turned over etc....  29.6 with sprinkles! at the house.

Did you pass the tractor trailer wreck on 52 at Liberty street? It's now on fire. :o  All lanes in both directions are now closed in that area.

I think I've got as much, if not more, sleet accumulation than snow accumulation this year. This has truly been the year of the sleet storm in this area. I'm not sure I've seen this much sleet in the last 10 years as I've witnessed this winter. The 3/6 storm had a ton of it as did the 2/12 storm and I must be pushing 1/2" of sleet tonight.

Looks like I've ticked down to 28 degrees.

Temps rising here in the Triangle, though ice is still accumulating on the trees. Haven't measured, but I'd say a solid 1/10" or more. No power issues or trees bending that I can see. I'm also in far S Durham, so any issues we have here will be less than downtown or the northern burbs. Work already texted saying we're opening at 10 AM.

I think I've got as much, if not more, sleet accumulation than snow accumulation this year. This has truly been the year of the sleet storm in this area. I'm not sure I've seen this much sleet in the last 10 years as I've witnessed this winter. The 3/6 storm had a ton of it as did the 2/12 storm and I must be pushing 1/2" of sleet tonight.

Looks like I've ticked down to 28 degrees.

Due to 2/12/14, I got more sleet (>2") in Dunwoody (north of ATL) than in any storm since the great 1/1988 and 2/1979 ATL sleetstorms. What an incredible CAD winter! Some were complaining about the lack of it in recent winters. I'd say that this winter more than made up for that! CAD is king along with the Euro! ;)

Very thin coat of ice on the treetops and car. Surface temps finally got to freezing early this morning. Could hear a different sound in the 80' pines this morning with the wind gusts... must have been the glaze 'cracking'. Car top didn't freeze over until about 6:00. Yesterday's sprinkles and drizzles all added up to .53" in the gauge.

Archived