joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/18-3/19 Icy Event

JoshM

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone? Looking at the radar it looks like we might get some of this batch of precip, but we just missed out on the new WWA so I was wondering if it would go just north of here. Thoughts?

By looking at the animation of the radar loop, it looks like the southern end of the precip may clip the Hillborough area.  Looks to go just north of there.  However, it appeared in later frames of the HRRR and RAP models that the Triangle area will be in line for more precip around sundown.

Anyone? Looking at the radar it looks like we might get some of this batch of precip, but we just missed out on the new WWA so I was wondering if it would go just north of here. Thoughts?

You should see some. Really its just beginning. That blob currently moving through NC should get the Durham and Raleigh areas as well. Though they will be zr or sleet. Not much for snow I don't think. Then this after noon it fill across NC as the moisture over GA moves in. If the HRRR is right most of the snow/sleet will be confined to 85 north and west today and eventually overspread the area with the snow line trying to make it Raleigh this evening.

Time is patience I'm sure you will see sleet/snow/ice with this batch coming in and later this afternoon. Really there is about another 10-12 hour window of opportunity to see frozen precip today.

Updated discussion from NWS Raleigh:

.NEAR TERM /TODAY/...
AS OF 1140 AM MONDAY...

...HAVE EXTENDED THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY UNTIL 7 PM FOR
THE NORTHERN/NORTHWESTERN PIEDMONT...

...HAVE ALSO ADDED A SOUTHERN TIER OF COUNTIES TO THE ADVISORY AREA
TO INCLUDE DAVIDSON/RANDOLPH/ORANGE/DURHAM AND WARREN...

A SOLID BATCH OF PRECIP WILL MOVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN/NW PIEDMONT
THROUGH 20Z...WITH HEAVIER PRECIP RATE DRIVEN P-TYPE CHANGE FROM
FREEZING RAIN TO SNOW AND SLEET EXPECTED. WE COULD SEE SOME MINOR
ACCUMULATIONS OF A HALF INCH OR LESS OF SNOW ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE
ADVISORY AREA WITH THE STRONGER BANDS. SOME ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION
OF FREEZING RAIN CAN BE EXPECTED...GENERALLY LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN
INCH. PRECIP WILL LIKELY CHANGE BACK OVER TO LIGHT FREEZING
RAIN/FREEZING DRIZZLE AS PRECIP RATES BECOME LIGHTER.

GIVEN THE HEAVIER PRECIP MOVING INTO THE AREA...TEMPERATURES ACROSS
THE ADVISORY AREA WILL LIKELY HOLD STEADY FOR SEVERAL MORE HOURS...
REMAINING AT OR BELOW FREEZING THROUGH THE AFTERNOON.

Heavy sleet and a little snow. Schools need tomb let out immediately before it gets too bad.

It's already too bad. My mom slid off the road and said a car pulled out of a neighborhood and their car turned completely sideways. The school system should give parents the options to come get their kids themselves, but they would be foolish to put buses on those roads.

By looking at the animation of the radar loop, it looks like the southern end of the precip may clip the Hillborough area.  Looks to go just north of there.  However, it appeared in later frames of the HRRR and RAP models that the Triangle area will be in line for more precip around sundown.

Thanks for the good info!

Archived