Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Spring

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Weather Channel showing 6-10" more snow tonight here...no way that happens. Maybe half...

Who cares about numbers at this point, I feel like we got pretty clobbered here on the west side of Rochester.  I've never had drifts in my yard like this before or had sustained winds of this magnitude with heavy snow for this long. 

A+ Storm

Who cares about numbers at this point, I feel like we got pretty clobbered here on the west side of Rochester.  I've never had drifts in my yard like this before or had sustained winds of this magnitude with heavy snow for this long. 

A+ Storm

B+ here, as long as we're grading.

B+ here, as long as we're grading.

I'll reserve grading for a bit later....we have the deformation band to go through, some stout winds later, and the potential for a bit of fluff tomorrow morning off L. Ontario for a brief time...not to mention a bit of filling on that tail of our current snow back to the sw.

Remember also, backsides of systems like this, lower radar echoes will yield some surprisingly hefty rates (lower moisture content)

I'll reserve grading for a bit later....we have the deformation band to go through, some stout winds later, and the potential for a bit of fluff tomorrow morning off L. Ontario for a brief time...not to mention a bit of filling on that tail of our current snow back to the sw.

Remember also, backsides of systems like this, lower radar echoes will yield some surprisingly hefty rates (lower moisture content)

Agreed. The back-end of many of these types of storms yield impressive numbers in the ROC area.

Agreed. The back-end of many of these types of storms yield impressive numbers in the ROC area.

You'll be the beneficiaries of lake enhancement/effect for quite awhile.  These deform bands can do quite well...sometimes breaking apart a bit and just have small areas of moderate snow and quasi stall/train/stretch as a storm pulls away.

You'll be the beneficiaries of lake enhancement/effect for quite awhile.  These deform bands can do quite well...sometimes breaking apart a bit and just have small areas of moderate snow and quasi stall/train/stretch as a storm pulls away.

It seemed like the backend of the Feb 5th storm is when ROC really piled on the inches if I remember correctly.

I measured about 6.5 inches about 45 minutes ago so I should be around 7 inches now. Looks like we're about to get into the dry slot for a while followed by the deformation band. Would like to hit 10 inches we'll see how well the backside produces. Still snowing at least moderately here.

I measured about 6.5 inches about 45 minutes ago so I should be around 7 inches now. Looks like we're about to get into the dry slot for a while followed by the deformation band. Would like to hit 10 inches we'll see how well the backside produces. Still snowing at least moderately here.

Not sure that "dry slot" will be so dry...we have some redevelopment of the back edge...and as mentioned before, even lower returns will yield decent rates in the progressively colder air...better growth in the lower portion of the profile, thus some overshooting of the radars.

Case in point...ROC at 6pm was reporting HVY SN while BGM nor BUF radar had any returns of note over ROC.

Archived