Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few shots from my place. Not as good as PF or Eyewall but they give a good idea of the amount of snow we have.

The snow bank much taller than the Subaru Forester

post-363-0-38078600-1394748676_thumb.jpg

Somewhere in there are two snowmobiles.

post-363-0-68535300-1394748724_thumb.jpg

Quite a bit of snow on the front deck. Good thing its being replaced this spring.

post-363-0-40440200-1394748822_thumb.jpg

The groomer has already been out rolling the trail to pack it down before they bring out the drag.post-363-0-49500400-1394748904_thumb.jpg

Thank you and good pics all around! It is good to get a look at how it was around the state.  I always like stills better than video in snow events, because it gives a better representation of conditions I feel. None the less here is video as it was getting heavy last evening. Notice the guy in the second part gunning it up what I call "All Season Hill". If you have all seasons on when it snows, your chances of making it are somewhere around 50/50. Watch in HD to better make out the flakes.

Mitch must be getting decent upslope in W MA....PSF and DDH have been reporting 1/2 SN and even 1/4 SN+ at times.

We had upslope much of the the day, but it was a fine pixie dust that really didn't amount to much more than an inch or so even though it really reduced the visibility at times. As such, the ASOS obs are somewhat misleading and over done.

I've seen higher visibilities in meso bands as the flakes are large aggregates. These add up quickly, but don't reduce the visibility as much as the fine stuff that doesn't really add up.

Event totals: 15.6” Snow/1.54” L.E.

A final 0.6” fell today to finish off this storm.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.0

Snow Density: 8.3% H2O

Temperature: 11.3 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 23.0 inches

This storm edged out the mid-February storm by an inch or so to take the top position for this season.  It’s certainly helped in the seasonal snowfall department, bringing this location within 18 inches of average and moving it away from that -1 S.D. area where it’s been residing.

IMG_1524_edited-2.jpg

Nice shooting cracks.

This "avy" at MRG was all of maybe 12' wide and "ran" not much more than half that, but gotta love the 2' crown

mrgavy02.jpg

This was on the uphill side of a traverse on Sunnyside. There were no tracks into the slide so I figure it was triggered either by a passing groomer or a skier whose tracks through the woods came out maybe 20' to the left.

One more photo, 4 p.m. yesterday in bright sunshine - this has a LOT of snow in it. From the summit of Gen. Stark Mountain; 'dacks in the distance.

20140313_mrgpano.jpg

8 hr of fluff during the day added 1" atop the 12.5" reported at 7 AM yesterday.  Trees remained loaded despite yesterday's wind, and looked really pretty in the moonlight.  The 37" snowpack probably holds nearly 10" water - may try another core tomorrow after taking advantage of the tall pack and snowshoes for ladder-free pruning of the apple trees.

Here are a few shots from my place. Not as good as PF or Eyewall but they give a good idea of the amount of snow we have.

The snow bank much taller than the Subaru Forester

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Somewhere in there are two snowmobiles.

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

Quite a bit of snow on the front deck. Good thing its being replaced this spring.

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

The groomer has already been out rolling the trail to pack it down before they bring out the drag.attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

I get an itchy thumb looking at that last pic............... :)

Yeah, Once they set up, Those will be flat and fast, Did they pan them yesterday?

No, our club has a roller that we use to pack the trail to start the season and after big storms. They will hook the drag up tonight and give them a true grooming. Our drag is 9' wide and 16' long. We just bought a new one this year.

No, our club has a roller that we use to pack the trail to start the season and after big storms. They will hook the drag up tonight and give them a true grooming. Our drag is 9' wide and 16' long. We just bought a new one this year.

Here is one of ours, We have, 3 Jimmy's, 1 bombi, 1 imp, And 2 skandics

newblazer.jpg

Wow, you guys have a fleet! All we have is our trusty Tucker Cat. Our club has about 40 miles of trail to maintain. Her is a picture of the groomer and the old drag.

attachicon.gifGroomer.jpg

That is sweet, We groom over 80 miles of trails here, One of the guys in the club, Those tracks are his design and he builds all of the drags and sells them to most of the clubs up here

Posted here for a wider audience...

I was just looking over Albany's climate data and I noticed that the KALY office reported 4.8" of snow on Thursday the 13th with only 0.08" liquid equivalent.  Counting the .7" of snow on Wednesday, that makes for a storm total of 5.5."  Where I live closer to downtown Albany, I measured just over 2" 

Did anybody else in the area have a higher total like KALY?   I know the snow was powdery, but is there any way the L.E. is legit?  The data from that day looks suspicious to me.

Archived