Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually is somewhat...compared to earlier in the season. I think Scooter had like a 17" lead on ORH at one point, but now trails by like 5".

Though there was bound to be a yea rof closer totals after ORH had like 109" last year and BOS region had high 60s to low 70s...thats a pretty big gap, even for those two stations.

Yeah Feb was awesome for you. It was quite good here, but those storms gave you a leap.

I hope any systems stay south of SR next week...some of the clown range stuff was trying to cut a storm west on the weekend. That would suck.

That said, the mountain is going to be in mid-winter form next week.

Check out the pictures the mountains are posting on Facebook this morning. Epic spring skiing.

One of the more dissapointing endings to a season that I can recell, especially considering how much cold has been available...we've managed surpressions, and now a rainer.

Maddening ending.

The one that looked like a lock flew southward, but of course the rainer stayed pinned.

Yeah I hate to complain since our snowfall is above average out here but January was marginal at best and if we blank March I'll be grading B-.

It actually is somewhat...compared to earlier in the season. I think Scooter had like a 17" lead on ORH at one point, but now trails by like 5".

Though there was bound to be a yea rof closer totals after ORH had like 109" last year and BOS region had high 60s to low 70s...thats a pretty big gap, even for those two stations.

"Normal" weather is merely the average of lots of abnormal weather. Farmington (Maine) averages about 20" more snow than ORH, but in this century alone the gap has ranged from -48" (02-03) to +68" (07-08.)

Still moderate snow in AUG, though things are getting brighter and the back edge of this rotating patch of snow is approaching.

Today should come in at like -30. Though I wonder if cheap midnite highs will ruin that

They will. It will still be double digit negative departure though....but more like a -12 or something vs a -25.

I do 7a to 7a and if current reading hold and we get close to zero, I'll be about -24°F for 3/14.  Pretty incredible stuff but I had similar departures last week.

"Normal" weather is merely the average of lots of abnormal weather. Farmington (Maine) averages about 20" more snow than ORH, but in this century alone the gap has ranged from -48" (02-03) to +68" (07-08.)

Still moderate snow in AUG, though things are getting brighter and the back edge of this rotating patch of snow is approaching.

Yes, a lot of people forget that. Its important to look at trhe standard deviations too. An "average high" in the plains is different than an "average high" in Boston....the plains have a monster standard deviation so extreme daily departures are actually pretty normal there.

However, when comparing snow at stations like BOS/ORH, they have a very high covariance due to their proximity to one another (only 40-45 miles the way the crow flies)...so seeing high spreads between the two beyond the typical 25-30" is a bit harder to do.

1971-1972 had a 52" spread...last year was 44" and 2002-2003 was 46". 2000-2001 had a 56" spread which I believe is the largest on record but I would have to double check that. 2010-2011 only had an 11" spread. 1977-1978 had a 0.8" spread.

I do 7a to 7a and if current reading hold and we get close to zero, I'll be about -24°F for 3/14.  Pretty incredible stuff but I had similar departures last week.

Wow, really? Best we did last week was a -18.

Though maybe you had a radiational cooling night....your low temps must have a much higher standard dev than a place like ORH so it can be easier to get a high departure on those rad nights.

Stowe CoCoRAHS in the village showing 1.54" melted and 13.0" snow. I had 14.6", but also cleared the board twice. Dense snow but no lack of moisture.

Either way, another 1.5" of QPF falling as snow is a nice addition to the pack in town.

Euro QPF was spot on here.

That's exactly what the doctor ordered for some great spring skiing at least into early April. Esp with no major torches in sight. Hopefully we avoid any brief cutter-type storms.

That sharp gradient in S VT was something else...Killington got crushed, Okemo did pretty well, and Mt. Snow is locked down getting ice off all their chairs. :lol:

That's exactly what the doctor ordered for some great spring skiing at least into early April. Esp with no major torches in sight. Hopefully we avoid any brief cutter-type storms.

That sharp gradient in S VT was something else...Killington got crushed, Okemo did pretty well, and Mt. Snow is locked down getting ice off all their chairs. :lol:

SR will be great for you

Yeah I hate to complain since our snowfall is above average out here but January was marginal at best and if we blank March I'll be grading B-.

and we missed again today, how many years is the best stuff gonna be e and se of us.....i get orh to gardner up into s and sw nh doing better by 30 inches but se and e of orh jp everytime is getting to be like nyc metro

Though maybe you had a radiational cooling night....your low temps must have a much higher standard dev than a place like ORH so it can be easier to get a high departure on those rad nights.

Had -20 on both 3/4 and 3/6, thanks to minima of -18 and -21.  Today should come in about -13 (cheap high of 22) and GYX is predicting good rad tonight, so another -10 morning and a normal mean of 28 could result in flirting again with -20.  StanDev for lows is much higher than for highs in a microsite like mine.  Highs this month have spanned 26F (17 to 43) while lows range 46 (-21 to 25.)

I had a -23°F departure on 3/4.  High was 19 on the 3rd and the low was -4 on the morning of the 4th for a mean of 7.5.  My "normal" mean is 30.7° for the 4th.  I can't speak for the SD but by average diurnal range for March is 20.7°.

Been snowing lightly all day at MRG, occasionally toward the moderate end of light. Sun has been visible through the clouds all day and occasionally is bright enough to cast a decent shadow - gotta love low-level upslope. When I last checked the Froude number was only 0.25 so the west side of the Greens may be benefiting from it more than we are here, but ya know, I'm not complaining. 

Wind hold lifted quickly on the Single this a.m. and both chairs have been running without a problem. Some substantial winds but mostly at lower elevations, fanning out from the App Gap I presume. Little wind coming directly over the spine, presumably an indication of blocked flow. 

Archived