• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

Radarman and Ski Mrg Pete are headed up for first chair, hope the wind cooperates for you guys,should be fun.

Yeah, there are definitely some robust gusts out there this mornin', not sure if gap winds or what. . ... MRG homepage not saying anything about that yet aside from that they "plan to" spin the usual weekday 3 of 5 lifts and reporting wind out of the W at 11 at the base. I've got skins though and will earn my turns if necessary.

MRG says 20" so far. I can't find a yardstick in this house so am not going to try to measure myself ... I can say it's 0F on the window thermometer (0.9F at the base) and show the difference here in 24 hours:

Yesterday, 8:40 a.m.

wx0312_0840.jpg

Today, 7:30 a.m. (yes there is drifting involved)

wx0313_0730.jpg

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man! 1" total in Slingerlands. I must be like 1/2 mile too far west...missed the MHC band. Bummer!

MHC pretty much saved the storm here... KALB picked up 5" of snow in a 3 hour span (three of those inches in one hour). 

I should mention that its still snowing... not at heavy as earlier, but it looks like there is some reflectivity enhancement upstream.

According to radar, this band is dying. ...ground truth, it is absolutely dumping. Very tough to measure because of the wind, but I'd say .5" in the last 20 minutes.

Much of this snow is going to be forming below the radar beam, especially the farther you are from BOX (or BTV or GYX).

This deformation band is really producing

AFN to S+

KAFN 131205Z AUTO 34006G17KT 1/4SM +SN VV009 M12/M15 A2926 RMK AO2 P0001 T11171150

ORE also mdoerate

KORE 131205Z AUTO 32020G30KT 1/2SM SN VV019 M12/M16 A2934 RMK AO2 PK WND 31030/1158 P0000 T11171156

Based on intenstity and duration, I probably picked up about an 1" from the band that went through. Impossible to measure given the wind.  In fact, seeing the same bare spots after the band makes me wonder how much might have come down overnight.

Now down to a steady llght snow, decent flakes.

8.1/4

Based on intenstity and duration, I probably picked up about an 1" from the band that went through. Impossible to measure given the wind. In fact, seeing the same bare spots after the band makes me wonder how much might have come down overnight.

Now down to a steady llght snow, decent flakes.

8.1/4

That was a good band, huh? Pretty decent 45 minutes or so. Guess .75 to 1 new like you said, impossible to measure.

Archived