SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE's Revenge....We're back bi**ches! 3/12-13 discussion

mreaves

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat serious question here... when is there not a snow screw job at LSC?

Well we got screwed along with a lot of northern VT. 700mb never even closed off.

We over achieved on 2/13 and 12/15 actually. 11.6" and 9.5" respectively.

Dry air and sh*tty snow growth killed us. I was on the low end thinking 15-20". NWS had 18-24" in their grids.

Well we got screwed along with a lot of northern VT. 700mb never even closed off.

Dry air and sh*tty snow growth killed us. I was on the low end thinking 15-20". NWS had 18-24" in their grids.

The 700mb low is definitely closed off... it's broad though. 

I do see what you're saying but I think what wound up happening is that the models were too generous with the precip they were developing along that mid level warm front. We saw that here to the south and you guys saw it to the north. There was a pretty large area of good lift/moisture (but, for example, in S VT and S/C NH a lot of what fell was sleet or rain). No matter the model or the event the max area of QPF always winds up narrower with tighter gradients than modeled. For an area up north with bad snow growth and dry air it makes matters even worse. 

I do see what you're saying but I think what wound up happening is that the models were too generous with the precip they were developing along that mid level warm front. We saw that here to the south and you guys saw it to the north. There was a pretty large area of good lift/moisture (but, for example, in S VT and S/C NH a lot of what fell was sleet or rain). No matter the model or the event the max area of QPF always winds up narrower with tighter gradients than modeled. For an area up north with bad snow growth and dry air it makes matters even worse.

Yeah I hear you and agree. I was just using meso analysis to judge h7. But yeah even still, and don't call me a weenie, the RPM did a kick ass job in these parts.

850mb winds are east...isn't that a bad direction? I'd wait until winds back and that second batch of precip moves in. There was sort of a lull predicted....it wasn't all a continuous QPF bomb.

Can you see temps at the surface getting down to the freezing mark before the 850 isotherm moves east of us? TWC indicates that we have a couple hours of freezing rain and sleet and temps <32 before changing to snow.

I've got to say, the analysis on this forum by a number of knowledgeable people...mets and non-mets alike...is simply outstanding.  I'm not just talking about this storm, I'm speaking in broad and general terms over the time I've been reading this board...just awesome. 

With the quality of the posts on here and how the layman can read a good analytical post and literally spend an hour researching what is said, on many occasions at least for me, I'll bet a dedicated person could combine this board with said research and get close to passing meteorology courses with little else.

Can you see temps at the surface getting down to the freezing mark before the 850 isotherm moves east of us? TWC indicates that we have a couple hours of freezing rain and sleet and temps <32 before changing to snow.

Yes. It could be an hour or two of -FZRA or even FZDZ with some pellets.

I've got to say, the analysis on this forum by a number of knowledgeable people...mets and non-mets alike...is simply outstanding. I'm not just talking about this storm, I'm speaking in broad and general terms over the time I've been reading this board...just awesome.

With the quality of the posts on here and how the layman can read a good analytical post and literally spend an hour researching what is said, on many occasions at least for me, I'll bet a dedicated person could combine this board with said research and get close to passing meteorology courses with little else.

That's what it is all about. We joke and clown a bit, but the discussion is second to none. I still continue to learn stuff from various posts from met's with strengths in certain subjects.

Well said and something that every weenie should remember for future events.  Certainly a good rule to keep expectations in check.

As far as r/s  I really empathize with some of the NNE posters.  Even as late as Monday I would have never thought that NNE posters would be concerned with p-type issues. Bummer but live and learn I guess.

Lol I think I see 13"+ at LSC?

Archived