Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 11-12th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked at the WWA...It says Owosso to Sandusky line.

Odd...  it does indeed say OWES under the "SANILAC-GENESEE-LAPEER-LIVINGSTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANDUSKY...FLINT...LAPEER...HOWELL" section, and says OWOSSO under the next section for Saginaw-Tuscola-Shiawassee counties.

18z NAM and GFS are clearly too far south with the sfc low. Both had a barely 996mb low on the OK/KS line at 21z while mesoanalysis shows the low safely in east central KS.

edit: arguably SE KS but it's well north of the state line. Considering both models are showing such a tight gradient on the northern edge this could come into play for a lot of us.

yup! GFS is little weaker compared to current obs. At hour 24 on the 12z euro, the low is on the IN/OH border just north of KY. That would mean with the current position of the low, that it would move almost due east, a little north. I think a track even a little north of the euro is very possible. I still can't wrap my ideas around that low down in the gulf. Keep thinking well maybe it steals some of our moisture, or maybe it helps feed moisture into our storm, or maybe it gets pulled into our storm. Or does the Kansas low get pulled more north by the cold front in N MI. Feels like a little battle going on with interaction. Hopefully it ends up well for us...

Odd...  it does indeed say OWES under the "SANILAC-GENESEE-LAPEER-LIVINGSTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANDUSKY...FLINT...LAPEER...HOWELL" section, and says OWOSSO under the next section for Saginaw-Tuscola-Shiawassee counties.

Seems to be amateur hour over at dtx today. I clicked on their PDF guide for this storm and they had slides from the February 1st storm instead

Probably just a typo. I think they meant Owosso for both of them anyway.

18z NAM and GFS are clearly too far south with the sfc low. Both had a barely 996mb low on the OK/KS line at 21z while mesoanalysis shows the low safely in east central KS.

edit: arguably SE KS but it's well north of the state line. Considering both models are showing such a tight gradient on the northern edge this could come into play for a lot of us.

RAP also having the same problem. Here's the sfc low position at 22z, right along the OK/KS border. I know its not much, but it's worth noting for those of us on the fringe. Also seems to be moving the SLP centre in a SE direction which hasn't been occurring over the last 6hr's via SPC meso analysis(been more ENE movement).

post-7879-0-42887700-1394578240_thumb.gi

yup! GFS is little weaker compared to current obs. At hour 24 on the 12z euro, the low is on the IN/OH border just north of KY. That would mean with the current position of the low, that it would move almost due east, a little north. I think a track even a little north of the euro is very possible. I still can't wrap my ideas around that low down in the gulf. Keep thinking well maybe it steals some of our moisture, or maybe it helps feed moisture into our storm, or maybe it gets pulled into our storm. Or does the Kansas low get pulled more north by the cold front in N MI. Feels like a little battle going on with interaction. Hopefully it ends up well for us...

I agree with this thinking, a track similar to the Euro maybe a hair north might be correct. Of all the models the Euro is handling the track well at this junction even compared to the 18z model runs.

Going to have to correct my original post.  I found a case from March 2008 where we had a high of 60 on the 3rd and about 5" of snow on the 4th.  LAF airport doesn't have snow measurements for these years so I'm having to use other sources to verify.

Have gone back to 1980 and found another case...March 9, 1992 had a high of 64 and March 10, 1992 had 3.6" of snow at the airport.

So apparently there's only been 2 occurrences in 34 years of highs in the 60s and at least 3" of snow the following day here.  We might be on the verge of doing something pretty unusual.

KBUF debated on Blizzard Warnings. Two blizzard warnings in a span of 2 months after not having one since 93 would be incredible. The only Blizzard Warnings I can remember were in 77, 85, 93 (Don't think conditions were met, not sure though), 2014.

THE WORST CONDITIONS
OF ALL WILL LIKELY BE ALONG THE NIAGARA-OSWEGO COUNTY CORRIDOR WHERE
THE WINDS WILL BE ENHANCED FURTHER BY LAKE ONTARIO...AND COULD WELL
REACH 25-35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AS HIGH AS 45 MPH...WHICH IF REALIZED
WOULD RESULT IN NEAR-TO-OUTRIGHT BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN THIS STRIP
OF COUNTIES...INCLUDING THE GREATER ROCHESTER AREA. GIVEN THIS
POTENTIAL...WE TOYED WITH UPGRADING THESE COUNTIES TO A BLIZZARD
WARNING THIS AFTERNOON...BUT ELECTED TO HOLD OFF ON THIS FOR NOW
GIVEN THE SLIGHT SOUTHWARD SHIFT SEEN IN THE 12Z GUIDANCE...WHICH IF
IT WERE TO CONTINUE WOULD RESULT IN LOWER WIND SPEEDS AND A
SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER THREAT FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THIS STATED...
SUBSEQUENT SHIFTS WILL NEED TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS POTENTIAL...
AS AN UPGRADE MAY STILL EVENTUALLY BECOME NECESSARY DEPENDENT UPON
FURTHER POSSIBLE SHIFTS IN THE STORM TRACK...HOWEVER SLIGHT THESE
MAY BE. STAY TUNED!

Archived