• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

YYZ model summary below. Feeling pretty good with a 7-10" call. Thinking the RGEM is too dry at this point. Ratio's also look to stay around 13-15:1 once the winds shift to the NNE so ~0.4-0.6" of QPF can go pretty far in this setup.

18z NAM: 7-10"

12z GFS: 7.5" on 0.51" of liquid(15:1 ratios)

12z euro: ~0.6" of QPF

15z SREF mean: 14.7"

12z RGEM: 0.3-0.4" of QPF

12z UKMET: ~0.5" of QPF

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to have had models like today for the Chicago blizzard of 67.  As I recall it was warm a day or two before and then the bottom dropped out.  Don't have specifics, but when it is this warm at St. Louis with a good baroclinic zone setting up northwards, explosive things can happen.

YYZ model summary below. Feeling pretty good with a 7-10" call. Thinking the RGEM is too dry at this point. Ratio's also look to stay around 13-15:1 once the winds shift to the NNE so ~0.4-0.6" of QPF can go pretty far in this setup.

18z NAM: 7-10"

12z GFS: 7.5" on 0.51" of liquid(15:1 ratios)

12z euro: ~0.6" of QPF

15z SREF mean: 14.7"

12z RGEM: 0.3-0.4" of QPF

12z UKMET: ~0.5" of QPF

I'll lock in my final call after perusing some of the 0z suite but I think my current 5-9" call is likely to be unchanged.

Would love to have had models like today for the Chicago blizzard of 67.  As I recall it was warm a day or two before and then the bottom dropped out.  Don't have specifics, but when it is this warm at St. Louis with a good baroclinic zone setting up northwards, explosive things can happen.

Chicago had a high of 65 on the 24th and 54 on the 25th (day before the snowstorm). 

LOL... Watch cancel for Genesee co... that's gotta hurt! I call 2-3" IMBY with three foot drifts! If we get more than that, I'm building a giant flamethrower!

Edit to add... a snippet from DTX WWA text:

* LIGHT RAIN WILL TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW BETWEEN 10 PM AND 1 AM   TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY AFTERNOON ON   WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW MAY BECOME BRIEFLY HEAVY AT TIMES WEDNESDAY   MORNING... ESPECIALLY FOR AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF A OWES TO   SANDUSKY LINE.

Where is OWES exactly?

18z NAM and GFS are clearly too far south with the sfc low. Both had a barely 996mb low on the OK/KS line at 21z while mesoanalysis shows the low safely in east central KS.

edit: arguably SE KS but it's well north of the state line. Considering both models are showing such a tight gradient on the northern edge this could come into play for a lot of us.

LOL... Watch cancel for Genesee co... that's gotta hurt! I call 2-3" IMBY with three foot drifts! If we get more than that, I'm building a giant flamethrower!

Edit to add... a snippet from DTX WWA text:

* LIGHT RAIN WILL TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW BETWEEN 10 PM AND 1 AM

TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY AFTERNOON ON

WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW MAY BECOME BRIEFLY HEAVY AT TIMES WEDNESDAY

MORNING... ESPECIALLY FOR AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF A OWES TO

SANDUSKY LINE.

Where is OWES exactly?

I just looked at the WWA...It says Owosso to Sandusky line.

Archived