SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What am I missing with this possible event if anything.

Euro not much, GFS nothing, GGEM has a storm.

Discussing a threat is understood.

Make me understand why there will be a big snow storm.

Because it wouldn't take much for the EURO for example to show a much bigger storm with leaving less energy out west. The overall setup is there. 

What am I missing with this possible event if anything.

Euro not much, GFS nothing, GGEM has a storm.

Discussing a threat is understood.

Make me understand why there will be a big snow storm.

Euro ensemble mean and Canadian ensemble mean both have a significant snowstorm for us.  They are also #1 and #2 in terms of accuracy at day 5.  Number 3 in terms of accuracy at day 5 in the JMA and it also has a significant snowstorm.  The Euro and JMA are also highest in terms of accuracy at day 8 and they also have a snowstorm for us on Wednesday (day 8).  How did I do?

Because it wouldn't take much for the EURO for example to show a much bigger storm with leaving less energy out west. The overall setup is there. 

Euro ensemble mean and Canadian ensemble mean both have a significant snowstorm for us.  They are also #1 and #2 in terms of accuracy at day 5.  Number 3 in terms of accuracy at day 5 in the JMA and it also has a significant snowstorm.  The Euro and JMA are also highest in terms of accuracy at day 8 and they also have a snowstorm for us on Wednesday (day 8).  How did I do?

Thank you for the post.

I will raise the alert flag at my house

Euro ensemble mean and Canadian ensemble mean both have a significant snowstorm for us. They are also #1 and #2 in terms of accuracy at day 5. Number 3 in terms of accuracy at day 5 in the JMA and it also has a significant snowstorm. The Euro and JMA are also highest in terms of accuracy at day 8 and they also have a snowstorm for us on Wednesday (day 8). How did I do?

Now we are talking some stats ! Thats great info and have never seen anything like it posted before. Great Job!

Guest Pamela

One thing about 1234abc...the guy is very familiar with all the models and their tendencies & built-in biases...I remember him being the 1st to note the possibility for that November 2012 snowstorm, IIRC...and maybe that October one in 2011.

Latest SREF looks good. Definitely more towards GGEM/Euro camp. I'm really thinking the GFS is lacking here due to its lower resolution. The upper level flow is funneling right down through the Rockies. Perhaps the GFS is having trouble resolving this very energetic flow through very complex topography? 

If anyone knows more about this, or feels similarly, please chime in...

One thing about 1234abc...the guy is very familiar with all the models and their tendencies & built-in biases...I remember him being the 1st to note the possibility for that November 2012 snowstorm, IIRC...and maybe that October one in 2011.

Thanks for the kind words.  They obviously don't all work out but I was quite surprised when CNBC called me to appear on National television when I forecast the blizzard that hit Long Island last year before anyone else.  They told me that CNBC's executive producer was following me.  For whatever it is worth. Thanks again. 

Latest SREF looks good. Definitely more towards GGEM/Euro camp. I'm really thinking the GFS is lacking here due to its lower resolution. The upper level flow is funneling right down through the Rockies. Perhaps the GFS is having trouble resolving this very energetic flow through very complex topography? 

If anyone knows more about this, or feels similarly, please chime in...

GFS is 5th in terms of accuracy in this range, ahead of only the NOGAPS.  It is pretty worthless MOST of the time in this range. 

I used to look at the long range NAM as if it could MAYBE produce a viable solution. No longer shall I do that. It jumps WILDLY from run to run and has moved areas of low pressure literally hundreds of miles from one run to the next (as in 300-500), whereas other models might trend to a solution over time

Sent from my iPhone

Archived