Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 39°..

SULLIVAN-SUSQUEHANNA-NORTHERN WAYNE-WYOMING-LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-

PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTICELLO...MONTROSE...TUNKHANNOCK...

SCRANTON...WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...MILFORD...HONESDALE

229 PM EDT SUN MAR 30 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EDT MONDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND SULLIVAN COUNTY NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...WINTRY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET. A FEW

HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...THROUGH TONIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

It should be interesting to see if anything falls here in the extreme western part of the county. Temp 40f

You foresee us getting into any of that?

The RAP shows that band dissipating promptly, with a new swath forming just to our east that produces upwards of 1" liquid equivalent in Litchfield... the NAM and 4km NAM show precip making it westward to the river. I do think we'll see some precip but temps are marginal throughout the column, so unless we get into a heavier band, drizzle to sleet seems like the likely result. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see some slush though.

34.5F

37f here- not sure how much rain we've gotten over this weekend but it's been a lot.

Very heavy at times - funny thing is that patches of snow are holding out pretty strong. Most is gone but it just shows you how rock solid the snowpack had become.

Would be cool to see a few flakes but I'm not holding out much hope of that.

Pretty amazing that we haven't seen snow in about 5 weeks or so in spite of all the cold.

I'm ready for baseball and softball though!

Hope everyone is well.

Hah, well, just as I suspected, there were surprises last night... just not in our backyards. :( Several 3-5" reports on LI and in interior CT. Traffic through Hartford is apparently disastrous.

I was fully expecting someone to get some snow out of this, especially looking at the hi-res models last night and after the surprise in Central NY late yesterday (though certainly not to the extent that it occurred!).  Congrats to the LI crew.

I am really looking forward to the first warm day (70+) and getting out on my road bike.  I don't mind being out in the cold, but on a bike, especially with all the wind we've had lately, it's just not fun.

Where did you find the monthly data for KMGJ?  I haven't been able to find that before on Uptons site.

http://climodtest.nrcc.cornell.edu/

"Product selection" --> "monthly summarized data"

"Options selection" --> "variable" --> "avg temp"

The rest is easy to figure out. :) When you get to the data table, you can sort each month numerically by clicking on the month name in the top row.

http://climodtest.nrcc.cornell.edu/

"Product selection" --> "monthly summarized data"

"Options selection" --> "variable" --> "avg temp"

The rest is easy to figure out. :) When you get to the data table, you can sort each month numerically by clicking on the month name in the top row.

Nice, I had not found this before, thanks!

I finally got around to compiling my data for the 13-14 winter season, here are a few numbers for those interested from my backyard:

Seasonal Snowfall: 69.6 which is 26.3 above average.

Lowest temp: -13

Number of days below 32: 37

Number of below zero lows: 11

Monthly Temp Departures:

Nov: -2.1

Dec: -.4

Jan: -2.6

Feb: -4.2

Mar: -5.4

I finally got around to compiling my data for the 13-14 winter season, here are a few numbers for those interested from my backyard:

Seasonal Snowfall: 69.6 which is 26.3 above average.

Lowest temp: -13

Number of days below 32: 37

Number of below zero lows: 11

Monthly Temp Departures:

Nov: -2.1

Dec: -.4

Jan: -2.6

Feb: -4.2

Mar: -5.4

Impressive cold this winter..  

Considering location & elevation our snowfall stats match up pretty well. 75.7" for the yr here.

Last remnants of ice melting from my yard this afternoon. February 3 – April 10 is quite the continuous run for a non-commercial snow pile, especially considering that I didn't have a <1" event after Feb 15th. 

Yeah it was a good year for snowpack...if only we got a couple of storms after mid Feb....the snowpack could have been epic for these parts.

Just a gorgeous day out there. Opening day for little league, got in a 30 mile bike ride, now enjoying a Belgian (beer) on the deck with my man Bob Marley supplying the tunes. Days like these are why April and May are amongst my favorite months. Not looking forward to the cool down next week.

Just a gorgeous day out there. Opening day for little league, got in a 30 mile bike ride, now enjoying a Belgian (beer) on the deck with my man Bob Marley supplying the tunes. Days like these are why April and May are amongst my favorite months. Not looking forward to the cool down next week.

Thinking of going back to Jamaica soon to get real with Bob. Square deal tonight with airfare at apple vacation for two is 2700 with air 6 nights

Archived