Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Pittsburgh/ Western PA Part III

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get anything in Farmington, PA....just some sprinkles early sunday AM....I was surprised!...anyone know when the winter forecasts will be coming out?

Accuweather has this: (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-2014-2015-winter-forecast/35422753)

post-328-0-98219400-1413833973_thumb.jpg

Given the prospects for -AO and possible weak nino we should have the ingredients for some decent events, now whether they come together or not is anyone's guess.

Wonder what the locals will put, they should be coming out soon I would think.

T0Lbo4s.gif

SPC AC 260726   DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0226 AM CDT SUN OCT 26 2014   VALID 281200Z - 291200Z   ...THERE IS A MRGL RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE LOWER GREAT LAKES TO   KY...   ...SUMMARY...   STRONG TO LOCALLY SEVERE STORMS WITH A PRIMARY HAZARD OF DAMAGING   WINDS WILL BE POSSIBLE TUESDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING FROM THE LOWER   GREAT LAKES TO KENTUCKY.   ...SYNOPSIS...   A PROGRESSIVE YET AMPLIFYING MID-LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST   SHOULD REACH THE ONTARIO/QUEBEC BORDER AREA BY 12Z/WED. ATTENDANT   SURFACE CYCLONE OVER THE UPPER GREAT LAKES WILL MOVE QUICKLY N/NE   TOWARDS JAMES BAY. COLD FRONT WILL PUSH E/SE ACROSS THE LOWER GREAT   LAKES TO TN VALLEY...WITH TRAILING PORTION SINKING S IN TX.    ...LOWER GREAT LAKES TO KY...   DESPITE POLEWARD LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE ADVECTION AHEAD OF THE   FRONT...MEAN MIXING RATIOS SHOULD REMAIN MODEST AND IN CONJUNCTION   WITH PERVASIVE MOIST-ADIABATIC MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES...BUOYANCY WILL   REMAIN MEAGER. NEVERTHELESS...WRF-BASED GUIDANCE SUGGESTS   TEMPERATURES SHOULD WARM INTO THE 70S DOWNSTREAM OF MORNING FRONTAL   CONVECTION. THIS STEEPENING OF LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES OCCURRING   AMIDST STRONG TO INTENSE MID/UPPER-LEVEL FLOW WOULD LIKELY YIELD   STORMS INTENSIFYING DURING THE AFTERNOON WITH A RISK FOR AT LEAST   ISOLATED DAMAGING WINDS. STILL...WITH THE MID-LEVEL TROUGH SHIFTING   AWAY FROM THE CONUS...ORIENTATION OF DEEP-LAYER FLOW WILL LARGELY   PARALLEL THE FRONT AND LOW-LEVEL WINDS SHOULD DIMINISH /ESPECIALLY   WITH SWRN EXTENT/. THESE FACTORS ALONG WITH THE ANTICIPATED SCANT   BUOYANCY WILL PRECLUDE HIGHER SEVERE PROBABILITIES THIS OUTLOOK.   ..GRAMS.. 10/26/2014

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

MODEL CONSENSUS IS STILL ON TRACK FOR A QUICK MOVING CLIPPER
SYSTEM DROPPING FROM CENTRAL CANADA THROUGH THE WESTERN GREAT
LAKES AND ACROSS WESTERN AND CENTRAL PA LATE FRIDAY. THIS WILL
DELIVER A POTENT SHOT OF COLD AIR FOR FRIDAY NIGHT AND
SATURDAY...AND PERHAPS THE FIRST MEASURABLE SNOWFALL FOR PORTIONS
OF CENTRAL AND WESTERN PA
. CERTAINLY SOME STRENGTH AND TIMING
ISSUES NEED TO BE RESOLVED WITH THE SUCCESSIVE SHORTWAVES
. HOWEVER
THE LATEST EC AND THE GFS SUGGESTS THE BEST CHANCE OF PRECIP WILL
BE LATE FRIDAY THRU EARLY SATURDAY. THE NEXT QUESTION IS WILL THE
PRECIPITATION BE RAIN OR SNOW. IT CURRENTLY LOOKS TO BE A MIX OF
BOTH.
THE COLDER AIR ON THE BACKSIDE WILL LIKELY CHANGE THE SHRA
TO A PERIOD OF SNOW SHOWERS LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY WEST
AND NORTH...FOLLOWED BY BLUSTERY AND MUCH COLDER CONDITIONS

SATURDAY WITH LAKE EFFECT FLURRIES AND SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE OVR
THE NW MTNS. LATEST 850 MB TEMPERATURES HAVE WARMED A BIT TO -4C
TO -8C. SO DEPENDING IF THE WARMING TREND CONTINUES THAT SHOULD
DETERMINE HOW MUCH...IF ANY...SNOW FALLS
DURING THIS PERIOD. THE
EC AND GFS DIVERGE LATE THIS COMING WEEKEND...WITH THE GFS TAKING
THE UPPER LEVEL LOW FURTHER INTO THE ATLANTIC BEFORE MOVING IT
NORTH...WHERE THE EC DRAGS THE LOW ALONG THE COAST. GIVEN THE
CLEAR SKIES...HOWEVER SUNDAY NIGHT SHOULD BE COLD.
EITHER
WAY...DRY AIR WILL FILTER IN EARLY NEXT WEEK...BRINGING A WARMING
TREND WITH FAIR WEATHER.

Well, the 12z gfs sure is interesting. Just not sure on surface temps.

Looks like 3-5 for WPa.  Wont allow me to link map.

The 12z GFS-T574 27km hi-res snow accumulations. Think this is too high in western NC piedmont http://models.americanwx.com  pic.twitter.com/0SEbKSTnXI

Yea I don't put much stock in any of these forecasts.

Last year Jeff was way off on everything, he had December being warmer than average and only 38" of total snow. We had 63..

Yeah I know it is just interesting see what our mets think even though they are wrong a lot. I remember Jeff said I could be in a light jacket in Jan. We all know what happened.

Do any of you guys recommend a great radar/weather app for android? I debated buying one last year but couldn't decide which one....there are some out there for $9.99 and I'd pay that...but wanted some feedback first. Let me know your thoughts-thanks!!....getting ready for busts and near hits again.... ;)

Radarscope is 9.99, I think it's well worth it. It has every reflectivity and velocity product you'd ever need plus the Dual Polarization products. And it even has Canadian radars. Correlation Coefficient and Hydrometeor Classification are both very useful for precipitation type during winter.

Radarscope is 9.99, I think it's well worth it. It has every reflectivity and velocity product you'd ever need plus the Dual Polarization products. And it even has Canadian radars. Correlation Coefficient and Hydrometeor Classification are both very useful for precipitation type during winter.

Agree 100%. Well worth the $9.99 a year. 

Winds are howling outside my house and temp is down to 35.

Can't believe it is November 1st.

Is it 9.99/year? I thought it was a 9.99 one time purchase on iPhone.

$9.99 is one time for the basic version and the annual $9.99 is for the pro version, the RadarScope Pro subscription is an optional add-on data set and provides access to real lightning data that animates along with the radar loop and up to 20 frames of radar data, including *extended loops* of "Super Res" Level 2 data. Super Res Level 2 data is still available to all RadarScope users without purchasing a subscription.

Archived