SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11-12th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope all will indulge me in some straw grasping...

There might be a small convective feedback issue with the GFS at 36 over srn Indiana.

Better wait for better sampling.

21z RAP not backing down. Even stronger 12hrs in down to 994mb compared to 996mb on the 18z run.

You going to stay up all night to watch every run of the RAP?

On another note, a beautiful day outside today. Snowpack is just barely hanging on, so this storm couldn't be happening at a better time to help preserve the snowpack. Since it should be somewhat heavier and wetter than most snows this year and with such cold followed immediately behind it, this could keep the streak alive well past the current record at DTW.

On another note, a beautiful day outside today. Snowpack is just barely hanging on, so this storm couldn't be happening at a better time to help preserve the snowpack. Since it should be somewhat heavier and wetter than most snows this year and with such cold followed immediately behind it, this could keep the streak alive well past the current record at DTW.

How's your snowpack doing down by detroit? I just measured mine up here, 11" for official measurement, 9" in the most sunny wind exposed area, and 13" in the shadiest least wind exposed area here... so 11" is my official reading.

How's your snowpack doing down by detroit? I just measured mine up here, 11" for official measurement, 9" in the most sunny wind exposed area, and 13" in the shadiest least wind exposed area here... so 11" is my official reading.

I'm in a more urban environment but about 5" in my neighborhood. I'm assuming DTW is more around 7" or 8" after today.

Since conditions may flirt with criteria, was looking back at product archives for LOT and IWX and can't find any blizzard warnings in the month of March.  Archive doesn't go back very far though.  I read a blizzard climo paper a while back and I believe January was the most climatologically favorable month for most of the region.   

One would've been justified on 3/9/1998 but that storm was so poorly forecasted and I can't recall if or when any headlines were issued.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVNEAST_18z/avneastloop.html

If you loop it you can see the sfc low takes this inexplicable jog to the south after 36 before turning NE again. Might be something to watch out for.

Yeah it basically stalled or drifted south for 6 hours while strengthening, that looks a bit goofy. The 12z definitely didn't do that.

Since conditions may flirt with criteria, was looking back at product archives for LOT and IWX and can't find any blizzard warnings in the month of March.  Archive doesn't go back very far though.  I read a blizzard climo paper a while back and I believe January was the most climatologically favorable month for most of the region.   

One would've been justified on 3/9/1998 but that storm was so poorly forecasted and I can't recall if or when any headlines were issued.

Not those CWAs, but I know there was a Blizzard Warning for parts of OH with the March 2008 storm.

Does anybody think FNT could break the all-time snow record with this one? Only 5.7 inches is needed. I think that we will probably be a bit too far north for that much, but we should be able to get a few inches.

Certainly within range, I would probably say no but it won't miss the record by much.

Does anybody think FNT could break the all-time snow record with this one? Only 5.7 inches is needed. I think that we will probably be a bit too far north for that much, but we should be able to get a few inches.

If you were to blend the NAM/GFS/GEM/EURO together I think FNT has a really good shot at 5" maybe up to 8" I think they might just jackpot this one.

Certainly within range, I would probably say no but it won't miss the record by much.

Yeah, if we can get close with this storm, chances are high the record would be broken. But of course, you never know.

If you were to blend the NAM/GFS/GEM/EURO together I think FNT has a really good shot at 5" maybe up to 8" I think they might just jackpot this one.

I don't think FNT's going to "jackpot" this one. Probably too far north for that....Unless the NAM could be right for once...

Archived