• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/3 Winter Storm Obs

sctvman

Snow and sleet finishing up here in Clayton, whipping in sheets in the streetlights. Any elevated surfaces are completely covered, as are any bricks or concrete pads. Lawn is all melting, though, with soil temps still in the low 40's. They were up to 50 yesterday. Air temp is down to 28.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big sleet here pea size even....wind howling ice coating everything and radar looks good to my WSW so maybe a few more hrs of this really wanna see some snow though.

Jeeze.

Considering the convective nature of the precip there wonder if its actually grapual or hail. Something that big Im sure it made alot of noise hitting your house.

It's absolutely pouring wind! Gusts to 40+. Temp 38.5

NWS, GSP issued a WWA for Cigarette Smokers.

"The NWS advises that smokers take precautions when exiting protected areas

for the purpose of 'smoke breaks'.  Be prepared for breakaway ashes that may

temporarily blind, or otherwise adversely affect, yourself or wildlife nearby. 

This is just an Advisory.  Should this become a Warning - Thumping any lit materials

may result in the obliteration of small towns and participants in some weather forums.

Stayed tuned for further updates as confidence remains low based on current model

deviations."

Congrats to everyone that got to watch the flakes fly and enjoyed the pinging of sleet ^_^

Did you atleast witness the frontal passage down your way? That almost needed its own thread! It was amazing up here! I was driving down the road, the clouds were crazy, winds gusting to 40 +! Temp dropped 12 degrees in 5 min on car thermometer !

I never thought I would be posting in this thread but I actually had a pretty good glaze from freezing drizzle on elevated surfaces last night.  My deck was slick as hell and I couldn't get into my truck.  I then proceeded to break my scraper trying to get the ice off of my windshield.

People do NOT need to be out driving if they aren't experienced. The secondary roads I had to travel were a solid sheet of ice. The highway appeared "slushy, but of course there were icy patches. A car spun around in front of Baptist hospital because they slammed their brakes before coming up onto a bridge. Stupid! I have never seen so many people constantly tapping their brakes. Honestly, that infuriates me more than the ones that drive too fast. 

Anyways, roads that have not been treated are basically a skating rink.

GSO's final measurement was 1.2" from this storm. I live but 3-4 miles to the east of the airport and I couldn't have received more than a half-inch. Bah. Killer gradient.

Just from my sisters pics from Roxboro, it looked like a solid 1 1/2 -2 inches on her porch rails. She doesn't care about weather, so I wasn't going to ask her to measure. But they get about 10 events to my 1, so I always ask for pictures!! # WEENIE

Archived