• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7-8th Potential Coastal Storm Discussion

REDMK6GLI

We've seen models agree far out only to collapse as we get closer so that's what I think will happen again. the PNA is in a favorable state but it's very difficult to get something this late.

It's not difficult to het coastal storms in March. We have ample cold air this side of the globe, and specially, this side of Canada with the PV just sitting there.

Getting "something is not the issue" it's is getting the timing right. Models are pointing to a phased solution, and with the PV sitting North of us, the flow is pretty fast. Just something to keep an eye on. Whether or not its snow or rain if its close enough remains to be seen.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't keep a rain gauge over here...and you probably make a fair statement about the fact that genuine severe weather not being that common in the area (i.e. large hail, damaging winds, & tornadoes)...but I can definitely say that there is a considerable amount of moderate thunderstorm & thundershower activity in the Port Jefferson area during the summertime...so much so that the only genuine drought around here in the last 20 years was during the Summer of 2005...broken by the astonishing rains of October 2005...locally over 20 inches worth.   Moreover, my sprinkler system went out in 2007 and I haven't been able to get it running since...but it hasn't mattered one bit because there has been so much summertime thunderstorm activity around here the last 6 years no irrigation has been needed. 

I measured 20 inches that October week, by far the most rain I have seen here in the timeframe and I have lived here since 1960. You are right ,we never see a drought that lasts more than a few months

0Z EURO has 3/13-14 snows back over our area. It develops mostly from southerly stream moisture. The CMC has just light precip. from northerly stream and no phasing. GFS a little of each I think. Cold enough on all models for all snow I think.

Archived