joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people could post obs stating how awesome whatever snow is falling is instead of how crappy the snow is and look at the back edge or no way we get to this amount. So many negative nellies on here....enjoy the damn snow...it's all you got!! Who cares who has more or when it ends or how the models missed...really...stop projecting your misery...this is not directed at any one individual...it's a general statement about many.

Oh and Ji...it's really pretty in your front yard...very picturesque

Amen.

I wish people could post obs stating how awesome whatever snow is falling is instead of how crappy the snow is and look at the back edge or no way we get to this amount. So many negative nellies on here....enjoy the damn snow...it's all you got!! Who cares who has more or when it ends or how the models missed...really...stop projecting your misery...this is not directed at any one individual...it's a general statement about many.

Yeah, kind of ironic how winter storm Ji has a real bite to it. 

Navy Yard update (SE DC) --- moderate/heavy rates continue --- been like this since 7am really.

2am-4am: Sleet (about .15/.25 of an inch)

4am-7am: 1.5 inches

7am-8:30am: 1.25 inches

Total, as of 8:30am: 2.75 inches (and a small layer of ice under the snow due to the sleet)

Probably over 3 inches now... will measure again around 10am.

Dendrites are trying to improve here in Ashburn yet still not seeing the type of accumulations was hoping for. Had this concern yesterday with such a cold airmass and where the best lift was going to occur. Flakes out here have been tiny with pellets and cylinders mixed in.

**Time Sensitive**

What is that phenomena on the Sterling radar at the Frederick / Montgomery County line.  Looks like a north/south ribbon of intense snow.

i'm not sure -- but in urbana here it went from nothing to 1/8 mile viz in a split second 

I just thought potentially in a set-up like today, maybe it wouldnt happen..But I guess you cant defy the laws well past the fall line. Yes, nice event for March...But part of me was hoping for a little more. Teens and snow is cool but not as cool if its not ripping.

Well this is what we're getting. Maybe send mamma nature a complaint letter if you feel it's necessary?

I'm more than happy with this. Powdery bliss isn't common in March, especially nowadays.

**Time Sensitive**

What is that phenomena on the Sterling radar at the Frederick / Montgomery County line.  Looks like a north/south ribbon of intense snow.

I'm in north Moco about 3 mi from the Fred. line. Rates have ticked up to moderate here with an occasional big flake mixed in

**Time Sensitive**

could be gravity wave related -- seeing a lot of drying in the wake of the wave so that'd be my guess.

The models didn't really miss... it's just people tend to focus on the ones that give them the most snow.

As for me, 3" or 4" is completely meh, about as interesting as a light rain shower. We have very few opportunities for decent snow events around here, so it's unfortunate when they don't pan out.

Not really accumulating here at the moment, a little more than 2".

Dendrites are trying to improve here in Ashburn yet still not seeing the type of accumulations was hoping for. Had this concern yesterday with such a cold airmass and where the best lift was going to occur. Flakes out here have been tiny with pellets and cylinders mixed in.

It is a cold airmass at the surface, but it isn't aloft. Not great snow growth conditions, but at least it isn't melting on contact.

So what's your ob?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42628-cold-and-snow-lovers-only/

i'm not sure -- but in urbana here it went from nothing to 1/8 mile viz in a split second 

Whatever is with the bands, we had several near zero visibility reports in Poolesville over the past 30 min.  Really odd.

**Time Sensitive**

In Clarksburg (less than 5 miles of the Montgomery/Frederick border) it has been snowing moderate to heavy all morning!  the radar is not doing the justice either.  I am really impressed with the rates. 

Archived