joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol the weather channel is still calling for an additional 3-5" for DC proper. And yes, they literally just said to add that to whatever is on the ground now.

Sent from my Nexus 7

they follow the GFS to a tee, so when the 12Z came out at 10:30 and showed DCA in the .25-.49" qpf total for the rest of the event per the map below, they ran with it

http://www.chart.state.md.us/MapNet/MapDOTNET.aspx?Browser=IE7&ViewName=Select&Cmd=switchtheme&tab=VideoAndCamera&DoPanTo=False&Direction=&PanFactor=&DoZoomScaleFactor=&x=&y=&Encoder=&timestamp=47921&x1=0&x2=0&y2=0&y1=0&gCenterLat=null&gCenterLon=null&gZoomLvl=null

had they subtracted the period from 7AM-10AM, which they obviously failed to do, they would have seen this map

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_015_precip_p12.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=precip_p12&fhr=015&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140303+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Just to assess it so far really this has just been mositure along an arctic front. Don't really ever see and counter clockwise roatation indicating any organized low. So the moisture jsut moved along the front until the front pushed through with no low to "push back". Pretty glad we did not have to overcome 60+ in DC metro yesterday as took a while to changeover here, did not happen until 3:45am.

Dont let post like this concern you guys to the east. My snow stopped for almost an hour And I am getting my heaviest snow of the day right now. If you get under the good returns you will get dumped on.

Yep, snowing like crazy in Middletown.  Sure hope it is at my house in Stephens City.  I've picked up almost 2" here in the past 90 min.  This snow, unlike the early morning stuff, is really fluffy high-ratio.  Accumulates very quickly, and is just gorgeous.  Notice the wind is very calm here now as well.

Archived