joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh.. he plays it smart by always assuming DC will do poorly but that doesn't always work out.

but playing climo all the time leads to its own set of busts and really is a lazy way of forecasting imho

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't take into account climo, rather, simply saying "it never snows here" isn't forecasting any more than weenies repeatedly forecasting double what the models show is forecasting

Dewpoints are still adequate..the dryslot is essentially a wedge of sinking air. Nothing precludes the return of precip in areas temporarily shut off.

I have a friend in Poolesville. It had stopped snowing there for 15 min..now snowing moderately again.

Well I can confirm that Im under 20-25 dbz and can barely see a stray flurry so maybe it varies a little...point is, dont expect much more accumulation.

but playing climo all the time leads to its own set of busts and really is a lazy way of forecasting imho

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't take into account climo, rather, simply saying "it never snows here" isn't forecasting any more than weenies repeatedly forecasting double what the models show is forecasting

Yes I agree. It should be factored in as to not predict a record for the month or an unusual wintertime event without being totally sure of such but many will always run to "DC fail" just because. I don't think Bob does that and I'm sure he had reasoning to be skeptical but he is also known for playing catch up once it's underway in a lot of good storms.

Hasn't stopped snowing in #NavyYard... very good rates since 7am.

The snow now is fluffier than earlier... will go out and do a final measurement once it stopped. Had around 3 inches as of 9am but it is also hard to measure due to the high winds and blowing snow.

Hoping we can get another hour or two out of the storm... may be able to get to 5 inches if rates are good enough.

but with NE winds gusting to 45mph, that storm was memorable to me.  Got 4.5" from 3/6/13.

I got 5 but hated seeing the snowpack diminish despite light to moderate snow falling throughout the entire day. I think the temp even spiked in the early evening into the upper 30's. The early morning hours were good though.

Archived